Other Queso - Perfect for Game Day

Mike

Kind of good admin
Staff member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull

INGREDIENTS:

INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Preheat oil to 400°F with a cast iron pan.
  2. Cook the chorizo for 5-6 minutes (drain excess grease if needed).
  3. Add the onions and peppers and cook for 5-6 minutes.
  4. Turn the heat down to 250°F.
  5. Add the Rotel, Velveeta, cream cheese, and Durty Gurl Bloody Mary Rub.
  6. Cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

I've tried to like chorizo, but I just can't. It's too greasy and never cooks up as good as some good hot Italian sausage.

Spanish style chorizo (rather than Mexican) is a totally different animal...much better

I've tried to like chorizo, but I just can't. It's too greasy and never cooks up as good as some good hot Italian sausage.

Spanish style chorizo (rather than Mexican) is a totally different animal...much better
Got a recipe you can share? :D ;)

I've found that homemade butcher's chorizo is nowhere near as greasy as the kind you buy on those tubes at the store. Makes a big difference.

Got a recipe you can share? :D ;)
Never done queso on the rec tec.

I don't have a recipe per se...it all depends on what I have on hand. I always start with a roux and make a basic cheese sauce with butter, flour, whole milk, and hand grated sharp cheddar and Wisconsin Brick cheese. Pre-shredded cheese is awful stuff.

Then I add fried hot Italian sausage a can of Ro-Tel and a can of diced green chiles. Sometimes I fry onions and poblanos with the sausage. I keep it simple.

I've found that homemade butcher's chorizo is nowhere near as greasy as the kind you buy on those tubes at the store. Makes a big difference.
I agree. What I referenced in my post above was that awful stuff you can get from most grocery stores. I recently got a coil of chorizo from the Italian deli (they do all kinds of sausages) by my office and the texture and flavor was really good. Very good in some chilaquiles that I made. I still prefer the hot Italian sausage in queso though...I'm just used to having to have that flavor now.

So for the record, buy GOOD chorizo...it makes a world of difference.

Here's a Mexican chorizo recipe I've used several times (and as recently as yesterday in a smoked Mexican meatloaf). It's way better than any pre-made stuff from the grocery store and you can always tweak it to your liking.
Looks good. I already grind my own pork, but I buy my chorizo. I’m going to try this-thanks for the heads-up!

I make Spanish-style chorizo whenever I make sausage. When I stuff it, it gets smoked, and is one of my absolute favorites (placing a very close second to my kielbasa.) I almost always vacuum pack ground pork in 1 lb packs, too, so I can thaw, and season for whatever I need. Here's my Spanish-style Chorizo recipe that I use with 1lb of ground pork (25-30% fat):

1lb (454g) ground pork (fine plate is better)
8.2g Salt (I use Diamond Krystal kosher)
4.6g Smoked Paprika (I use Chiquilin, which is readily available, don't use Hungarian Hot....unless you want to)
2.3g Freshly ground black pepper
1.2g Cayenne pepper (increase or decrease to taste)
1/4 cup ice cold water

Mix spices thoroughly into water, then mix with the pork in a bowl. Do everything you can to keep the mix as cold as possible! If things warm up too much, the texture of the sausage is likely to turn out a bit mealy. A good rule of thumb is that if your fingers don't hurt from the cold while you are mixing, then it wasn't cold enough! You want to really mix/knead the pork and spices together until the mixture becomes VERY tacky. For this amount of meat/spices, 5 minutes of hand mixing is probably a good target. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours to let the flavors meld together, then use as you like. It would be great in this queso recipe, I use it in stuffed mushrooms, omelettes, stuffed pork loin, etc.

If you try this out, let me know how you like it!

Rich

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back