Rebuilding the future home of my Rec Tec

Mike

Kind of good admin
Staff member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
There are a few projects going on around the house right now such as a new HVAC system and ducting being installed in the house since our AC went out last week. It's 20 years old so it's had a long life.

One project however that I'm most excited about is one I've been wanting to do for a while now and that's re-model our back deck, which will be the future home of my Rec Tec Bull grill.

Here is a before picture, which shows about half the deck:

deck-before.jpg

This past weekend the wife and I worked on removing all the railings and old decking. It currently looks like this:

deck-stripped.jpg

Starting this weekend we'll start working on removing that end angle piece and square it up as well as set the posts for the new roof that should cover about half the deck.

Can't wait for this to be finished!

Nothing to exciting today. Extended the conduit for my coaxial cable as well as filled in a few holes that the dogs dug up when the old deck was in place, then spread some gravel. Hopefully that will stop the dogs from digging again.

Tomorrow going to get the last few bits of wood needed and then it'll be time to start putting it all back together again! :D

That's a big deck! Ours is close. I just finished refinishing it...my whole body is wrecked.
Good news - Looks like we are upgrading our grill. Rec Tec is a front runner to me, but I can't seem to find many unbiased reviews of the Trailblazer. Amazon certainly scares me, with only three right now.

@MellowJ I believe Rec Tec just recently started putting their grills on Amazon. If you're looking for more you could also check out the reviews on their site.

As for the Amazon reviews, the first okay review complained getting below 250. If they are having issues they can easily fix this by adjusting the augur feed rate. The other one about being hard to put together... um what? It's a very straight forward process and you can see this yourself without even buying one - just check the Trailblazer manual.

What other pellet grills are you looking at?

@MellowJ I believe Rec Tec just recently started putting their grills on Amazon. If you're looking for more you could also check out the reviews on their site.

As for the Amazon reviews, the first okay review complained getting below 250. If they are having issues they can easily fix this by adjusting the augur feed rate. The other one about being hard to put together... um what? It's a very straight forward process and you can see this yourself without even buying one - just check the Trailblazer manual.

What other pellet grills are you looking at?
Traeger, Pit Boss, Camp Chef, Louisiana...

I have a 15yr old Traeger 070. Still works great but I have the opportunity to upgrade right now...

Funny. I ordered my RT700 Friday and Saturday went to Menards to order new decking for my deck. Except, my RT is going on the concrete pad next to the deck where I am building my outdoor kitchen. Couldn't have the deck looking like garbage

Really started getting to it this weekend. This was our stopping point as the thunderstorm started to roll in. I did manage to get back out there and lay down a few more runs of decking.

deck-weekend1.jpg

Hoping to have the decking laid at least under the roofed area and start putting up the metal roofing and stairs this coming up weekend. Got a lot done but still a lot more left.

That’s looking good.
Thanks!

We've got roughly have of the decking laid now. I've also several electric outlets so I have places to plug in lights, fans and of course my Rec Tec grill :D

The metal roof is on the way tomorrow and if the weather permits, I'll have that in place by Sunday.

I'll try to get some pictures posted soon but we didn't get a ton done over the weekend due a storm knocking our power out for the last 3 days.

However we did manage to get it roofed and most of the aluminum wrap on. The grandparents also took the kids with them for two weeks so hopefully and wife and I will get a lot more done in that time frame now.

All the decking and stairs are now complete. The only thing left at this point is to add railing.

Even managed to roll the Rec Tec Bull into it's new home last night. :D

The roof is on, the decking is laid and the stairs are complete. Just need to install the railing, which the wife and I are going to go check out this weekend to decide on what we like. I'm thinking round black balusters.

New deck furniture and of course my Rec Tec Bull has found their new home! :D
deck.jpg

deck-side.jpg

Started installing the railing last night. I would have taken a picture but it was to dark out by the time I stopped.

We went with black round aluminum spindles and they look great! I'll get a picture soon.

Looks great! I might be doing the same thing this Spring. Still trying to work out some design ideas and figure out if I want to tackle it myself or not. For now, the grill lives in the barn. Works out ok except for the occasion bird bomb and carrying everything from the house out there. But I don't want to leave it totally exposed to the elements and I have no cover outside otherwise.

Finally, it's done!

And not a moment to soon either. Finished putting the railing up on Friday evening and Saturday we installed the last bit of metal trim on the roof just before our son's birthday party.

deck-finished.jpg

deck-finished-02.jpg

You can just barely see the Rec Tec Bull peaking out from around the right hand corner. I'll be storing it in that area but rolling it over to where the little chairs are to the left when I cook. You can just barely see the electric box in the picture, waiting for the grill. :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back