(Prime) prime rib roast advice

Schlitzy

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I got a USDA Prime grade rib roast at my local Sam's Club. I am planning to put it on my RT700 tomorrow for Easter dinner. I watched videos by Malcom Reed and RecTec Chef Greg, who both cooked their roasts at 275-300F. Since pellets don't make as much smoke at these temps, I was thinking of adding my smoke tube with some hickory pellets to enhance the smokey flavor. Any feedback on doing this? I just bought the tube, so I don't have any experience with it yet. Thanks.

You will get plenty of clean smoke at 275/300, last thing I would want is too much smoke flavor which can happen from a smoke tube or such. Could always do at 250, that's the temp I smoke most meat at and the smoke flavor is right on par IMHO.

If you want a nice smoke flavor without overpowering the Prime Rib you can start at 180-200 for 30-60 minutes then crank it to 400-450 to quasi sear it until it reaches the temp you want.

If you buy it with the bones on, think about cutting off the slab of ribs in the kitchen after cooking the roast, and leave 1/2" of meat on them. Put some rub on the side that separated from the eye and put it on your smoker til it gets good bark, wrap and cook to tender.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back