Rec Tec app issues

OldBallsBBQ

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Fellow RT meat heads,

I have a 2 month old Bull which is the greatest thing since landing on the moon! I have minimal complains about the unit except for the darn app for IOS.

With the new update Ver 1.5.1 (270) (see pic attached). They have made some good improvements, less laggy, the temp graph is much more stable and easy to zoom in and out on and I noticed that when I selected the temperature alarms I finally got the standard Apple pop up that says “Rec Tec App wants to send you notifications”, and it shows up under Notifications in the phone settings. I was super stoked to see these changes.....

So did a cook tonight and set my delta temperature alarm and probe A and B alarms. But I still did not get any notifications when the temp was out of the threshold that I set...

Has anyone else had success with the new updated App? Anything that I am missing?

I had the phone off vibrate, volume up and notifications enabled both in the app and in settings.

1E03A441-F082-4736-9542-60DEBB3B227A.jpeg

Any comments would be appreciated!

Cheers

HP

I hadnt played with the alarms until today. They work but its not immediate, it was consistent but took several minutes most of the time at the temp before i got the notification on the phone?

The alarms seemed to work for me only for the grill range and not the probe temps (iPhone, version 1.5.1)

So as is customary with the Team at RT, I submitted feedback in the app with the issue I was having, and shortly after I submitted it I was chatted back with-in the app and was informed that there were sporadic outages within the app causing issues. Really great customer service!!

They were able to update their capacity and said the alarm functionality should be working now.

I wont have a chance to test until this weekend, and will post updates then. :)

Every time I read about a potential problem with the grill or the app it always comes back to the great Customer Service that RT has. This is the kind of stuff legends are made of!

I don't have an iPhone and use an Android myself. I'm running the latest version on my phone and I have to say the recent update has been a HUGE improvement.

Every time I'd open the app it would give me a brief error message that would flash up then quickly go away and I would get disconnect messages nearly every time the phone went to sleep.

The new version has been flawless for me. In fact I was just bragging about it to the wife this past weekend. I haven't tired the alarm feature but will try that next time.

Had my bull about a year now. Love it. The app only vibrates when it hits the temperature and it’s not always correct either. Having this problem since day one. I’m using iPhone 6S. Can anyone help

Reading this thread and seeing a couple other references similar caused me to try the alarm function last night on a two Cowboy Ribeye cook we did. Normally I don't use the alarm because I'm in the habit of viewing the screen with some regularity. Anyway, pit temp and both probes functioned with the alarm sounding when I had occasion to leave the lid open a bit long causing pit temp to drop more than the 10 degree limit, and each of the steaks sounded when they hit their target temp. I too have an iphone 6s. I had the alarm set on audible rather than vibrate and it was fun to see the looks on our guests faces when my pocket started beeping as meal time approached.

Set both of my probes last night and neither one sounded. iPhone 6s with updated RC app. Too tired to mess with it now.

So like some have pointed out, I now have the app and alarms working as advertised.

Here is my setup:

Iphone XMax
Latest app update
on wifi and on cellular
standing next to the bull, and across town

All apps and alerts are working with no issues. If their support chat guy was right, the server update they did to handle more load looks like it worked. We will see how the 4th of July works.

My experience with the alarms and a Google Pixel3XL is that the probe alarms worked, but the grill temp alarm did not...?

Just had my alarms go off just fine a few minutes ago for my pork butt - that's with my iPhone though

Haven't tried to contact customer support on this yet, but plan on it Monday. Probably ought to uninstall the app and reinstall first.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back