Bull Ribeye Slow Smoke

RainH2o

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hi All... was wanting if anyone had slow smoked a ribeye? If so, how long and at what temp? Also interested in smoke flavor...if smoke made the fat bitter? I’m sure that I can reverse sear...however I’m just wanting to cook about 30 rib eyes for a part slowwwwww. Lol. Thx

Yes @RainH2o, check out the Reverse Seared cooking method.

I smoke at 225 for about 45-60 minutes, remove from the grill and let rest while the grill gets up to 500 degrees then place on my sear plates for 2-3 minutes on each side.

It's amazing.
Thxxxx. Is there an internal temp your trying to achieve smoking at 225 for 45 min?

I agree with Mike, I've done that, and they were the best steaks I've ever cooked. I pulled them at 115 and seared them to 135.

Now that the temps are in the 30s, I'm not sure I want to try that since it will take a while to get up to 500.

I agree with Mike, I've done that, and they were the best steaks I've ever cooked. I pulled them at 115 and seared them to 135.

Now that the temps are in the 30s, I'm not sure I want to try that since it will take a while to get up to 500.
Get yourself the Rec Tec blanket, or the a welders blanket, and your grill will most likely have zero issues smoking or grilling no matter how cold.

I used a welders blanket last year in the middle of winter down here in Kentucky - it took just a few minutes to get up to 500. It was crazy!

Get yourself the Rec Tec blanket, or the a welders blanket, and your grill will most likely have zero issues smoking or grilling no matter how cold.

I used a welders blanket last year in the middle of winter down here in Kentucky - it took just a few minutes to get up to 500. It was crazy!

This is my first winter with it, so I'm probably going to just see how it does as is. I'm not real excited about cutting a welder's blanket to fit the Stampede vents and trying to keep the fiberglass out of the grill. Hopefully Rec Tec comes out with one, otherwise maybe I'll try next summer.

I smoke at 225 for about 45-60 minutes, remove from the grill and let rest while the grill gets up to 500 degrees then place on my sear plates for 2-3 minutes on each side.

This method is on my soon-to-do list. In my 4 years of smoking and grilling, every steak I've done has been on a 500f+ grill. I'm excited to experience this method :).

(New Bull owner catching up on the 9 page RT-700 category, so forgive me as I resurrect older threads)

Reverse sear...

1. Smoke at 225 until it reaches 110 internal
2. Crank that smoker to max and sear the outside until 145 internal temp.

for bonus points, lather with butter starting around 140 internal temp.

Only problem with this method is that you can never eat a steak another way after this. :)

I follow the Alton Brown method but with the Bull instead of an oven

Smoke @200 for 60 minutes or until internal temp reaches 115
Rest for 10 minutes, brush on a light coating of oil
While steaks are resting heat a cast iron pan super hot
Sear in cast iron 1 minute each side(I do mine for 45 seconds)
Rest again and serve

Attachments

• steak20-2.jpg
    steak20-2.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 76
Ive done the 225 method until 115 internal. I used to sear on the rec tec, but it seems waiting for the rec tec to heat up and then while searing it, the sear factor just dwindles cause it can't keep up, so it's just not worth it to me to sear there. So what I do is I have the sear kit on my bbq. It fit perfectly. So as the internal temp reaches 115, I fire up the bbq and sear it there when ready. It can get really hot though so beware. Sometimes I lower the heat. I like the fact that the bbq keeps it consistently hot. . I don't recommend using olive oil if searing on the bbq, it burns and smells like chemicals.

I will smoke a ribeye at 190 - 200 until I get an IT of 125. I have a cast iron skillet heating on the side burner of my gasser, drop a little bit of Ghee into the skillet. Steak on the skillet for about 1/1.5 minute each side to get a great sear and IT around 130-135.

Ive done the 225 method until 115 internal. I used to sear on the rec tec, but it seems waiting for the rec tec to heat up and then while searing it, the sear factor just dwindles cause it can't keep up, so it's just not worth it to me to sear there. So what I do is I have the sear kit on my bbq. It fit perfectly. So as the internal temp reaches 115, I fire up the bbq and sear it there when ready. It can get really hot though so beware. Sometimes I lower the heat. I like the fact that the bbq keeps it consistently hot. . I don't recommend using olive oil if searing on the bbq, it burns and smells like chemicals.

This comment reminds me of the time my wife and I went to an olive oil orchard for a tasting. We had a number of popular brand oils and the orchard's organic oil. I distinctly remember doing a comparison and tasting chemicals. They said it was because some companies use chemicals in the processing of olive oils. That was a few years ago. Since then, we've been very picky about our olive oil. Also, UC Davis did a study of EVOO from brands imported into the US from around the world. It revealed a lot of EVOO is cut with other oils, some pretty heavily. Some popular Italian brands showed oils (not all of them olive oil) from many far away countries. The UC Davis study or a summary of it is worth the read. California organic EVOO is all we buy now.

Reverse sear...

1. Smoke at 225 until it reaches 110 internal
2. Crank that smoker to max and sear the outside until 145 internal temp.

for bonus points, lather with butter starting around 140 internal temp.

Only problem with this method is that you can never eat a steak another way after this. :)
Do you know how long the smoking part usually takes?

It depends on how thick the steaks are. My best steaks are 2 inch plus cuts. I even once asked the butcher for 3 inch cuts. He looked at me like i was crazy. And he asked if I was sure I wanted them that thick. He went and cut the first one and brought it to me and asked while showing me the cut, 'are you really sure?'. 3 inches is a hunk of meat (big ribeye).

With the typical grocery store ribeye it is 45 mins to 60 minutes (these are much closer to 1 inch thickness generally). If you go super thick custom cuts it can go all the way up to 2.5 hours. The best steaks i have ever made are 2+ inches with 90 minutes to two hours at 200 degrees. Start at room temperature with the meat. (time obviously takes longer if you pull them from the fridge and they are 40 degrees versus starting when they are 70).

On the searing... read this thread again. Personal preference on this answer (all folks have different opinion) although alll will agree, each method does give you a little different flavor profile. Personally, I have moved from doing the smoke, rest (30 mins while RecTeq moves up to 500) and then sear on plates to the smoke, rest for about 10 mins and sear actually on a weber kettle with wood. Believe it or not the sear marks on the full RecTeq method are better. As you can see in my avatar they are perfect using that (with a little oil on the grates). From a flavor perspective though... we have settled 100% on always doing slow smoke, then fire on the weber. When i pull those steaks and the fat is sizzling as i put them on the table you can see the family mesmerized and not wanting to wait on the rest period. Ha. One more tid bit hint here too. With the thick cut the searing won't screw up your wellness. It is really hard to reverse sear thin steaks and hit the mark. The difference between medium rare and medium on a 1 inch steak can be 30 seconds of fire. Whereas the thicker the cut you tend to end up with medium rare (at least i do) as the crust/sear gives me the impression it is more done than it is.

Third option is the gasser as discussed above. In a pinch i will do that. Steaks are always delicious regardless of method, but i think finishing this way gets me a lot of "this is really good" reactions versus "this is amazing" i get with a finish over wood fire. On my gasser i have the infrared too. I have tried that, and it does sear quick but i have not found it to deliver the amazing flavor the gasser companies claim.

Good thread.. Just typing my reply changed my dinner plans for this evening. Ha.

Hi All... was wanting if anyone had slow smoked a ribeye? If so, how long and at what temp? Also interested in smoke flavor...if smoke made the fat bitter? I’m sure that I can reverse sear...however I’m just wanting to cook about 30 rib eyes for a part slowwwwww. Lol. Thx
I've done it several times and it's wonderful.

1) Low (180) for 2 hours (115 internal).
2) Remove steak from grill.
3) Crank to full.
4) Put Grill Grates on. (I don't usually have the patience to wait for it to come up to temp so I usually put the steak on at 400-500.)
5) Sear until 125-130 internal.

Here are some photos from when I did a tomahawk steak (cowboy ribeye) July 3.

Attachments

• IMG_0390.jpeg
    IMG_0390.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0391.jpeg
    IMG_0391.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 92
I did that the other day with my searing plates on the BBQ. Warped them because it got too hot!

I did that the other day with my searing plates on the BBQ. Warped them because it got too hot!
I dont believe it, show some pictures. I have done this numerous times with my 6 burner bbq that gets extremely hot. In fact, the aluminum grates stay there all the time when I'm just bbq-ing regulary. They never warped even still after 2 years.

Are your aluminum sear grates from Rec Tec?

Come to think of it, doesn't aluminum give off toxins when cooking with it?😯 If so, I'm toxic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back