Pellet Storage Containers

Cowboykirch

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I recently purchased my Bull RT-700 grill. I ended up ordering my initial pellets directly from Amazon.

I got the 40 pound bag of Rectec Ultimate Blend & multiple 20 pound bags of Traeger flavored pellets. With 100 pounds of pellets on hand, I had to come up with a way to store them. I live in MN so humidity is only really a concern during the summer months. I'm storing the pellets in my garage.

I settled on these pet food storage containers:
Note, the 35 pound container fits the 40 pound bag of ultimate blend pellets & the 15 pound container fits the 20 pound bag of Traeger pellets. Included with the storage containers is a 1 cup measuring scoop. For labeling them, I just used colored ink jet printer labels to differentiate the flavors of pellets.

These are airtight which I realize isn't always desirable based on what I've read in some of the posts. I will see how long these hold up, but I'm impressed with initial quality. If you look at the bags the pellets are shipped in, I believe some have small holes in them for the pellets to breathe??

Additionally, I ordered a 2 cup scoop which I figured would come in handy for getting pellets out of the storage container, as well as, removing pellets from the hopper should I need to change pellets. I know some people talk about using a bucket vac and attaching to a 5 gallon pail, although reviews on those seem mixed and a small scoop is considerably cheaper than a shop vac bucket head.

Knowing that the grill burns ~1# pellets/hour, I intend to use my kitchen scale to find a small pail (thinking like a small paint pail) that holds ~1 pounds of pellets so I can use that as my gauge. Clearly overkill, but I've caught the pellet grill craze!

What are others using to store their pellets? I imagine some keep in the original bags on a shelf in their garage.

Last edited:
Thanks for the idea, I just ordered one. As for it being air-tight, you could always leave the lid untightened just a bit to allow the pellets to 'breathe'.

With two Great Danes and a Golden Retriever, our dog food container is a 20-gallon steel trash can. ?

I store my pellets in their bag, the current open bag of pellets gets stored in a Home Depot bucket with a gamma lid to keep moisture out.

Un-opened bags of pellets I stack on shelves in the garage. I live in NJ so I have high heat and humidity in the summer and pretty cold in the winter. For the past three years has not been an issue during any season. When I open a bag I have a dog food container that holds up to 35# and has a removable lid, and a pouring spout. I pour from the spout to fill the hopper. Works for me. Your Vittles Vault is a similar concept, should be good to go.

A buddy of mine and I were just talking about this. We are in Phoenix. I just picked up the BFG RT-2500 and noticed that I’m not getting much smoke, even at low temps. I’m coming from a Masterbuilt electric that I’d feed with soaked chips, so perhaps my expectations were skewed. He’s a RECTEC pro at this point, so we were discussing adjusting the feed rate and also the possibility of the moisture content in the pellets when the sit in the hopper. Both of us are gonna give this a try and I’ll report back if we get success.

Well, I ended up with a pair of VV Outback 60 lb containers......………….not because I'm all that into "bigger is better" but because they were gifted to me by my bride. She'd been using them out at the horse barn for food. Near as I can figure these probably weren't expensive or exotic enough for horse people. You think outdoor cooking fiends are gadget-holics? You should see horsey people...…...……...……...………:rolleyes: Anyway, to compensate for the extravagance of the container my scoop is homemade from a half gallon plastic milk container with the bottom cut off. So far storing in the original, unopened bag in the garage hasn't caused any issues, I only use the container for the excess from an opened bag.

I highly recommend Space Bags by ziplock. You can vacuum all the air out and keep moisture out. Your pellets will stay fresh much longer and perform better when stored over time vs. containers with o-ring seals.

Okay, so your kids, spouse, or neighbor are raggin' on ya for the goofy sayings on your apron, the tired ol' ball cap you wear when cookin', or how you love that special set of tongs you use with the rosewood handles. Like I said above, we ain't got nuttin' on horsey peeps. My bride is itchin' to get one of these fly masks for her nag...……………..
horse mask.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back