Bull Photos of Brisket and large shelf?

oldschool

Can members post photos of the Bull with the Large Shelf in it and briskets along with the rest of the grill being full?

I am trying to decide on the Bull or not. I'd be using it at home but also using it a competitions and I'd need to cook 2 ~15lb briskets, 3 racks of ribs and 3 small chickens halved. I am trying to figure out the internal dimensions and if it would be enough room with the curvature of the pit and I figured there's got to be other cookers here with photos of this thing loaded up with briskets and ribs and chicken with the shelf right?

Post those photos please!

I would like to see this as well. Been considering the shelf myself and cant decide on small or large. Im leaning toward small so i could have larger items off to the side (think turkey).

Hi @oldschool. I cannot help you with pic of brisket or chickens to show size of pit. I have the 680 which is older version of the Bull and the same size pit. Here are some pics of a cook I did a few years ago. It was for a graduation party. I had six 10# butts on the pit. Five on the main grate and one on the shelf. I could have easily put another two butts on the shelf for close to 80# of meat in the pit. It is what I should have done since there was ZERO pulled pork left over from the party. This beast will hold a lot of meat!!!!!

Sorry I am not grate with the pics

Hope this helps you.

Six Butts.JPG
Six butts on pit.JPG
Six butts coming off pit.JPG
Six butts pulled.JPG

Just to add more thoughts to this and break out of linear thinking. Most folks think the "large" shelf for the 700, "small" shelf for the 590, and that's the way RT pushes them. There's a kicker though. The small shelf is 18 long which fits the 700 nicely...……...front to back (both cookers have roughly 19+" depth). The small is 9 5/8 deep, but if you line three of them up side by side in the long dimension front to back orientation you have an upper deck covering a tad over 3/4 of the main grate. Play with the orientation some more based on shapes of the chosen meats and you have several more options for configuring rather than just one large shelf (at 11" deep you can only get one in there). I don't have a 700 to measure the actual width of the cook chamber (RT publishes 36" but that may only be the grate not the housing) there might even be room for 4 small ones. You do give up just over 1" of under height with the small which measures 2 7/8". Lots of flexibility available without re-engineering the unit.

Just to add more thoughts to this and break out of linear thinking. Most folks think the "large" shelf for the 700, "small" shelf for the 590, and that's the way RT pushes them. There's a kicker though. The small shelf is 18 long which fits the 700 nicely...……...front to back (both cookers have roughly 19+" depth). The small is 9 5/8 deep, but if you line three of them up side by side in the long dimension front to back orientation you have an upper deck covering a tad over 3/4 of the main grate. Play with the orientation some more based on shapes of the chosen meats and you have several more options for configuring rather than just one large shelf (at 11" deep you can only get one in there). I don't have a 700 to measure the actual width of the cook chamber (RT publishes 36" but that may only be the grate not the housing) there might even be room for 4 small ones. You do give up just over 1" of under height with the small which measures 2 7/8". Lots of flexibility available without re-engineering the unit.

I've been looking at those. I need more space for jerky! But when you put them front to back, do the legs get in the way trying to access stuff on the bottom?

I'd like three but that gets pretty expensive.

I've been looking at those. I need more space for jerky! But when you put them front to back, do the legs get in the way trying to access stuff on the bottom?

I'd like three but that gets pretty expensive.
Both are good points though in the end, as is so often the case, it's a matter of what the alternatives are. Not wanting to spend a bunch of time researching what those might be I'll just work with the RT pieces as the info is readily at hand.

On the first point of the legs causing an obstruction resulting in some sort of monkey motion to access the bottom stuff. Short of re-engineering the cooking box (either 590 or 700), without having grates that slide out for open access you're going to have to go through some level of monkey motion, so it's an attitude adjustment any way you cut it, just how much can/will you tolerate. Slide out grates are very available in commercial units, less so in these home ones.

On the second point, household budgets not withstanding, let's look at it as a cost per square inch. The large shelf costs 18.5 cents per inch. The small shelf 23.5 cents. A 700 owner can only gain 352 added inches of cooking space for a cost of $65 with the large one. The 590 owner, or the 700 owner, who goes with 3 of the small units gains 513 square inches for $135 (roughly double the large shelf in cost). In gross dollars more expensive, but the return is more usable space and added flexibility to arrange for a larger number of mixed uses.

Bonus round. This just popped into my head, and isn't something I'd necessarily advocate for strongly, but it is thought provoking. So, take the 590 add the three small shelves and you end up with 1103 sq inches of grate space. Adding the large shelf to the 700 and you end up with 1052 sq inches. So with the 590 you end up with more grate space than the 700 for $300 dollars less, minus the additional shelf cost of $70 for a net savings of $230 for 50 more square inches of grate space. Now, who can't line up for that....................... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:;)

Great photos guys! I started the thread because I was actually leaning towards the Traeger Timberline 1300 and felt it had more room and better features but I'm now leaning towards the RT700 Gold Package for the same exact price but some extras like the smoke box for additional room and heating etc. I was worried about the room and vertical clearance mainly but it looks like I should be able to accommodate what I need with the shelf.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back