Rec Tec Police

macabra11

FYI Rec Tec is now filtering and deleting comments on their social media. They put up a new "commercial" touting the benefits of their wifi capability and alerts from the comfort of your own home. I posted a comment that politely said how I was disappointed that the alarms and alerts still were not working for me after months of owning an RT700. Their CS has just passed the blame on to the app developer, which is getting ridiculous. I've built and updated apps before, and it does NOT take months.

Well they apparently didn't want to kill the cheery vibe of their social media, so they deleted my comment (no cursing or anything like that).

Just thought I'd pass this along, that things aren't always what they seem.

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 2.00.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 2.00.26 PM.png

Last edited:
To be fair, the guys are Rec Tec are NOT the ones creating the app. They have an outside company doing the work for them. To say this doesn't take months to fix, may or may not be true but the point is it isn't RecTec who's holding it up as they are dependent on the developer(s) to do this.

They obviously see the issue here and are working to bring this in house as they stated in the conversation.

As for the moderation on these social media pages/groups - this is far from anything new and has been going on since forever. In many cases, some of these groups will delete your posts and ban you from the group if you so much as say your grill is dirty.

Alerts work fine in the android app.

Mine have never worked. I haven't had the time to call them on it yet.

I thought it was obvious that Rec Tec curates their reviews and social media. That's why sites like this are valuable.

I like their products, but Ray and the gang come across as used car salesmen.

My phone will drop the signal from the grill even at home. It picks it back up if I exit the grill and then reconnect. Not sure if that would work "down the road". I don't think my alerts work either. I'll have to pay more attention.

Also as software developer it can be difficult getting all software to work on all versions of an OS and with different hardware. Look at Microsoft even bricking PCs with updates. They got me May of 2018 and I forced all updates off.

just a thought

Let's just hope as they grow in-demand for their product they dont follow the footsteps of the others allow their customer service to go to $hit

FYI Rec Tec is now filtering and deleting comments on their social media. They put up a new "commercial" touting the benefits of their wifi capability and alerts from the comfort of your own home. I posted a comment that politely said how I was disappointed that the alarms and alerts still were not working for me after months of owning an RT700. Their CS has just passed the blame on to the app developer, which is getting ridiculous. I've built and updated apps before, and it does NOT take months.

Well they apparently didn't want to kill the cheery vibe of their social media, so they deleted my comment (no cursing or anything like that).

Just thought I'd pass this along, that things aren't always what they seem.

View attachment 1610View attachment 1611
I was on the fence due to the poor reviews the RECTEC app received but ultimately purchased one in hopes that the app would one day improve. Also, I haven’t received my grill yet but I hear that the build quality is better than Traeger, yet Traeger has a near 5-star rating for their app. I’m curious if it would be possible to install a Traeger WiFire controller on a RECTEC. We could have the best of both worlds!

Listen, it’s a great smoker and built like a brick shit house. Customer service otherwise has been amazing. But I literally bought this thing so my life could be easier by being able to cook more at once AND have the ability to cook from the hospital while my son gets his treatments. I’ve not made anything on my rectec that I could not have made on my old traeger. This has really left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Listen, it’s a great smoker and built like a brick shit house. Customer service otherwise has been amazing. But I literally bought this thing so my life could be easier by being able to cook more at once AND have the ability to cook from the hospital while my son gets his treatments. I’ve not made anything on my rectec that I could not have made on my old traeger. This has really left a bitter taste in my mouth.
Sounds like you need to contact customer support. You want them to take the grill back and based on your conversation with them above they seem receptive to helping in that manner as well.

Their customer service is always been top notch and I don't see why they still wouldn't be even in this case. The Rec Tec grills, in my opinion, have a ton of benefits over the Traeger grills, but if your only concern is a mobile app then maybe you should have stuck with what's working.

Give customer service a call.

Other than not knowing there were alerts, so far my app seems to be working good. My only issue is that the screen appearance is rather compressed and some of the numbers get a little obscured by the other graphics. Other than that, not too bad. Is there any directions/info sheet that's supposed to come along with it?

Other than not knowing there were alerts, so far my app seems to be working good. My only issue is that the screen appearance is rather compressed and some of the numbers get a little obscured by the other graphics. Other than that, not too bad. Is there any directions/info sheet that's supposed to come along with it?
The manual is electronic, scan the QR code or visit the website (www.rectecgrills.com/manual) on the paper that says “KEEP THIS” and it’ll take you to the manual. Just got mine today and set everything up, app alerts do not work on my iPhone XS.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 71
@Bytor do you know it is touch expandable?...you can use your fingers to expand the screen as you do other things on your phone. As well as change the time duration for the display.

I've had a CPL on off problems with the App, but nothing that changed any cook. As stated already , I'd either keep working with CS until the issue is fixed or exchange,replace, or refund the unit. I understand the reason for this being a major factor in your purchase. But, at the same time the issue sounds (atleast for right now) out of RecTec's control. Goodluck.

@Bytor do you know it is touch expandable?...you can use your fingers to expand the screen as you do other things on your phone. As well as change the time duration for the display.
Thanks for the input, but pinching in and out does nothing to the screen. It's a little annoying, but based off some of the other issues I have been reading about with the app, I'll leave it alone. I did find out my alarms do work.

Thanks

That's weird, yeah you should be able to expand the readout screen. Maybe uninstall it and retry?.. I'd rather have the alarms workn than the expansion.

I have noticed a lot of censorship on their FB page, its sad when you have to censor post because someone has a promlem and you were asking a question. Very disappointed.

I've only had my Bull run one day on some sausage for a few hours. I was able to change the temperature from 200F to 205F while in a grocery store a mile away. I don't know about alarms yet. I'm using a Samsung S8 with the Android app. I tried finding and loading it in my Samsung Tab 3 tablet, but it said it was not compatible.

I recently switched to a Stampede after 10+ years on a WSM cooker. In my case, I can use the comparison that the switch was like upgrading from a 1980’s picture tube TV to a 55-inch smart TV (for what it’s worth, I did that as well).

Point being, both the WSM cooker and that old tube TV were static technology configurations, produced by a single manufacturer, that just worked. As manufacturers strive to produce products with technology enhancements that allow their product to interact with other manufacturers’ products, there will always be issues, because manufacturers cannot possibly test every configuration/condition where their product will be used. Instead, they work to ensure their new product (and its upgrades) will work for the majority of their customer base, and (hopefully) put a customer service department in place to help the smaller percentage of their customer base that encounters problems.

I’ll bet that the “Cupertino crowd” who work to deliver iPhone software have no idea that I would try and use an iOS device to control a pellet smoker! But because a few manufacturers’ products were joined together, I am able to do it....of course, since they probably aren’t advancing the iOS software with pellet smoker control in mind, there ends up being a minor glitch (no alerts).

That’s the double edge sword with technology. We love the advancements and ease of use that technology brings to us, but within every crowd that rejoices over the new capability, there will exist a small percentage of the crowd with a compatibility issue that finds them losing capability. As long as we live in a (relatively) free market society that allows us the luxury to choose between market competitors, there will be compatibility issues with technology: I’m just thankful that I live in a country that allows me that freedom of choice.

I can understand a manufacturer's struggle with online misinformation and some unfounded viewpoints but when you consider their approach compared with others whom may not filter user reviews I find it distasteful--and potentially unfair--that only 4 and 5 star reviews are shared on their site (from what I've seen). But in writing this I'm also doing something I dislike of myself, lol: making assumptions. Having said this, I'm a new RT-700 owner as-of last week.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back