Pork Butt Success

Gotbbq

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Pork butt for dinner tonight. Served on King’s Hawaiian Rolls with spicy coleslaw. The bark was good. Good smoke ring. I made first beef jerky. Needs work. Anyone ever use the lumberjack mesquite? Thoughts?

Attachments

• A17CC178-1D24-4144-8CA9-91CD2F8DF2AE.jpeg
    A17CC178-1D24-4144-8CA9-91CD2F8DF2AE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 121
  • 26989F55-C405-43BC-BA97-7BCB8FCC9934.jpeg
    26989F55-C405-43BC-BA97-7BCB8FCC9934.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 101
  • A14F7D14-3073-4C2F-9646-7447395E02AD.jpeg
    A14F7D14-3073-4C2F-9646-7447395E02AD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 94
Sure looks might fine. I'm smoking one in the morning, plenty of food to come, that's for sure. I noticed Crown maple syrup in the background. That stuff is amazing. Did you use any on your smoke?

Sure looks might fine. I'm smoking one in the morning, plenty of food to come, that's for sure. I noticed Crown maple syrup in the background. That stuff is amazing. Did you use any on your smoke?
The crown maple syrup is made not far from where I live. It’s great. I used the applewood smoked crown in the mop and again in the coleslaw. It adds a nice touch.

Looks great brother. Bark looks perfect.

As far as the lumberjack goes, I've used just about every flavor they make available and honestly, I love them all. Probably not the answer your looking for but I truly dont have anything bad to say about them. I live in one of the most humid places on Gods creations and they have never failed being subject to the humidity. I cant say how they do under cold temps since well it gets maybe down to 19 or 20 degrees here 4 or 5 days a year here..

Looks great brother. Bark looks perfect.

As far as the lumberjack goes, I've used just about every flavor they make available and honestly, I love them all. Probably not the answer your looking for but I truly dont have anything bad to say about them. I live in one of the most humid places on Gods creations and they have never failed being subject to the humidity. I cant say how they do under cold temps since well it gets maybe down to 19 or 20 degrees here 4 or 5 days a year here..
Thanks, I was really wondering if anyone found the mesquite very strong, i didn't. It was good. I use both rec tec and lumberjack exclusively.

I am usually not a big fan of mesquite because yeah it can be strong. But I dont mind it some much with Lumberjack...

Now it could be that pellet smoking doesnt give as strong of a smoke flavor, if not using tubes, so that could be why it's not as strong. I just started pellet smoke about a year ago and have notice big differences between traditional and pellet smoke...

Looks great!
I've been using Lumberjack Cherry. Great flavor. I plan on shifting to Lumberjack completely, once I burn thru the 400 lbs of Rectec Ultimate blend. I've been mixing apple, cherry, or mesquite into the Rectec Ult blend, to get the flavors I want. I reserve the mesquite for beef. Beef has such a big bold flavor, it needs the boldness of mesquite. I might use it for lamb as well. But, for fish, pork and chicken, I'm a fan of the lighter flavors of apple, cherry, other fruitwoods, and maple. If I could only have one wood to use, I'd probably pick apple, but maybe cherry. Either of those are my favorites.

I am usually not a big fan of mesquite because yeah it can be strong. But I dont mind it some much with Lumberjack...

Now it could be that pellet smoking doesnt give as strong of a smoke flavor, if not using tubes, so that could be why it's not as strong. I just started pellet smoke about a year ago and have notice big differences between traditional and pellet smoke...

Lumberjack comes in two varieties of Mesquite pellets. One is a Mesquite Blend that is 60% Oak/40% Mesquite. The other is a 100% Mesquite. Straight mesquite can be pretty strong and it doesn't take long to get the smoke flavors I need for my beef bbq.

If you want more smoke flavor in your bbq, try running on LO for a couple hours then step up to 225F or your usual bbq temp.

Lumberjack comes in two varieties of Mesquite pellets. One is a Mesquite Blend that is 60% Oak/40% Mesquite. The other is a 100% Mesquite. Straight mesquite can be pretty strong and it doesn't take long to get the smoke flavors I need for my beef bbq.

If you want more smoke flavor in your bbq, try running on LO for a couple hours then step up to 225F or your usual bbq temp.
Yeah, I got the 100% mesquite. I was going to mix it with some other pellets but forgot and used it straight. It was ok. A touch strong. I'm a fan of the hickory, apple and cherry. I've used low at times. Just depends if I have an extra couple of hours. Headquarters often decides she wants BBQ for dinner towards late afternoon. Who am i to say no.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back