Beef Reverse Seared Steak

375 for a pit temperature seems to get the Grill Grates or cast iron climbing north of 450 surface temperature using an IR thermometer. The aluminum Grill Grates seem to get closer to 500, but the cast iron is more stable.

I forgot to mention that my 1250 goes from like 250 to 375 in anywhere between 4 - 7 minutes so it makes life super simple in reverse sear stuff. Because I start my initial cook with the searing tool in place, there isn't this slow heat up process to transition to searing temperatures.

It seems like I'm seeing pit temps of around 375, but the griddle can reach 450 - 475 in my experience. If I'm doing something like burgers or chicken skewers, etc. I usually crank the pit to more like 325 - 350 to get the griddle or GrillGrates in the 400 - 425 range. So I guess what I'm saying is I'm averaging 75 - 100 degrees hotter on the cooking surface vs. pit temp.

So I guess what I'm saying is I'm averaging 75 - 100 degrees hotter on the cooking surface vs. pit temp.
Thanks. We're definitely getting into Maillard reaction territory. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

I've used the grill grates with a lot of success, but I just bought a Blackstone and will sear my steaks on it tomorrow to try it out. Just got done seasoning it today.

Figure I will smoke them for a bit, and then toss on the griddle to finish them off.

Reverse sear is the only way we do our steaks! Juicy with great flavor@

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back