Set temperature by touching touching button in middle and typing number in
Fast scroll to current time on temperature chart
Show device offline in notification, ability to set alarm for offline in app
Save temperature chart to file

@kmtaylor I really like these that you listed:
  • Set temperature by touching touching button in middle and typing number in
  • Save temperature chart to file
I'd like to see:
  • Alarm customization (Grill temp and Probe temp) - settable temp range i.e. 200 - 250 with a set point of 225, alarm would alert if it fell outside of these parameters.

• Chart function UI is very awkward, needs improvements.
  • Ability to name probes (Probe A Shoulder, Probe B Brisket)
  • Chart takes a while to load, and fails to load often. Force quit/reopen app fixes it.
  • Dismissing alarms should have a delay before alarm goes off again (5min?). Opening the cooker guarantees like 5-10 minutes of alarms while it gets back up to temp (and then goes over temp, then comes back down)
  • "Open Lid / Close lid" button, so I can push a button and the PID knows I'm opening the lid and disable alarms/not over push wood trying to keep a temp., That way it can build back to temp rather than overcorrect +50 degrees as it gets confused.
Actually, a lid open sensor would be huge IMO, but ill settle for a button on the app that at least helps with alarms & temp overcorrection.

Being able to save the temp chart and constantly working alarms are my wishes.
Maybe even a "up to ten" labelled previous cook temp charts for comparison. Live dual comparison.

An ability to see and track on my MacBook so that I can get a better picture of what is going on.

Ability to change temperature automatically after a predetermined period of time.

This would allow you to run in Xtreme Smoke for one hour, two hours or more, before the grill would automatically ramp up to and lock in at a predetermined temperature setting of say, 250°, 275° or whatever temperature you wanted to do the remainder of your cook.

Those are a lot of good ideas. Right now I'd settle for working alarms, as I feel that is one of the bare minimum functions a grill app should have. At the least, if they are not going to get it working in a timely manner they should stop marketing it as a feature.

I like the way the Traeger app lets you quickly scroll through temps. That would be preferable to manually typing it in for me. Programmable cooks would also be great, but I'm guessing that may be a limitation of the controller. The controller would need to be able to download the cook from the app, which I doubt it can. Otherwise you'd need a constant connection for the app to control the cook which probably isn't a good idea.

Change actual temp color to yellow to easily tell difference from set point.

……... Right now I'd settle for working alarms, as I feel that is one of the bare minimum functions a grill app should have. At the least, if they are not going to get it working in a timely manner they should stop marketing it as a feature...…...

If you could poll the entire RT ownership body you'd probably find working alarms for high 90s%. Likely you have an individual issue that keeps it from working for you; e.g. your phone settings, installation glitch, router compatibility, etc. RT tech support is there to help you, what have they suggested so far?

If you could poll the entire RT ownership body you'd probably find working alarms for high 90s%. Likely you have an individual issue that keeps it from working for you; e.g. your phone settings, installation glitch, router compatibility, etc. RT tech support is there to help you, what have they suggested so far?
Just maybe we are over looking the fact android behaves differently on different phones? it Is a bigger issue than you think. So many phones so many things to go wrong. I have not found android such a great system but then I go back to a time (IBM) when we kept code clean and simple. Now it is get it out the door with the new improved that’s anything but tested. Would not want to be an RT at Rectec today. My money is on the boys at Rectec though.

I believe it is an android issue with programming the app. If you are using an iphone, the alarms seem to be working.

I believe it is an android issue with programming the app. If you are using an iphone, the alarms seem to be working.
Just maybe we are over looking the fact android behaves differently on different phones? it Is a bigger issue than you think. So many phones so many things to go wrong. I have not found android such a great system but then I go back to a time (IBM) when we kept code clean and simple. Now it is get it out the door with the new improved that’s anything but tested. Would not want to be an RT at Rectec today. My money is on the boys at Rectec though.

I'm fine with being challenged because if done positively (as here) it leads to further discussion and perhaps clarification. Folks are welcome to come on here and vent their spleen and seek sympathy (or whatever) from others, but in the end, if there's a legitimate operational issue with the RecTec hardware or it's supporting apps rarely is anybody here in a position to "fix" it. My response may have been a bit subtle for some in it's intent, so I'll be more blunt. RecTec needs to be notified by each person who is having a problem with something RT controls. Complaining about it on here or any other online venue is at best marginally therapeutic but does little to nothing to assist in resolving any legitimate issue. If 10 people are having the same problem and only one of them makes RT aware then it might be perceived as a low priority that can be fixed when able, rather than a larger priority that would have more resources applied sooner. Complaining here is fine, but don't fault RT if you haven't made them aware.

I wish there was a web interface. I cook while I telecommute and would love notifications to toast up on my computer.

Lots of great ideas here, and a low-priorit, fun to have option would be an hour meter to track total run time plus a ’trip’ function that the user can reset. This would allow one to check the pellets used per hour.

It does have that. You set it in the app under alarms.
No. No it does not. Probe A and B does based on respective setting in Alarms but grill doesn’t alert us when it reaches the set point temp. Seems like such a simple and obvious need. Must be a legitimate reason why they have not done such, right?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back