Pulled the trigger on a RT-1250 (and the rt-340)

DaveKWood

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
  2. RT-1250
Hello everyone, I can now officially call myself part of the Recteq family as today I pulled the trigger on a RT-1250, and also took advantage of the current promotion and grabbed the RT-340 for $199. Also bought some other accessories (covers, sear kit, pellets etc).

Been smoking/grilling on a Green Egg for the last 12 years along with a gasser' Weber Genesis (mostly used for a high heat grill clean 😆 and some quick cooks).
These two bbq's are not going anywhere as the Egg definitely has its place, the main issue I have is the 262 sq in of grate surface.
I have grate rigs that build up for more rack surface space but is cumbersome in doing so.

I am really looking forward to my first pellet grill, and especially it being a Recteq.

Like some of you, this was purchased sight unseen. But after the hours.....days of research, reading forums, reviews, videos: I am certain I bought the best bang for the buck smoker. The quality, build, 304 SS, cast iron, PID Controller, double probes, and.....the size!

Again coming from 262 sq in to 1250 sq in, and not to mention the 511 sq in on the RT-340 (I also grabbed the 2nd shelf). I will never have a grill space issue again.

And of course the Customer Service, I have already experienced phenomenal service just with my ordering process. I swear I'm not getting paid by Recteq, just a really excited new family member.

Now...the waiting game...waiting for shipping...to Canada.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! Always glad to have another Recteq owner join us. Lots of experienced grillers and smokers here. It is a good place to learn the ins-and-outs of using a pellet grill, along with the ups-and-downs. :rolleyes:

I think you will be surprised at how useful the smaller RT-340 can be. Unless you are cooking for a very large group, you can do most things on the smaller grill. Of course, it is always nice to be able to load up a 1250 too.

Enjoy them both.

Hello everyone, I can now officially call myself part of the Recteq family as today I pulled the trigger on a RT-1250, and also took advantage of the current promotion and grabbed the RT-40 for $199. Also bought some other accessories (covers, sear kit, pellets etc).

Been smoking/grilling on a Green Egg for the last 12 years along with a Weber Genesis (mostly used for a high heat grill clean 😆 and some quick cooks).
These two bbq's are not going anywhere as the Egg definitely has its place, the main issue I have is the 262 sq in of grate surface.
I have grate rigs that build up for more rack surface space but is cumbersome in doing so.

I am really looking forward to my first pellet grill, and especially it being a Recteq.

Like some of you, this was purchased sight unseen. But after the hours.....days of research, reading forums, reviews, videos: I am certain I bought the best bang for the buck smoker. The quality, build, 304 SS, cast iron, PID Controller, double probes, and.....the size!

Again coming from 262 sq in to 1250 sq in, and not to mention the 511 sq in on the RT-340 (I also grabbed the 2nd shelf). I will never have a grill space issue again.

And of course the Customer Service, I have already experienced phenomenal service just with my ordering process. I swear I'm not getting paid by Recteq, just a really excited new family member.

Hey @DaveKWood , welcome to the forum and enjoy the new grills!

Hey @DaveKWood , welcome to the forum and enjoy the new grills!
Thank you @Jigsaw for the warm welcome.

Welcome aboard! Always glad to have another Recteq owner join us. Lots of experienced grillers and smokers here. It is a good place to learn the ins-and-outs of using a pellet grill, along with the ups-and-downs. :rolleyes:

I think you will be surprised at how useful the smaller RT-340 can be. Unless you are cooking for a very large group, you can do most things on the smaller grill. Of course, it is always nice to be able to load up a 1250 too.

Enjoy them both.
I couldn't agree more on the RT-340, excellent go to for a weekday smoke for the Family. And the 1250? I bet i could lay flat 6-8 ribs on there.
Although the Wife doesn't understand why I need 2 pellets....on top of 2 other bbq's...lol. I figure once she sees the simplicity of how to light the Recteq (compared to the Green Egg: remove grates, fill with lump char, looflighter to light, adjust vent etc...) she will be bbq'ing herself! If you can turn an oven on, you can turn this on. Heck, she's on her phone all the time, she can even light it with that!
Thank you for the warm welcome @Jim6820

@DaveKWood welcome to RecTeqForum and thanks for joining. I can't wait for you to get your new RT-1250 AND the RT-340 and to hear your thoughts on both of them.

I have the RT-700 myself and absolutely love it.

Welcome & congrats.. Be sure to post your family pics & your family at work :)..

Enjoy..

@DaveKWood welcome to RecTeqForum and thanks for joining. I can't wait for you to get your new RT-1250 AND the RT-340 and to hear your thoughts on both of them.

I have the RT-700 myself and absolutely love it.
Thank you kindly @Mike . With so much room on these grills, it reminds of a line from the movie Stepbrothers: There's so much room for activities!

Welcome & congrats.. Be sure to post your family pics & your family at work :)..

Enjoy..
I can see the family lined up proud, like a sea of bbq's......well 4 anyway....😉

Hello everyone, I can now officially call myself part of the Recteq family as today I pulled the trigger on a RT-1250, and also took advantage of the current promotion and grabbed the RT-340 for $199. Also bought some other accessories (covers, sear kit, pellets etc).

Been smoking/grilling on a Green Egg for the last 12 years along with a gasser' Weber Genesis (mostly used for a high heat grill clean 😆 and some quick cooks).

Congratulations! It’s great to have a new Canadian in the family!

Welcome! I started with a RT-700, then added a Bullseye, and then my wife and I went to recteq Academy where they give a nice discount, and she decided she wanted a RT-340. I have a pretty nice lower level outdoor kitchen and a deck that is just outside my indoor kitchen, where I keep the Bullseye and the RT-340. Long story, but the point is I would have never guessed how much I would be using the RT-340. I love that little guy, especially when it is paired up with the Bullseye. I use one or the other or both together almost every day.

I will say that I don’t know how useful that second shelf is going to be for the RT-340. There’s not much headroom in that grill.

Welcome! I started with a RT-700, then added a Bullseye, and then my wife and I went to recteq Academy where they give a nice discount, and she decided she wanted a RT-340. I have a pretty nice lower level outdoor kitchen and a deck that is just outside my indoor kitchen, where I keep the Bullseye and the RT-340. Long story, but the point is I would have never guessed how much I would be using the RT-340. I love that little guy, especially when it is paired up with the Bullseye. I use one or the other or both together almost every day.

I will say that I don’t know how useful that second shelf is going to be for the RT-340. There’s not much headroom in that grill.
Thank you for this info. I did not set out to purchase 2 smokers as the RT-340 was more of an impulse buy due to the promotion. But as it sounds, it appears I just may get more use then I intended. It is true, I don't need to fire up the the large RT-1250 for, let's say 4 chicken breasts on a weekday evening. Re: the Bullseye, as much as I would like to add that to the collection, I think I have done enough damage for now. Heck, my tracking number isn't even active yet from yesterday as Recteq said it would be on the truck this morning. Waiting game.....

Last edited:
Welcome. I also used a BGE for over 10 years and argued there wasn't a better smoker/grill out there. Just over two years ago a bought a 700 and love it. I will be watching your posts as you start using your 1250. I couldn't part with my BGE until after several months I found I had to force myself to use it, so it went to a new home and I really don't ;miss it.
Again, congratulations and let us know what you're cooking.

@GrillIndy so I am in your shoes 2 years ago, and you know exactly where I a coming from. I am a huge fan of the Green Egg, but everything has pros and cons. For me, some of the cons for the Egg is grill size, messing with adjustable racks to build up in height to gain more space, start up time and procedure. Possible Cons for the RT-1250, now keep in mind I have not yet taken delivery, is the amount of smoke flavour compared to the BGE. I am not a huge smoke fan, but definitely like a smoke flavor note to the meat. I "think" a pellet smoker in general will be just fine for smoke flavor. But my concern is the open fire charcoal flavor I get with the BGE that a pellet smoker may not produce. Time will tell. Did you find that to be an issue?

Not really, if I need a heavy smoke I use a smoke tube and that does the trick. I hated the black hands getting the egg ready along with cooking area, temp regulation on a 12/16 hour cook. Can't wait to hear what you think after 15 to 20 cooks.

Not really, if I need a heavy smoke I use a smoke tube and that does the trick. I hated the black hands getting the egg ready along with cooking area, temp regulation on a 12/16 hour cook. Can't wait to hear what you think after 15 to 20 cooks.
Yep, same here. Smoke tube as required.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back