Pork Butt - Too Foil or not to foil?

ccmjr77

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I cooked a pork butt on my Bull yesterday. I was working from home and had a doctors appointment and Food Lion had Pork butt for $.99/lb. I wanted to make sure it got done so I wrapped in foil at around 165, which I normally cook pork butt without wrapping. Now I know why, I dont wrap pork. I have wrapped brisket and chuck roast and it came out with a nice bark anyway. The pork butt was juicy and finished much sooner, but I like more of a crunchy bark and dont mind it a little dryer. The pork tasted good, but bark seemed lighter and soggy. Do you use foil most of the time or what is your preference.

Since I left the house for a while for the appointment it was the first time I used the app away from home, pretty cool to monitor the cook from miles away...

I did a hybrid version yesterday. 9 lb butt took a total of 16 hours. I do not wrap at first. I do a full smoke for an hour, then do 225 until internal temp reaches 165. Then I wrap with pink butcher paper, and finish until 205. Bark was firm, but not what I would call crunchy, but very tasty.

My wife rolls her eyes when I mention the app. Yesterday I had to take my dog to the vet before it was done, so I was able to turn off the grill while away. Having the grill on while away is not something I'm keen on, but it was handy yesterday since no one else was home.

I usually inject my butts and on the pit at 225 until it reaches around 165 then I wrap in foil and pull at 205 checking to ensure it is tender. FTC for at least an hour then pull the pork.

I try not to wrap anything unless i run out of time and need to speed things up.

I don't wrap either. But, a buddy that does this for a living is begging me to try it again to cut down times. I think I might go with the "hybrid" technique mentioned next time. Try to get the smoke and bark and then wrap later than most.

Hell sometimes I leave the lid open just so I can smoke longer! Lol JUST KIDDING.
No wrap for me on anything either. Sure it takes longer but isn't that why we use a pellet grill in the first place. Low and slow...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back