Perused the Yoder forums

dsandersus

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
One of the smokers I was considering during my research was Yoder, I just recently (today) visited their forum (available via their website) and found the following entry, which blew me away and was posted by an admin.

Topic Title: I set the temperature at startup and it goes way too high
The normal process of starting a Yoder pellet cooker consists of the following REQUIRED steps (removal of grates, etc. are intentionally left out to highlight just the required steps):

1. Clean all the ash and pellets from the burn grate and firebox.
2. Verify the integrity of the silicone seal around the firebox and in the body of the cooker. (full information is in the manuals viewtopic.php?f=49&t=153)
3. Verify the burn grate fits correctly and tightly in the firebox. (full information is in the manuals viewtopic.php?f=49&t=153)
4. Plug the cooker into power. If the cooker is already plugged into power, you MUST unplug the cooker from power for a minimum of 30 seconds, then plug it back into power.
5. Flip the power switch to the ON position. The display will show the currently installed firmware for 2 seconds, the blue power light will illuminate and the fans will start running.
6. Push the START button. The display will show the default 350 set temperature, and the heat up mode will be displayed (dashes going up from lower left to upper right), pellets will start dropping. If desired, the cooking temperature may now be changed from the default 350 degrees.
7. Verify that the fire has started BEFORE walking away. The ignition process should be complete within 5 minutes after pushing start. If you don't see and/or hear fire in the cooker, turn the cooker off, and go back to step one and start over. Do NOT just try to restart the cooker without beginning again at step 1.
8. Walk away from the cooker for at least 30 minutes to allow the cooker to go through the heat up and normalization process. During this time the cooker may overshoot the set temperature, and/or may drop below the set temperature. These are all normal during the first 30 to 45 minutes after pushing the START button.
9. Do NOT put food on the cooker during the first 30 minutes.
10. Do NOT constantly change the set temperature in an attempt to make the cooker work the way you "think" it should. Trust it, leave it alone, it will normalize to the set temperature you have set.

At the 8 minute mark after pushing the START button, push and hold the START button until the current "H" mode is displayed. The following are absolutes, and completely normal, given the displayed "H" mode:

H1 - The cooker will go into maintenance mode before the set temperature.
H2 - The cooker will go into maintenance mode at the set temperature. There can be up to a 75 degree +/- overshoot of the set temperature.
H3 - The cooker will go into maintenance mode at the set temperature. There can be up to a 150 degree +/- overshoot of the set temperature.

Please remember, you are cooking with a wood fire, so there will be temperature swings. The cooker will not hit your set temperature and just stay there. As pellets are added and burned, the temperature will go above and below your set temperature, sometimes more sometimes less. Why? Grab a handful of pellets, are they all the same length? With each turn of the auger, what falls, all short pellets, all long pellets or an unknown mixture of each? With a wood fire, you must work with the average temperature over time. Want to prove to yourself that the cooker is working, do this test: download/Best%20Practice%20and%20how%20to/Yoder%20Pellet%20Temperature%20Test.pdf

If you want the best possible experience and outcome with your cooker, follow this best practice: download/Best%20Practice%20and%20how%20to/Recommend%20procedure%20for%20starting%20up%20a%20Yoder%20pellet%20cooker.pdf

Glad I went with RT, for no other reason than ease of use... I totally dodged a bullet there...

That is insane....they expect you to do that at every start up?!?

On my Bull, I just open an app and flip it to ...on...lol I Must be doing something wrong!! :rolleyes:

Damn that's insane! That's to much work. We buy pellet smokers for the ease of use. If I want to work hard I'd go back to stick burning haha

@NU2SMOKE @ndfan6464 That is what I was thinking as well... *shrug*

I was scratching my head when I read this
"Please remember, you are cooking with a wood fire, so there will be temperature swings. The cooker will not hit your set temperature and just stay there. As pellets are added and burned, the temperature will go above and below your set temperature, sometimes more sometimes less. "

I wanted to reply and say, so... have you ever checked out the Rec Tec site, they'll gladly school you in their PID controller technology.. :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back