Rec Tec Wifi setup tips

Probably not a common issue for most, but I run a VPN on my phone and could not make the connection until I disconnected from the VPN.

Thanks so much for this post! After banging my head for an hour and a half I saw this post and knew that was it. And it was.

Don't know if this'll help anyone, but it worked for me.

My RT wouldn't connect when I 1st got it, it lives out by the shed about 70' from the router which is in the middle of the house. Moved the RT near the back door, maybe 30' away, where it connected no problem. I then moved it back out by the shed, and it's continued to works just fine.

Occasionally connect to a campgrounds WIFI in a similar fashion when we are parked too far from their router. It almost seems there is more involved with making that initial connection.

Don't know if this'll help anyone, but it worked for me.

My RT wouldn't connect when I 1st got it, it lives out by the shed about 70' from the router which is in the middle of the house. Moved the RT near the back door, maybe 30' away, where it connected no problem. I then moved it back out by the shed, and it's continued to works just fine.

Occasionally connect to a campgrounds WIFI in a similar fashion when we are parked too far from their router. It almost seems there is more involved with making that initial connection.
Great post, yes the closer to the router on the initial connection does help greatly.

I have a Google WiFi mesh system that does not allow any configuration of frequencies. Sounds like I may need to set up a dedicated 2.4GHz network for the grill when it turns up.

I have a Google WiFi mesh system that does not allow any configuration of frequencies. Sounds like I may need to set up a dedicated 2.4GHz network for the grill when it turns up.
The grill will only connect to the 2.4Ghz on the initial pair after that you can control it from anywhere using anything.

More specifically - the grill will only ever connect to the 2.4 GHz because it only has a 2.4 GHz radio. Once the initial setup is done, the grill doesn't communicate directly with your phone. It then communicates to a server in the cloud. Which is why you can control it with your phone on mobile data while you're at the store picking up more beer.

I read somewhere that on Google WiFi, if you setup a Guest network that will use 2.4 GHz automatically. I don't know if that's accurate, but worth a shot.

(PS. I tend to put most of my smart home devices on the guest network. No need for them to have access to my actual network, PCs, and storage.)

Using a Guest network for devices like this just seems like good digital hygiene and common sense. It needs access to the internet only; there's no need to give access to the rest of your local network.

Probably not a common issue for most, but I run a VPN on my phone and could not make the connection until I disconnected from the VPN.

I have been unable to connect to my Bull, and Rec Tec has been unable to help. They are sending a new controller. They never mentioned VPN, and I run one on my iPhone. I wonder if that is the problem. As soon as I get home, I will test it out. Thanks for mentioning it!

VPN should not make a difference once you’re initial connections are established but it might impact the connection process. As you see I can connect via VPN

Attachments

• 7F8D36E8-24FE-4D86-9E50-3661924BDA48.png
    7F8D36E8-24FE-4D86-9E50-3661924BDA48.png
    264 KB · Views: 99
Guest network is worth a shot. I have that setup. Google WiFi is intentionally designed to obscure advanced settings, which is a blessing and a curse. I found this support article, which basically restates what you said https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/611640?hl=en

Following up on this: it just worked. I didn't need to do anything special and it connected to the main network. I've since upgraded the Google WiFi to the AC2200 version (keeping the same WiFi network name and password) and the grill connected to it.

For those who also get the Orbi 6:

1. Go to orbilogin.net
2. Login to your router
3. Go to advanced
4. Go to Wireless Settings
5. Disable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (5GHz a/n/ac/ax) under
Advanced Wireless Settings (5GHz 802.11a/n/ac/ax)
6. Apply changes
7. Setup Bull
8. Re enable WMM (undo step 5)
9. Apply changes
10. Celebrate with a beer and ribs

No need to forget wifi networks on phone.

For those who also get the Orbi 6:

1. Go to orbilogin.net
2. Login to your router
3. Go to advanced
4. Go to Wireless Settings
5. Disable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (5GHz a/n/ac/ax) under
Advanced Wireless Settings (5GHz 802.11a/n/ac/ax)
6. Apply changes
7. Setup Bull
8. Re enable WMM (undo step 5)
9. Apply changes
10. Celebrate with a beer and ribs

No need to forget wifi networks on phone.
Good post @sck77. I wished I knew this procedure when I set up my RT-590 Wi-Fi in my Orbi Mesh router.

Last edited:
Here is the procedure I used to get my older Orbi Mesh router into the 2.4GHz mode only.

Procedure to turnoff 5G mode in my Orbi Mesh router

1. Login to your router
2. Select the ADVANCED tab
3. Select Advanced Setup
4. Select Wireless Settings
5. In the Advanced Wireless Settings (5GHz 802.11a/n/ac) section uncheck the box by Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (see pic)
6. Select the APPLY button. “Please wait a moment” will appear with a scroll icon. Takes a long time (about 3 minutes) to complete so be patient.
7. If you can’t tell which mode your cell phone is in perform a speed test to see if download speed is a lot slower. If it is you should be in 2.4 GHz mode.
8. To re-enable the 5G mode undo step 5 and apply again.

Attachments

• Orbi 5G Setting.jpg
    Orbi 5G Setting.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Guest network is worth a shot. I have that setup. Google WiFi is intentionally designed to obscure advanced settings, which is a blessing and a curse. I found this support article, which basically restates what you said https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/611640?hl=

Guest network is worth a shot. I have that setup. Google WiFi is intentionally designed to obscure advanced settings, which is a blessing and a curse. I found this support article, which basically restates what you said https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/611640?hl=en
I have the Google wifi router and did everything I could think of to get my Bull to connect. When I saw the post about the "guest" wifi, I decided to give it a try and it worked immediately.

Here is the procedure I used to get my older Orbi Mesh router into the 2.4GHz mode only.

Procedure to turnoff 5G mode in my Orbi Mesh router

1. Login to your router
2. Select the ADVANCED tab
3. Select Advanced Setup
4. Select Wireless Settings
5. In the Advanced Wireless Settings (5GHz 802.11a/n/ac) section uncheck the box by Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (see pic)
6. Select the APPLY button. “Please wait a moment” will appear with a scroll icon. Takes a long time (about 3 minutes) to complete so be patient.
7. If you can’t tell which mode your cell phone is in perform a speed test to see if download speed is a lot slower. If it is you should be in 2.4 GHz mode.
8. To re-enable the 5G mode undo step 5 and apply again.
Followed all the steps and still having trouble with the Wi-Fi setup on an Orbi network. Thought having the 5GHz on the RT-1250 would help things out but it seems like I’m struggling just as much as everyone else 😩

Got it to work! Had to attach another router in wireless access point mode to the orbi which was able to separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, made sure to have it listed as my normal network name, but then temporarily change my orbi network to a different name. Connected to the grill through the “other” router (in wireless access point mode) and was able to successfully pair it. Removed the other router, renamed my orbi network to the original name, and now I’m good to go!
15B69482-5C8B-4396-8CE2-39EB97C3CC49.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back