Beef Prime rib roast

Uncle Bob

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
My Italian heritage causes us to follow the "7 fishes" style of Christmas eve dinner, but for many a juicy prime rib roast is the meal of choice. If you're looking to smoke one in your RT this year but maybe feel a bit intimidated, or haven't been as pleased with your results in the past, here's a terrific and detailed recipe from the folks at ThermoWorks.

In my area I've been able to buy prime grade, boneless ribeye roast at Sam's Club, currently at around $18/lb

My Italian heritage causes us to follow the "7 fishes" style of Christmas eve dinner, but for many a juicy prime rib roast is the meal of choice. If you're looking to smoke one in your RT this year but maybe feel a bit intimidated, or haven't been as pleased with your results in the past, here's a terrific and detailed recipe from the folks at ThermoWorks.

In my area I've been able to buy prime grade, boneless ribeye roast at Sam's Club, currently at around $18/lb
Thanks for the information! Not only do the Thermoworks folks put out some amazing instrumentation, they also have some great advice on grilling, smoking and cooking too.

Doing my first prime rib. I read the Thermoworks information and it was helpful. Thank you for sharing. My question is about searing and taking on smoke. Is prime rib a candidate for reverse sear? Or do I sear after 90 minutes of smoke? Any thoughts are welcomed.

The right way is the way you like best. As long as you dont overcook it, really doesnt matter how you get there. For me its simple, if its not cooked over direct flame or its not cooked long enough to take on a bark or nice external texture. In my world it gets a reverse sear, though your world may vary.

The right way is the way you like best. As long as you dont overcook it, really doesnt matter how you get there. For me its simple, if its not cooked over direct flame or its not cooked long enough to take on a bark or nice external texture. In my world it gets a reverse sear, though your world may vary.

I enjoy a reverse sear on other thick cuts. If prime rib is a candidate for it then I will go that direction. I am a crust man. :) Speaking of crust, I read using a pan could be problematic because of the moisture. A reverse sear should counteract this. To pan or not to pan?

Our family is Italian and does the Festa dei sette pesci also. Christmas Day meal is always ravioli, wedding soup, antipasti, and some sort of meat (beef or ham or lamb). I want to do a prime rib this year but I’ve been having trouble finding a bone in one that isn’t $200+! It’s just four of us this year, so I don’t need a giant thing. The tips from Thermoworks are great though!

Our family is Italian and does the Festa dei sette pesci also. Christmas Day meal is always ravioli, wedding soup, antipasti, and some sort of meat (beef or ham or lamb). I want to do a prime rib this year but I’ve been having trouble finding a bone in one that isn’t $200+! It’s just four of us this year, so I don’t need a giant thing. The tips from Thermoworks are great though!
Simple solution if your budget allows; cut the roast size you want, say 5 LB, and portion out the rest as steaks cut to your preference of thickness. Best to vacuum seal the steaks to preserve quality...….......…..............you do have a vacuum sealer right? (if not...........perfect Christmas present!) :D

Reactions: Kim
I enjoy a reverse sear on other thick cuts. If prime rib is a candidate for it then I will go that direction. I am a crust man. :) Speaking of crust, I read using a pan could be problematic because of the moisture. A reverse sear should counteract this. To pan or not to pan?
Based on your preference statements I'd say you would want to reverse sear mainly to allow more smoking action at the beginning with moist surface. Just be sure to adjust your pull temperature as the more you sear the more additional temp you'll introduce. E.g., a reverse sear on a steak will typically increase finish temp by 5-10 degrees. A roast will be similar though might go somewhat higher depending on how long, and how many turns you need to do to get the desired crust. As for the pan comment it's not clear to me. You talking pan sear, or using a drip pan to catch juices for au jus?

I might be a little different than most of the other ideas. Although I am a huge bark/crust guy in general, I prefer my prime rib off the pit without searing either before or reverse. Maybe it is just me. I put the roast on the pit set at 225 and pull when I hit an IT between 125-130. Loosely tent and sit 20-30 minutes. Usually hit a perfect medium rare from the edge of the roast all the way through the middle. Hmm Hmm good.

I like to reverse sear in a cast iron skillet that's smoking hot. I haven't made any on my Trailblazer yet, but have done several on my offset. I can create a good crust in doing so and make my wife and daughter happy by searing a portion a little longer for them. My boys and I like rare/medium rare, while my wife and daughter don't like it so red. I can leave their section on for a little longer to cook it through a little more, then let it rest.

I read using a pan could be problematic because of the moisture. A reverse sear should counteract this. To pan or not to pan?
Personally have never reverse seared a roast. Have never found a need. I suspect once you get over a few pounds the length of time it takes to cook to finish temp will be long enough to dry out the outside and give it a great texture. The only time i reverse sear is when the outside isnt finished to my wifes liking.

Ahh dernit, i totally misunderstood that one, well im now curious at what the comments are going to be as RT doesnt make it easy to use a drip pan unless you have the removable rack.

Yes, au jus. Is it worth saving in a drip pan or will it impact the cooking process?

This is a thought exercise as I haven't done it and don't have the equipment to measure airflow within the box. I would imagine that a reasonable size sheet pan (not overly large for the dimensions of the roast) with a wire rack to elevate the roast would be a good solution. The pan would catch the drippings, and the elevation from the rack would permit some amount of air/heat circulation to promote crusting and even cooking. I've never zapped the factory drip shield to see if it's significantly hotter than the air temp, so wouldn't suggest putting the drip pan on that unless it was confirmed that the juices wouldn't be turned to charred bits. That and the slope of the shield would/could be an issue as well. One of the members here has posted up pics of several cooks of various meats using the sheet pan/rack arrangement and reports satisfactory results. He says he does it more for cleanliness reasons though.

And, as @ifican mentioned, the accessory rack would be another tool to accommodate a drip pan.

I made a small rib roast (7#) on the Bull tonight, following the directions linked above. Served with mashed potatoes, heirloom carrots, onion rings, and ginger braised collards. Turned out great!

Attachments

• 44C869E1-8E28-4075-B47B-E77B9FF8A947.jpeg
    44C869E1-8E28-4075-B47B-E77B9FF8A947.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 133
  • 4D813350-E62C-4A3F-B7BD-8494D5040A3A.jpeg
    4D813350-E62C-4A3F-B7BD-8494D5040A3A.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 131
This is a thought exercise as I haven't done it and don't have the equipment to measure airflow within the box. I would imagine that a reasonable size sheet pan (not overly large for the dimensions of the roast) with a wire rack to elevate the roast would be a good solution. The pan would catch the drippings, and the elevation from the rack would permit some amount of air/heat circulation to promote crusting and even cooking. I've never zapped the factory drip shield to see if it's significantly hotter than the air temp, so wouldn't suggest putting the drip pan on that unless it was confirmed that the juices wouldn't be turned to charred bits. That and the slope of the shield would/could be an issue as well. One of the members here has posted up pics of several cooks of various meats using the sheet pan/rack arrangement and reports satisfactory results. He says he does it more for cleanliness reasons though.

And, as @ifican mentioned, the accessory rack would be another tool to accommodate a drip pan.
Thanks for the ideas. I will tinker with possibilities as I like the thought of it somewhat raised as you described.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back