REC TEC wifi sucks

OldBull

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
There is no way to say it to them other than, REC TEC your wifi absolutely sucks, I shouldnt have to sign into the cloud (which wont accept my passwords) just to cook and use wifi, I dont know what kind of cooperating scam you have going with roanoke but get your **** together and give us a usable, workable wifi.

To put your complaint in perspective, I just roasted a batch of almonds and every function of the remote worked as advertised. As buckeye suggested, you need to seek assistance with your individualized issue rather than condemning the product universally.

You do realize that the password for that account is not the same one for their website right? you have to create a new account for the APP. The APP works fine for me except for the alarms.

This thread illustrates my empathy for manufacturers of consumer goods; it's virtually impossible to manage and take control of online misinformation. If folks would ponder "how would I feel if others slandered my name on the Internet" maybe we'd have less of this.

Yes, both probes as well as pit temp.
Uncle Bob, did this just happen? Did you have any of them before at all? They did say they would send me an email when up and operational. Haven't had a chance to check personally yet.
Chomp'n at the bit to smoke again. . .

So my take on the op's post is if it is how i am reading it is valid. I believe their beef is that you have to log into clound from your phone / tablet or you have no access. So if your phone or tablet has no internet access or your credentials are for whatever reason hosed and rectec is closed, you are effectively screwed. And i agree, you should have access to the unit as you are connected on the same network, but alas you cannot without first logging in.

Uncle Bob, did this just happen? Did you have any of them before at all? They did say they would send me an email when up and operational. Haven't had a chance to check personally yet.
Chomp'n at the bit to smoke again. . .
Except for a brief time this past late summer/fall when RT updated their software around the same time IOS went to version 13.xx it's worked all along since I got my unit 11/18. Once RT realized the conflict from accidental poor timing it was repaired within a week IIRC. The only other operational issue I had was a weird one. Roughly through the middle of '19 I wasn't able to do on/off command from my phone, a 6S. However, from my wife's phone, a 6 we could do it, all the versions of software the same. I had a convo with RT tech, they were baffled, but forwarded to their IT guy and within a month or so the problem was resolved. Supposedly it was a small glitch unique to the 6S.

Same here. Alerts have never worked with my iPhone XS Max. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled hoping that would fix it. No go.

So my take on the op's post is if it is how i am reading it is valid. I believe their beef is that you have to log into clound from your phone / tablet or you have no access. So if your phone or tablet has no internet access or your credentials are for whatever reason hosed and rectec is closed, you are effectively screwed. And i agree, you should have access to the unit as you are connected on the same network, but alas you cannot without first logging in.
The devices may be on the same network, maybe not, but they are not connected to each other. Your Rec Tec communicates to the Rec Tec server (cloud). Your mobile device does the same. They don’t communicate directly with each other, which is why you can control the Rec Tec from your living room or someone else’s living room a thousand miles away.

I'm on Android, and my alerts have never worked. I've also had some issues with losing connectivity, which is always fixed by backing out of "control" and then going back into it.

This is one of the main selling points for RecTec, so it is pretty disappointing that it doesn't work right and not acceptable that they can't fix it.

I'm on Android, and my alerts have never worked. I've also had some issues with losing connectivity, which is always fixed by backing out of "control" and then going back into it.

This is one of the main selling points for RecTec, so it is pretty disappointing that it doesn't work right and not acceptable that they can't fix it.

I agree. If the Rec Tec had not supposedly had the features of the WiFi I would have bought the Mak Two Star. The sear plates also helped sell me on the RecTec as the Mak has a flame zone. :-/

The devices may be on the same network, maybe not, but they are not connected to each other. Your Rec Tec communicates to the Rec Tec server (cloud). Your mobile device does the same. They don’t communicate directly with each other, which is why you can control the Rec Tec from your living room or someone else’s living room a thousand miles away.
From my understanding this is his issue, his credentials were broken and he couldnt communicate with his grill. If your home isp is down, you will have no access which makes the wireless connectivity useless. Its very strange to me that the app on registrations requires you to be on the same network but alas will not work even on the same network without cloud connectivity.

From my understanding this is his issue, his credentials were broken and he couldnt communicate with his grill. If your home isp is down, you will have no access which makes the wireless connectivity useless. Its very strange to me that the app on registrations requires you to be on the same network but alas will not work even on the same network without cloud connectivity.
The initial connection may be to setup the wifi connection (ie, SSID + password). After that, it's all via the cloud. That's the case with other smart home products I have. Some have an option for local connection, but not always.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back