Bull pizza

I have cooked a couple of Papa Murphys and 1 Sams Club take-n-bake on my Bull. Turned out very good. I have cooked only 1 on a pizza stone.

Oh yeah!

Homemade pan pizza

PIE!.jpg

I have not done a homemade pizza yet, but have several Papa Murphy's under my belt.

Using a Baking Steel instead of stone. Have broken too many stones in the past just in the oven.

If you find your crust is not crisp enough, turn your heat up 5 or 10 degrees, depending on outside temps.
I put my Smoke heat probe in and had a 5 - 10 degree differential from the RT heat probe and the grate temps.

i just screwed two up tonight. I am 0 for 3 on pizzas. been using the Costco take and bakes. they say bake at 400 degrees 15-20 mins. I find the bottom burns on the crust.

What suggestions out there to improve my results?

i just screwed two up tonight. I am 0 for 3 on pizzas. been using the Costco take and bakes. they say bake at 400 degrees 15-20 mins. I find the bottom burns on the crust.

What suggestions out there to improve my results?

How are you placing them in the pit? Stone? Screen? on the grate? I'd recommend on a stone and also recommend you bump the temp to about as high as you're comfortable running your Rectec. Let the stone heat at least 40 mins or more (after putting it in a preheated pit. Use an IR thermometer to check the stone temp. If you run at 500F you'll have to check it beginning around 7-8 mins. Check the bottom of the crust by lifting it with the peel and peeking at the doneness.

For the record, I'm not a fan of baking a pizza in a pit, mainly because you're blind to seeing when it's done without letting all the heat out, but specifically, pizza cooked at temps below 600F tend to be relatively tough crust. I became a bit of a pizza snob after getting specialized high temp pizza oven and learning the ways of Neapolitan pizza cooked at 800-900F using Italian flour and ingredients.

If you want to learn pizza, Pizzamaking.com is the place to learn more than you can imagine.

Attachments

• DSC_1246.JPG
    11.7 MB · Views: 79
  • DSC_1290.JPG
    10.9 MB · Views: 84
  • DSC_1294.JPG
    12.1 MB · Views: 71
  • DSC_1243.JPG
    14.3 MB · Views: 66
If you want to learn pizza, Pizzamaking.com is the place to learn more than you can imagine.

Wow; that is quite an exhaustive site! I'm diggin' the 18" LBE and I have a spare 18" Kettle growing dust just because it was on clearance :)

this is very helpful. To be honest in my failures i thought it was the temps were too high causing the problem. so, i kept back them down. So, this explains how i was making it worse. I have a stone but did not use it. I will try it this way. My wife is very afraid of me reading more about specialized pizza oven equipment. I LOVE a wood fired or charcoal pizza.

A very good friend of mine invested in a restaurant in NJ several years ago. They purchased a very expensive charcoal brick oven and their pizza was OFF THE CHARTS! I have never been able to replicate that...

Pizzamaking.com is the best site to go to for a pizza making coma making experience. I like the stone set up on my chargriller set up. I have used a screen on my Trailblazer with much success. I'm thinking of getting a steel and play around with it. I love my stone, it's the composite blend, though it does tend to produce some odor, from previous pies, as it bakes. My best tool is a 13" cast iron for all sort of pizzas and calazones.

I have been doing more research (yes on pizza ovens not my smoker - ha). I am 100% sure now i screwed up my smoked pizzas. The recommendations shared here were spot on.

I need to use a stone or steel. It MUST be hot (e.g. stones as close to 500 as i can get it. And the pit should be on high. I screwed it up completely. Lower temps and on grates. So i got smoky burnt pizza.

I will say... a Pizza oven is absolutely in my future.... Summer 2020 for sure... already informed my wife. ha!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back