Premium members don't see ads.Click hereto upgrade.

Pork Pork Belly Smoked Bacon

Greg Jones

Grill(s) owned
Bull
I made my own bacon from pork belly yesterday, and I can’t believe I waited this long to do this. The results were phenomenal! For the recipe, I started with a 4.5# Costco belly and followed Steven Raichlen’s recipe to the letter. He posts the steps to do this Linked Here

For the actual smoking part, I put the belly fat side up on a wire rack and placed the rack on the large shelf of my Bull. I then lit a smoke tube with cherry wood pellets and put that on the main grate. I set the temp to Xtreme smoke and let it go until it hit an internal temp of 150*. Raichlen stated that this should take 4 hours, but in my case it was closer to 5-½ hours. I then let it cool, and covered it in the fridge overnight. This morning I sliced it and tried a piece and I don’t know how it could be better. One of the nice benefits of smoking It on the wire rack is that it made nice grid lines that made slicing the bacon a breeze.

If y’all haven’t tried this before and you like bacon, give it a go. The only thing I might do differently next time is to use hickory pellets in the smoke tube. D407565A-7DF3-419F-BE26-AB030AA612E5.jpeg50B7D966-6445-4497-A55A-E7C6630CFD69.jpeg47D1CE62-F236-4ECC-8856-CDDD70BECC96.jpeg

Buckeye smoker

Grill(s) owned
Bull
Excellent job. I have a buddy that did this also,and got his meat at the same place. Thanks, now I have to try this for sure !..haha

Barry

Grill(s) owned
Stampede
Good job! Once you find a cure you like, and you get it dialed in there is nothing better than homemade bacon. I’ve tried a number of cures and found that the sugar cure from Curley’s Sausage Kitchen works the best. It's straight forward and easy to use. I probably make about 100 lbs per year. My friends line up when I tell them I’m smoking bacon.

Latest posts