Stampede Probe Temperature Reading Are Really Off...

Gotcha

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Tonight I smoked some pork chops and figured 1.25-1.5 hours at 235 degrees. At the 45 minute mark the chops with the probes inserted already showed the chops at 130 degrees.
I let this go until it read 135 and then used my thermapen and it read 125.
I had the same problem last week when I smoked a brisket and the readings were off at least 10 degrees.
Is anyone else seen this problem, is there a fix.
Best Greg

Hey Pbison,
Thanks for the video, I was very surprised that I need to check the calibration of the probes. I have owned a lot of units and the probes are spot on....

Anyways, I did the check and it looks like the probe I am using is off by 5 degrees. I will make the mode tomorrow before my next smoke.

So my question is this something I need to check with the probe just the first time or every once in a while.

Either way I am considering purchasing the New Meater+1.

Thanks for your help.
Best Greg

Attachments

• rec real.jpg
    rec real.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 98
  • rec of.jpg
    rec of.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 156
Alright, so I tested my second probe that has never been used and it is also off 5 degrees.
So hopefully once I change the settings in the smoker I will be spot on in the future, unless I replace a probe?
Best Greg

Tonight I smoked some pork chops and figured 1.25-1.5 hours at 235 degrees. At the 45 minute mark the chops with the probes inserted already showed the chops at 130 degrees.
I let this go until it read 135 and then used my thermapen and it read 125.
I had the same problem last week when I smoked a brisket and the readings were off at least 10 degrees.
Is anyone else seen this problem, is there a fix.
Best Greg
When you calibrate just make sure you mark the probes so you know where they go ( a or b)

I decided to check both of my probes, while resting in a soon to be delicious Butt:D

They both were reading 153F I had my DOT probe set up in close proximity to the two probes. The probes were registering 1.5-2.0F hotter than my DOT, which is spot on. I'm thinking that little difference isn't worth trying to recal the two probes and that this difference in temp is probably within their accuracy range in a 225F smoker. Does anyone see any issues with this logic?

I decided to check both of my probes, while resting in a soon to be delicious Butt:D

They both were reading 153F I had my DOT probe set up in close proximity to the two probes. The probes were registering 1.5-2.0F hotter than my DOT, which is spot on. I'm thinking that little difference isn't worth trying to recal the two probes and that this difference in temp is probably within their accuracy range in a 225F smoker. Does anyone see any issues with this logic?
I would check them both using ice in a cup with a bit of water. It is super easy to calibrate them.
Best Greg

Alright, so I tested my second probe that has never been used and it is also off 5 degrees.
So hopefully once I change the settings in the smoker I will be spot on in the future, unless I replace a probe?
Best Greg
I calibrated both probes, now they are spot on. I plan to check again after a few smokes to make sure they stay that way :)
Greg

Yes. I don't think it's worth bothering with again. You can but 1.5-2...and possibly only off from the meat spot itself isn't worth it to me to recalibrate again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back