Proper temperature probe insertion?

ljgmdad

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hi all,

Using the probes that came with my Bull, what is the proper way to insert them into the meat? Insert as far as they'll go? Insert half way? Etc.

Thanks for your help.

Effectively you want the tip (the first 1/4") of the probe at the point you want to measure the temp of the meat. This will usually be the middle of the thickest part but you will learn with experience what works best for you. I prefer to go in from the side but that not always feasible so then its however is needed to get placement just right. But this also brings up the point / need for an instant read. Your probes really are for reference, a good instant read will tell you when its done no matter what your "reference" probe says.

Once you get the hang of inserting the probe the proper depth as ifican explains, and inserting from the side, you will want to insert from the side and in the direction of the grain of the meat. This is especially important with larger roast which you would be slicing instead of pulling. Cuts like brisket, prime roast etc. It will not effect the temperature reading or the flavor of your meat. The reason to insert the probe with the grain is more on a vanity concern than anything else. By inserting with the grain, when you slice across the grain for serving, usually only one slice will actually show the probe hole. If you insert against the grain, when you cut against the grain, each slice, when plated, would show the hole created by the probe through the thickness you inserted the probe initially. I do the same thing with my injections when injecting any roast I plan on slicing and presenting. I always inject the meat with the grain. I try not to inject the top or bottom against the grain. I hope I am explaining myself well enough so what I am saying makes sense when reading it.

The thermapen is the ferrari of instant reads, the mk4 is by far the better of the two but both are quality devices. The classic is onsale regularly for around 79. Having owned both quite awhile i prefer the mk4 because it has auto backlight and auto changes the screen orientation so doesnt matter which hand or orientation you use it.

Thermapen is definitely top notch, a good alternative that I used before the TP is Lavatool Javelin Pro, can generally pick these up for less than $50.

And I'll add on to the Thermapen discussion. It's useful, if used correctly, in reading temp through the whole thickness of the chunk of meat. The device probe is giving you the temp of the singular location where it is inserted (at the point where the thermistor is located inside the shaft) . With the Thermapen you can push it all the way through the meat (well, to the bottom) and then read the variations as you withdraw it slowly. Sometimes you find that the temp at the location of the device probe is slightly higher or lower than the actual temps near it. Second, I've become more of an advocate of pulling the piece of meat when it feels right to the probe rather than waiting for an absolute singular temperature point. So rather than waiting until the meat hits, say 203, it may indicate that it's done at say 198 by the probe method. This is one way to ensure you don't accidentally over cook it and get a dryer product than you should.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back