RT 340 temp problem

Well I cant figure out how to post it to play... is started smoking really heavy and did like a poof idk how to explain it

Never seen anything like that !!
They have to download your file them open it. I'm wondering if the auger or fan was just stuck?...
What did the temp get to before you shut it off? Definitely send this to RecTec.

It was at like 142.... after I let it cook down after a while I took picks of the bowl looking thing. Like I said I actually have the recorded data on my phone this time

I have been cleaning out Ash and changing foil on my drip pan after every cook

68C02838-FAEC-48CC-A967-F1EB907CBEB3.jpeg

It was at like 142.... after I let it cook down after a while I took picks of the bowl looking thing. Like I said I actually have the recorded data on my phone this time

I have been cleaning out Ash and changing foil on my drip pan after every cook

View attachment 4327
Start neglecting the grill and your problems will go away. The fire pot only need to be cleaned after maybe 100 pounds of pellets burned and the drip pan scraped or foil changed after 5 to 10 cooks depending on how messy what you were cooking. I'm assuming you stick a handful of pellets in the fire pot after cleaning if so it sounds like you're putting in to much and causing the smoke, poof explosion and temperature swings.

No I don’t put a hand full and I put just a few...And I’ve only done 5 cooks and yes when I vacuumed Ash I’m talking outside the pot.. the saw dust or what ever .. I’ve only vacuumed the pot one time

I’m not trying to piss on rec tec... but since day one I’ve had trouble...

No I don’t put a hand full and I put just a few...And I’ve only done 5 cooks and yes when I vacuumed Ash I’m talking outside the pot.. the saw dust or what ever .. I’ve only vacuumed the pot one time

I’m not trying to piss on rec tec... but since day one I’ve had trouble...
Having trouble since day one is no fun RecTec will get it sorted out for you.

Yeah i hope so. as I’ve said already the customer support is without question the best I’ve ever felt with! They seem to really care about you. Even in such a crazy time, but at some point I need the product to work... atleast plus or minus 10 degrees...

Make certain that your main fan is working properly. Mine would hang up and cause my temps to vary up and down greatly. Once replaced, the grill holds temps relatively well and I'm a happy camper.

I was told by support that normally the sticky fan is only experienced at burn-in and once you get it going, it does not repeat. Unfortunately that was not the case for me and I had to replace it about 3 to 4 months in due to sporadic fan stopages. At burn-in I had a major fire when the auger kept dropping pellets since it could not come to temp with the fan was stuck. By the time I was able to check the firepot, pellets had overflowed the pot into the bottom of the barrel.

Well I took the grill back to Rec tec a week ago I had replaced the controller already, when I took it to them they said my fan was the problem they replaced it... soo that Saturday I cooked some beef ribs.. it took it about 45 mins to settle in. Once It settled in it held temp pretty well. It spiked about 30 degrees high a from time to time, but it wasn’t long enough to bother me... then last night I cooked some chicken and noticed it never really settled.. then just for kicks after a proper shut down I let it cool off cut it back on with my phone for the first time to actually monitor it... set it to 250.. it got to temp for like 5 mins then took a nose dive...

QTip,
The weather does in fact affect the temps and cook with the RT340. I had the exact same issue, called and was told to do the same thing. When ambient temps outside were in the 90's, I had to keep auger setting on 30-35 in order to keep temp regulated where I needed it for my cook. When temps dropped in to the 70's, I found that I had to increase my auger setting to 55-65(max) in order for the smoker to regulate cooking temp and keep steady cooking temp throughout entire cook. Doing this on my last two long cooks that were both pork butt worked great, no major spikes in smoker cooking temps. I believe what was happening before when temps outside were high and auger was set on low at 30-35, the auger was only feeding the fire pot small amounts which helped to not cause it to over heat but if you leave auger setting on 30-35 when temps are low outside(cooler) the auger will not be pushing adequate enough amounts of pellets into the fire pot and in turn temp in smoker will drop off and in turn will automatically turn the igniter into a small flame thrower and it will not have any fuel source in the fire pot to burn so that causes a huge spike in temperature. As long as this Georgia heat continues, I will be doing most of my smoking between dusk and dawn and will be adjusting the auger setting accordingly. I know this issue technically now makes this pellet smoker unofficially a set and forget about smoker (like it is marketed to be) but it performs very well otherwise.

Hope this helps! happy smoking!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back