REC TEC wifi sucks

From my understanding this is his issue, his credentials were broken and he couldnt communicate with his grill. If your home isp is down, you will have no access which makes the wireless connectivity useless. Its very strange to me that the app on registrations requires you to be on the same network but alas will not work even on the same network without cloud connectivity.
Yes, if the home ISP goes down, then there is no wireless connectivity. However, how it works is not strange at all-the app registration requires that the devices be on the same network so that the Rec Tec device can be programmed to connect to your account on the Rec Tec server. After that, your mobile device and your grill never communicate directly, unless you need to reset the grill and connect it to a different WiFi network. This is not unique to Rec Tec-all home smart devices (keyless locks, thermostats, etc.) work this way. That is the only way it could possibly work and still be controlled by your mobile device when away from your home WiFi.

Edited to add: mooncusser2k posted while I was drafting this and they say that some devices have the option for local connection, so I’ll defer to their knowledge on this. My devices all require an internet connection.

Edited to add: mooncusser2k posted while I was drafting this and they say that some devices have the option for local connection, so I’ll defer to their knowledge on this. My devices all require an internet connection.
My robot vac can connect locally to a phone/tablet as long as both are on the exact same SSID* (as long as it's 2.4GHz). On the flip side, my smart bulbs require a cloud connection (used to have a local option but that was removed in a new version of the app).

*I gather the "same SSID" thing is why RecTec has instructions about disabling or renaming a 5Ghz radio for the initial setup, but the wording in their instructions leaves something to be desired in my opinion.

There are lots of devices and apps that can connect locally without a cloud based interchange. All the new roku's use your local wireless network to make the remote function with the streamer. My home cameras can use local connections, i have other wireless remotes that use all local connections and do not need internet connectivity. Having everything cloud based is simply because it gives the company the ability to eventually start charging for the service. Not saying they all do but the transition is very simple at that point. Just like its incredibly easy for them to allow the app to connect and communicate locally but they dont. Thats all that this entire thread has been about. Think about if you had to have a cloud connection for your computer password to work? Simply insert any other service or device you use that has a password. And back to ISP being down, if your ISP is down your local wireless is not, its simply your ability to get out and connected to anything outside your home network that is effected, not your local connectivity. The real interesting piece is, you can set the controller to local connection mode for testing and validating that the wireless is functioning correctly, its just not allowed to control the unit over this connection.

You do realize that the password for that account is not the same one for their website right? you have to create a new account for the APP. The APP works fine for me except for the alarms.
That's the problem I can't get the alarms to work on the grill or probe have S8 plus android

My Stampede and wifey’s fancy laser printer are the only devices using 2.4 GHz WiFi in my house....everything else is 5 GHz WiFi, including my iPad running iPadOS 13.3.

I have the newer (external) stub WiFi antenna on the Stampede....no WiFi dropouts yet, but whenever Wifey prints on her printer, I get that annoying data pop-up message in the RECTEC app that I have to clear.

As far as alarms...they’ve never worked....but for now that’s ok, because I’m still not comfortable letting the Stampede work by itself....I’m always looking at the app or walking outside every so often to physically check on it.

Reactions: Kim
There are lots of devices and apps that can connect locally without a cloud based interchange. All the new roku's use your local wireless network to make the remote function with the streamer. My home cameras can use local connections, i have other wireless remotes that use all local connections and do not need internet connectivity. Having everything cloud based is simply because it gives the company the ability to eventually start charging for the service. Not saying they all do but the transition is very simple at that point. Just like its incredibly easy for them to allow the app to connect and communicate locally but they dont. Thats all that this entire thread has been about. Think about if you had to have a cloud connection for your computer password to work? Simply insert any other service or device you use that has a password. And back to ISP being down, if your ISP is down your local wireless is not, its simply your ability to get out and connected to anything outside your home network that is effected, not your local connectivity. The real interesting piece is, you can set the controller to local connection mode for testing and validating that the wireless is functioning correctly, its just not allowed to control the unit over this connection
Of course there are lots of devices that can connect locally without a cloud connection, but can they also be controlled from aisle 6 of your grocery store? You can say that the design is so that they can charge for the cloud service, but a cloud service is the only way to control your grill if your mobile device is not in range of your WiFi network. Perhaps this is not a big deal to some people, but it’s pretty easy for me to get out of range of my home network while I’m still on my property. After years of dealing with the challenges of connecting smokers with a Bluetooth or IR remote, the technology used by the pellet grill manufacturers today is a blessing.

Your still missing the point and this is the last post i am making regarding this thread. The complaint is you 100% have to have cloud connectivity or remote device connectivity will not work. All the devices i have noted work with our without a cloud connection. Its not a very hard fix to allow the rectec app to work without a cloud connection. Thats all that is being asked.

You do realize that the password for that account is not the same one for their website right? you have to create a new account for the APP. The APP works fine for me except for the alarms.
Mine works fine.

There is no way to say it to them other than, REC TEC your wifi absolutely sucks, I shouldnt have to sign into the cloud (which wont accept my passwords) just to cook and use wifi, I dont know what kind of cooperating scam you have going with roanoke but get your **** together and give us a usable, workable wifi.
I absolutely love my Bull WiFi.
Setup took a while for me but it has been extremely fast to start / adjust.
Could not be better.
You might look at your router...

Your still missing the point and this is the last post i am making regarding this thread. The complaint is you 100% have to have cloud connectivity or remote device connectivity will not work. All the devices i have noted work with our without a cloud connection. Its not a very hard fix to allow the rectec app to work without a cloud connection. Thats all that is being asked.

Thank you!

I have antenna mod due to distance from router. I use iOS on iPhone 6S and all alarms work.

Last edited:
There is no way to say it to them other than, REC TEC your wifi absolutely sucks, I shouldnt have to sign into the cloud (which wont accept my passwords) just to cook and use wifi, I dont know what kind of cooperating scam you have going with roanoke but get your **** together and give us a usable, workable wifi.
I had trouble at first, but tech support was wonderful. I needed to cancel my 5.0ghz portion of my router, and Rectec app rapidly connected to by 2.4ghz band.

Although my alarms dont work, the wifi always has. Just cant use a combined SSID that is 5ghz and 2.4ghz. Must separate them out.

A nice option is if your router/access point supports a "guest" network on the 2.4GHz radio which can both have its own SSID and be kept separate from the rest of your network. Then put the RecTec and other smart home/IoT things on that. Protects your network and avoids SSID confusion.

A side note, not going to get into wifi issues as they gave me fits when I was with IBM in the 70's and 80's and I see they still do. The meat probe alarm issue, however, was one I have had from day one with the wifi 680. I just purchased the add-on antenna from an Ebay source due to range issues and wow the meat probe and drop out issues have gone away. My man cave is over 80 feet away from my deck and I can now go to the cave and cook with no problems. I should have known it! You can not substitute a dinky antenna for a proper-sized one and expect results. Doesn't work in radio and will not work on wifi.

From reading different responses it appears that everyone is a little different. I know I’m pretty tech savvy and tend to try different things when it doesn’t work as advertised. My general approach has always been to start at square one and follow directions precisely. I’m not saying that the case, but just giving you my approach.

There are lots of devices and apps that can connect locally without a cloud based interchange. All the new roku's use your local wireless network to make the remote function with the streamer. My home cameras can use local connections, i have other wireless remotes that use all local connections and do not need internet connectivity. Having everything cloud based is simply because it gives the company the ability to eventually start charging for the service. Not saying they all do but the transition is very simple at that point. Just like its incredibly easy for them to allow the app to connect and communicate locally but they dont. Thats all that this entire thread has been about. Think about if you had to have a cloud connection for your computer password to work? Simply insert any other service or device you use that has a password. And back to ISP being down, if your ISP is down your local wireless is not, its simply your ability to get out and connected to anything outside your home network that is effected, not your local connectivity. The real interesting piece is, you can set the controller to local connection mode for testing and validating that the wireless is functioning correctly, its just not allowed to control the unit over this connection.
My 700 arrived. Wow. I knew it was going to be good just from the way it was packed. I assembled it and did my first smoke yesterday. It's heavy duty. Very impressed with the smoker. I had some difficulty hooking up to wifi on my mac but I split and renamed my 5ghz. Finally, I turned off 5 ghz and it connected. Worked great from my phone. Now that I am connected, can I turn my 5 ghz back on? Also, any thoughts with running a vpn? I turned off my vpn while connecting. Any thoughts if that made the difference. Do I need to turn vpn off while using?

You can turn the 5GHz back on. The grills only use the 2.4, so turning off the 5 is to avoid issues in setting up the connection. It's not a permanent thing. As for the VPN, I'd say turn it back on and then try connecting to the RT700. If it works you have your answer.

I really hope Rec Tec opts for a tiny bit better wifi controller soon. While setting up the girl isn't really a huge process, it could be so much more simpler if they would opt for a tiny bit better controller that supports 5Ghz.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back