Poultry Roasted Duck & Chicken

Burq57

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
This is the first time I have tried roasting a duck. I scored the skin, filled the interior with citrus (Orange, Lemon and Lime). Put it on the grill at 250 planing on around a 5+ hour cook (I have my temperature probe in to make sure I have a backup to time alone). Then put salt and Maple syrup on top. I will reapply the Maple syrup every 1.5 hrs.

Will be interesting to see how well this turns out as I have two couples coming over for dinner.

I did also put on a Chicken as backup just in case.

I will post before and after photos, and report back, good or bad.

What I love about pellet grilling, trying new things and having fun.

Attachments

• 708994D9-98D0-4707-86D9-1B405E2A2385.jpeg
    708994D9-98D0-4707-86D9-1B405E2A2385.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 141
  • D18E3606-DAD1-4E52-B221-4A32021287E8.jpeg
    D18E3606-DAD1-4E52-B221-4A32021287E8.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 91
The Duck turned out good, not great, but good. I ended cooking it for just short of 6 hours pulling it out at 175 degrees. The flavor was very good. The meat was done, tender and very moist, but the skin was not as crisp as I would like. I think with a little more time (maybe another 30 minutes to 1 hour) the meat would be a little more tender and the skin would be rendered down more making it crispy. I did turn up my Stampede to 400 degrees for the last 15 minutes to help crisp up the skin. It helped, but there was still a little too much fat under the skin that only more time cooking would eliminate.

For my first time cooking duck, I am pleased with the outcome. I will defiantly be cooking duck again. All my guests thought it was great (nothing left), but I feel it could have been better.

The chicken turned out perfect. I put it on the grill about 2 hours after the duck making the total cook time at 4 hours. I put some fresh rosemary, garlic and pepper in about 1/2 cup of olive oil (which set for about 3 hours), separated the skin as best I could and put the olive oil mixture between the skin and meat, as well as on top of the meat. Added an onion to the chicken cavity and put it on the grill. I pulled it out at 165 degrees and it came out perfect. I will defiantly cook chicken this way again.

Sorry I do not have any after cooking pictures. I put both birds on the cutting board to rest, left the room too long and my wife had already carved them.

Sorry I do not have any after cooking pictures. I put both birds on the cutting board to rest, left the room too long and my wife had already carved them.
Man that duck looked good at the start and sounds amazing. To bad we missed the finish product.

Great cook and good read. I like to do whole birds as well and was curious about the duck. Thanks for posting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back