REC TEC wifi sucks

You guys are scaring me. I chose the Rec Tec over Grilla specifically because of the WiFi. I hope I don't regret the high hopes for the WiFi alerts that I had. My 340 arrives Thursday..

Yeah, same with me on deciding RT over GMG or Grilla. I have to say however, other than alarms not working, I haven't had any issues with the app. It works great and I have taken advantage of it numerous time. Like I have mentioned in other posts, using the app sometimes seems like cheating some!

I know this is an older post but the info is relevant, ill post every where i see a place so some can find. I changed ssid's and my grill refused to connect. I had installed an outside AP basically next to the grill, but also so i could stream whatever i wanted when i was sitting in basically a not so great zone outside. Long story short, the grill wouldnt connect. No matter what i tried i just refused. I basically gave up on it for probably 6 months. Fast forward, got a new job and new phone. New phone connected first try, i almost fell over. I disconnected grill tried old phone, nothing. Tried new phone, connected. Thought what the hell. Disconnected, tried the wifes phone, nothing. New one once again, connected no issues. So all i know for sure, there seems to be a batch of iphone xs (both wifes and my phone type) that just refuse to connect to the grill. I dont know if its bluetooth or wifi or what. Both phones work flawlessly with all other wireless and bluetooth devices, just not the grill. And i know its not all xs because it was working just fine with mine until i changed ssid. What im getting at is, if you are having issues, also try a completely different phone, doesnt matter what or who, because once the grill is connected and your phone otherwise works, it will connect to the grill. Just something seems to be off for some that have certain chipsets in certain phones for seemingly no reason at all.

I had to enable GPS the first time I set up on mine.(others didn't) Never again after. Not sure if that helps you, but try that on the old phone ?

I’ve had off and on issues with the app and alarms. Almost always around iOS updates which seemed to get fixed over time. also on occasion they seem not to work but the app functions work fine. Overall it has worked pretty well. I set up a mesh point in my garage to help with signal. Previously I had an extender (Netgear) which worked well too. I think part of the issues I had prior to putting in an extender in my garage is you really can’t tell what kind of signal the grill is seeing. You can check on other devices etc but the signal can fluctuate and the grill antenna isn’t the best. What I found is once I put in the extender I had little issues connecting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back