Pork shoulder cook temp

Rmcb33

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hey RECTEC fam. I am going to be making pulled pork for 4th of July and wanted to find a nice 8-10 pounder. Unfortunately they only had baby 4 pounders so I bought two. Usually the smoke calls for 225 but since they are smaller should I lower the temp even more to make sure I get a nice smoke on them.
Thanks for the help!

I am a new Rec Tec owner (RT-700) and can only repeat what I have heard. The 700 can be run at the lowest temperature setting around 200F for the first hour or so to increase smoke, but you will need to add that onto your total cook time. Then crank the temperature up to 225F. The smoke is absorbed in only the first couple of hours. You will be cooking a lot longer than that and will need to reach an internal temperature of about 190-200F for pulled pork. Another way to increase smoke is to use a smoke tube, but it i probably too late to get one if you do not already have it.

A lot of the time I'll run on Low for an hour to get extra smoke. Then go up to 225 or 250. But no need to reduce temp just because these are smaller cuts.

I use Amazingribs.com for all my smoking info. I’m a rookie at this, and when I follow his advice, my meat is always great!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back