Question. Found a brisket in the freezer

Tombo

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So I found a brisket in the freezer with a sell by date of 12/22. ( I didn’t think it was that old ) It doesn’t appear to be freezer burnt.
I’m guess it probably too old but wanted some options.
Trash or smoke?
Thanks

I don’t think you have anything to worry about as long as it has been kept below 10F. Beef is pretty durable when frozen and as someone that would freeze half a calf/cow for several years, I couldn’t tell much of a difference as long as it was properly thawed before use. Once thawed, give it the sniff test. Your nose won’t let you down. Heck, I’ve made dry aged ribeyes that were around that old and they were also delicious. I realize most people prefer fresh and recently frozen beef, which is convenient, but modern refrigeration techniques have changed my personal habits. YMMV.

So I found a brisket in the freezer with a sell by date of 12/22. ( I didn’t think it was that old ) It doesn’t appear to be freezer burnt.
I’m guess it probably too old but wanted some options.
Trash or smoke?
Thanks

I have beef tenderloins and rib steaks in various freezers that are older than that and (happily) they're just fine.

....or have a neighborhood dog feast.
Wiener Dog GIF by beangoods

Having thrown away a whole packer that arrived unfrozen and warm to the touch, I am fairly cautious at this point, but as mentioned if the meat is still properly vacuum packed and was kept at a hard freeze state, I would suspect that you'll be just fine. Of course if it doesn't look or smell right after defrosting, it will make a respectable thud when tossed in the trash.

I just smoked one the other day from early 2022. It was fine. The worst thing that will happen is the texture is off slightly, but for mine that was only the case for a little bit of the exterior, which I just trimmed off. You're trimming the fat anyway.

I was prepared for it to be a little off, which means it just goes in my chili (where much of the leftovers go anyway) but that wasn't the case.

Having said all that, you need to be absolutely certain that your freezer never thawed during. a power outage. Mine stays at -20F. If the meat smells bad, throw it away.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back