Pork Chops- Hot and Fast or Low & Slow

Luscombe

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I have a couple of 1" thick bone-in chops and a couple of 1/2" boneless chops I am going to cook for dinner tonight.
What is your favorite way to cook pork chops, Hot and Fast searing at 500 degrees or Low and slow say 250 degrees?

I applied a dry brine to them last night and they are in the fridge now.

Let me know your thoughts.

My favorite preparation for pork chops (I prefer bone in) is to brine and then cook on high heat. I usually make a simple brine and include a can of ginger beer (there is no alcohol in ginger beer) as part of the brine. I let the chops stay in the fridge on the brine 4-6 hours, rinse and dry and then apply my favorite all purpose rub. I like the high heat to get a good sear on the chops and cook until they reach 145 internal.

They are good when cooked on gas grill, outstanding when cooked with the pellet grill, but I have to say they are best when cooked over charcoal.

Well, I have seen more recipes in favor of sear marks than low and slow..
So I will sear them at 450 and let you know how they turn out.

I debate the dry vs wet brine and thought I would try the dry brine this time.
Thanks for the suggestion on the ginger beer. Mine usually goes in a dark and stormy:)

I like the reverse sear for the 1" ones. Give it some smoke on low for 30 minutes or so, pull them off, crank up the heat, then sear them.

1/2" doesn't reverse sear as well, probably just hot and fast for those.

Well, I did them at 470 on the sear bars. Pulled them at about 140-145. they were very moist and flavorful. the thicker ones were more tender than the thinner one. In fact, the tenderloin part of the bone in had a texture like Ahi Tuna, almost melt in your mouth, that part was really good. The Loin portion had a bit firmer texture. All of these were better than the best pork chops I have had at my go to BBQ restaurant. The key is the brining :).

Next time it will be 1" or thicker, bone-in, wet brine, dry rub and reverse sear. I will low an slow to 120 IT then pull crank up the heat and glaze a honey mustard sauce and sear at 500, pulling at 140

Thanks for the insights.

I will usually leave the Bull covered up and break out the Bullseye for chops. I like to sear them initially around 400° and then lower the temp down to cook the internals slower. This way gives me a nice sear yet juicy insides. I pull them when IT hits 145°.

I like that approach. I don't have a bullseye. I am running out of room on my deck.
I did buy a vortex for my BGE and will use it in combo with the Stampede next time.

Hey, they were still real tasty!. For me, the key was the overnight brine. It added lots of moisture and flavor.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back