Bull Problem with the Bull

Thought I would give an update to my prior post (LINK). I got the new deflector by UPS the next day. Was shocked it was on the door step when I got home.

I've cooked a couple times now, with both cooks lasting a dozen hours or more at 225 and a hand full of hours in the 350 range. No warping seen on my new heat shield and better yet, no additional grease in the belly of the pit. I will be keeping an eye on it though as time goes on.

Hopefully this warping was limited to fall of last year batches. I got mine in Sept 2019.

Thought I would give an update to my prior post (LINK). I got the new deflector by UPS the next day. Was shocked it was on the door step when I got home.

I've cooked a couple times now, with both cooks lasting a dozen hours or more at 225 and a hand full of hours in the 350 range. No warping seen on my new heat shield and better yet, no additional grease in the belly of the pit. I will be keeping an eye on it though as time goes on.

Hopefully this warping was limited to fall of last year batches. I got mine in Sept 2019.
Good news! So glad for you.

I got my grill in September 2019 and have had warped deflector and drip pan. Just got replacements of both about 3 weeks ago, tried a high temp test and both warped but appear to have went back in place. I did a long and low cook on the Bull a couple weeks ago and it seemed to work great, but I have not inspected the deflector since then. I will check this weekend before I fire it up.

My Bull came in July 2019, deflector is warped and does not return to normal, I do sear steaks on the Bull with the searing grates and hi-temps. The drip tray does not deposit grease into the bucket but not sure if it is warped (seams to sit flat on flat surface when I clean it unlike the deflector that wobbles side to side). Did send an email to Rec Tec but no reply several weeks back, will try again to Rec Tec and see what they say. Wasn't in a hurry to work on this but will step up my contacts to Rec Tec.

My Bull came in July 2019, deflector is warped and does not return to normal, I do sear steaks on the Bull with the searing grates and hi-temps. The drip tray does not deposit grease into the bucket but not sure if it is warped (seams to sit flat on flat surface when I clean it unlike the deflector that wobbles side to side). Did send an email to Rec Tec but no reply several weeks back, will try again to Rec Tec and see what they say. Wasn't in a hurry to work on this but will step up my contacts to Rec Tec.
Yeah, I think they aren't the best at returning emails. If you call, you always talk to someone and I think that is the best/fastest way to get help. Let us know what they say. I don't believe that us few on this forum are the only ones with warped deflectors. I am betting it happens more often than not, and people just don't notice or care.

SURPRISE!

I did my ribeye steaks cook yesterday and before the cook I cleaned everything and during that time I noticed my shield has finally warped. But only just slightly and nothing I am concerned about at the moment, but it has happened now.

I guess no one is above the warping. :D ;)

Rec Tec responded , need to send pictures so I will pull out deflector and pan and take some for them. I will post here as well. If a better alternative was out there that we knew would not warp, I would purchase it myself. Not sure if anyone has gotten the Smoke Daddy - 10g or 13g and if that warps also?

Sent pictures off to Rec Tec today, the deflector is warped but the drip pan is not, but the warp of the deflector does lift the pan slightly. Pictures attached for those interested.

Attachments

• IMG_9486.jpg
    IMG_9486.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_9488.jpg
    IMG_9488.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_9491.jpg
    IMG_9491.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 94

Well folks I pulled the drip pan today to clean the drip pan and clear the ashes and discovered My new shield is warped just like my old one had. This shield never saw a temp setting greater than 350. 95% of the time it’s set to 225 or 250.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back