Protect your beloved smoker

ndfan6464

Active Military
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
So about two weeks ago I experienced my first ever, first hand destruction of what a lightning strike can do.

About 2 weeks ago my home got hit by lightning and took out a considerable amount of electronics, expensive electronics. Two 55" TVs, xbox, DirecTV box and dish, garage door opener, blew three breakers and two outlets.

It got me thinking about the amount of members who leave their RT forever plugged in. One of the outlets that blew is the one I would leave mine in once in awhile. Just happened after the last cook I unplugged it and left it unplugged..

Just thought I'd share. Maybe start thinking about getting a good surge protector for it. Yes, you are correct. I did not have the entertainment stuff plugged into one. But was planning on it. Guess that's what I get for procrastinating hahah..

Anyways, protect your smoker..

I installed a Seimen whole home surge protector, two Triplite protectors and add another 10ft solid copper ground rod to the house...

Screenshot_20190825-214049_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20190825-214028_Amazon Shopping.jpg
20190824_110557.jpg

I put a toggle switch on mine. My primary motivation was someone hacking it and turning it on.

Bonus; an old fashioned switch is an excellent surge protector. I used DPDT to disconnect hot and neutral.

I guess I don't get the motivation for leaving it plugged in. If connected to wifi, it is taking up bandwidth, using electricity and shortening the life of the device. For what benefit?

I'd have to agree. I dont normally leave mine plugged in as well... once in while I'll forget that I didnt unplug it or I'll leave it plugged when I know the next day iam gonna use so I dont have to pack it all back up..

I guess I don't get the motivation for leaving it plugged in. If connected to wifi, it is taking up bandwidth, using electricity and shortening the life of the device. For what benefit?
Valid point but really what @ndfan6464 is pointing out is this could happen to anyone at anytime. The lightening strike could have just as easily hit when he was in the middle of a brisket smoke or cooking up a hotdog.

That said I'm on the same boat as you regarding those that DO leave their grill plugged in. I don't leave mine plugged in for a number of reasons.

Well and it's not just lightning strikes that can deal a serious blow to your home or smoker. All it takes is transformer to blow, power company send a massive surge down the line etc etc.. which has happen to me as well.. me and electricity dont get along hahah..

Just after my experience and having to spend the money in costly repairs has really made me think and KICK MYSELF for not spending the $400 on a solid protective system. Would have saved me over $2,000 bucks in replacement, repairs and use of vacation days..

So about two weeks ago I experienced my first ever, first hand destruction of what a lightning strike can do.

About 2 weeks ago my home got hit by lightning and took out a considerable amount of electronics, expensive electronics. Two 55" TVs, xbox, DirecTV box and dish, garage door opener, blew three breakers and two outlets.

It got me thinking about the amount of members who leave their RT forever plugged in. One of the outlets that blew is the one I would leave mine in once in awhile. Just happened after the last cook I unplugged it and left it unplugged..

Just thought I'd share. Maybe start thinking about getting a good surge protector for it. Yes, you are correct. I did not have the entertainment stuff plugged into one. But was planning on it. Guess that's what I get for procrastinating hahah..

Anyways, protect your smoker..

I installed a Seimen whole home surge protector, two Triplite protectors and add another 10ft solid copper ground rod to the house...

View attachment 1098View attachment 1099View attachment 1100
Whole home surge protectors will not prevent any damage from a lightning strike, line spikes only.

Yes I understand @TXGunLover that it wont protect from a direct strike, nothing can. It was more of a general idea that surges down the line either from mad made or mother nature can and will happen. So protect your investment...

We can debate this up and down and we will ultimately agree to disagree. Whole home protection works to a point. From a close enough strike nothing is going to help you. From your neighbors place half a block away and the entire grid in your area getting energized, yeah probably.

I also come from the stance that turning on and off devices you use alot or daily causes more wear than just leaving it powered on. Circuits that go from cold to pretty hot in a relatively short amount of time (power on) take more wear that circuits that are left powered on. Anyways just had to offer my 2c.

Completely agree with you as well..

Basically all this post was to just get members to think or not.. just a thought in my head that I had.. wasnt meant for "this better be done"!

I dont think anyone is taking it that way. If i lived in your area i would have a whole house one and think about unplugging things during a storm as well. I did lots of research when we moved into this place, but ultimately never pulled the trigger. Mostly for me this is because we dont get much lightning and the times we did was when i lived further inland and a few decades ago. We do get storms but rarely do we get lightning on the coast. We did have some earlier this year but it was all cloud to cloud.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back