Pork Pork Belly Ideas.

Infantryman

Military Veteran
I'm looking for some advice and ideas from you helpful and knowledgeable folks on what to do with this Pork Belly I was lucky enough to find at Costco today.

20200526_112652.jpg

I understand that it's used for bacon and it's uncured and unsmoked. I've never smoked, fried, grilled or baked Pork Belly. Just a part of the swine I have no experience with.

Unfortunately it's not the whole belly, but sliced into approx. 1 1/2" - 2" thick slices. I figure I can make something tasty from it though!

I'm looking for smoking/grilling temps, what temp you figure it's considered done at and maybe how you folks prepare it with rubs/sauces, etc.

Any help and tips offered from new Bbq'ers and seasoned pitmasters alike would be awesome and I consider any and all tips given. Thanks!

I'm looking for some advice and ideas from you helpful and knowledgeable folks on what to do with this Pork Belly I was lucky enough to find at Costco today.

View attachment 4263

I understand that it's used for bacon and it's uncured and unsmoked. I've never smoked, fried, grilled or baked Pork Belly. Just a part of the swine I have no experience with.

Unfortunately it's not the whole belly, but sliced into approx. 1 1/2" - 2" thick slices. I figure I can make something tasty from it though!

I'm looking for smoking/grilling temps, what temp you figure it's considered done at and maybe how you folks prepare it with rubs/sauces, etc.

Any help and tips offered from new Bbq'ers and seasoned pitmasters alike would be awesome and I consider any and all tips given. Thanks!
I know this is not exactly what you have now but I have made this a dozen times, on my stick burner pit. It’s amazing. Recipe looks worse than it is. Go greenies ! ??
GATHER YOUR INGREDIENTS

1 (3-pound) skin-on center-cut fresh pork belly, about 1 1/2 inches thick

Kosher salt

2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar

Vegetable oil
VIEW INGREDIENTS
View Nutritional Informationi
KEY EQUIPMENT
KEY EQUIPMENT - Paring Knives

Paring Knives
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
This recipe requires seasoning and refrigerating the pork belly for at least 12 hours before cooking. Be sure to ask for a flat, rectangular center-cut section of skin-on pork belly that’s 1 1/2 inches thick with roughly equal amounts of meat and fat. Serve the meat in small portions with our Spicy Mustard Sauce, Sweet and Sour Chile Sauce, or Tangy Hoisin Sauce, plus white rice and steamed greens or boiled potatoes and salad.
INSTRUCTIONS
Using sharp chef’s knife, slice pork belly lengthwise into 3 strips about 2 inches wide, then make 1/4-inch-deep crosswise cuts through skin and into fat spaced 1/2 inch apart. Combine 2 tablespoons salt and brown sugar in small bowl. Rub salt mixture into bottom and sides of pork belly (do not rub into skin). Season skin of each strip evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place pork belly, skin side up, in 13 by 9-inch baking dish and refrigerate, uncovered, for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours.

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 250 degrees. Transfer pork belly, skin side up, to lightly greased wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet. Roast pork belly until meat registers 195 degrees and paring knife inserted in meat meets little resistance, 3 to 3 1/2 hours, rotating sheet halfway through roasting.

Transfer pork belly, skin side up, to large plate. (Pork belly can be held at room temperature for up to 1 hour.) Pour fat from sheet into 1-cup liquid measuring cup. Add vegetable oil as needed to equal 1 cup and transfer to 12-inch skillet. Arrange pork belly, skin side down, in skillet (strips can be sliced in half crosswise if skillet won’t fit strips whole) and place over medium heat until bubbles form around pork belly. Continue to fry, tilting skillet occasionally to even out hot spots, until skin puffs, crisps, and turns golden, 6 to 10 minutes. Transfer pork belly, skin side up, to carving board and let rest for 5 minutes. Flip pork belly on its side and slice 1/2 inch thick (being sure to slice through original score marks). Reinvert slices and serve.

Thanks to everyone who responded..............all the ideas look great! Now, deciding which one to do may be somewhat tough. :D

I'll post pics and cooking notes (for those inclined) when I make the Pork Belly.

I decided to start from the top of the list of recipe ideas that folks were nice enough share with me because I couldn't decide which one to go with first. So, I went with the Pork Belly Burnt Ends. I followed the recipe link almost exactly.

20200531_150447.jpg

275°F for 2hrs
275°F covered with foil in a pan
350°F for 15 mins to set the added glaze.

20200531_173817.jpg

First off, the rub from the recipe was fantastic, real good for pork. I also made the BBQ sauce recipe listed, substituting a mustard based vinegar BBQ sauce for the ketchup, no changes other than that. The sauce was delicious.

I'll be honest with you it was awesome, the pork was tender, juicy and addictive!

I decided to start from the top of the list of recipe ideas that folks were nice enough share with me because I couldn't decide which one to go with first. So, I went with the Pork Belly Burnt Ends. I followed the recipe link almost exactly.

View attachment 4481

275°F for 2hrs
275°F covered with foil in a pan
350°F for 15 mins to set the added glaze.

View attachment 4482

First off, the rub from the recipe was fantastic, real good for pork. I also made the BBQ sauce recipe listed, substituting a mustard based vinegar BBQ sauce for the ketchup, no changes other than that. The sauce was delicious.

I'll be honest with you it was awesome, the pork was tender, juicy and addictive!
OMG Me and my dog Honey mouths, are drooling looking at this, they look like they came out great, if the wind was blowing a different direction Honey would have her nose up in the air and be sniffing them from here.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back