Pork Loin Sirloin Roast

CoachWDE

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Was planning on smoking a few butts for the fourth but everywhere around me sold out.

Guy at Publix said they putt these bones less lean pork sirloin roast out and better quality than butt. I picked up two.

Anyone done them can I cook it same as butt? Will it pull like butt? Trying to determine if hang my hat on these or go get something else. Thanks

Pork loin roasts are very lean rather bland in taste. It's basically the center of a pork loin chop minus the bone. I have never cooked one on my grill. You can cook it whole or cut it into chops.

It would benefit from being brined or injected if you were making it as a roast or thick chops.

I think if I were going to do this, I would butterfly the roast and use a herb, garlic and pancetta (or something fatty) mixture to spread onto the roast. Roll it up and tie it every inch and a half or so.

Remember, I have not done this, but I am a chef and I have used this cut of meat many times. Disclaimer... never smoked it.

I would cook it at 225 until the internal temperature reached 135-140 and then take it off. Let rest 15-30 minutes.

I'm sure others have done this and could offer you advice.

Happy 4th!!

Hey Coach loin has much less fat content than shoulder/butt so I do not think it would do well cooking like a shoulder or butt. You do have a lot of options, which have been demonstrated by others on this site. You can wrap in bacon and cook to internal of 145-165 depending on how you like your pork, keeping in mind the higher the internal the more it will dry out. You can cook the roast without bacon and just your favorite rub. Or you can slice into individual steaks, and voila you have home boneless pork chops. Let us know how you make out. If you do wind up cooking like a butt will be very interested to hear and see your method and the outcome. Enjoy the holiday.

I have not done them as pulled pork. I cook them at 350 for about 1.5 hours to get to 145 degrees.

I used this recipe for first time making just for the rub mixture and cooking temp:

https://barefeetinthekitchen.com/herb-rubbed-sirloin-tip-pork-roas/

Now, I put on my other rubs. Wife and I like them as they are quicker cooks and come out as Pork steaks when sliced. I get mine from Costco who sells them as 4 pack for like $20. They weigh about 2 lbs each or so. As others have said, they are leaner and probably not good for pulled pork.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back