Bull RT 700 First smoke/cook and review

Buckeye smoker

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So let's backup a sec...

Received my Bull on Thursday and wasn't pleased with the condition of the shipping box when it arrived. (Top was smashed and two inner parts boxes were slight smashed also) none of which is Rec Tec's doing of course.
  1. Have some minor issues with the unit.
  2. power cord has pretty good pinch in it.
  3. rust on one of the swivel wheels.
  4. one of the handle inserts totally pulls out sometimes when moving the grill.
  5. WiFi wire is broken off antenna, and can't connect.
Talked to Eddie at customer service and some issues have already been resolved. I'm confident the others will be also.

Even with these minor setbacks, I really like the construction of the grill and the break-in burn went very well. The quality of the customer service tells me this is a quality company. I appreciate that*

On to the food !!

So my first try was just a couple racks of spare-ribs. The ole' 3-2-1 method, and what I like to call my "Great Black Swamp Style" (wet) soaking in their own aus'ju.
The unit held temp perfectly with very subtle changes. Even when opening the lid for wrapping the racks in foil, it only recovered to 233 highest and fell right back to a perfect 225° right away. Very impressive.

I really like the IO extreme smoke mode and will be using it alot in the future.
One thing I didn't do (cause I was too impatient to wait) was calibrate all the temperature probes. They did seem to hold fairly close temp readings, but I definitely want to make sure they are all in sync as much as possible for next time.

The cook went easy and we'll. This first cook seemed a little more dry than what I'm used to with my gas/wood/water pan setup. I'll wait to make a decision on a water pan after a few more Rec Tec smokes and reading all the info here in the forum. All in all it was a successful (and tasty) first try. At this point I'm pretty satisfied with my Bull purchase... Going to use the hell out of this thing !!

I also have a possible quick mod to post later.

Here's Pics:

IMG_20190622_140800.jpg
IMG_20190622_134307.jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190622191157091_COVER.jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190622203242004_COVER.jpg
IMG_20190622_134954.jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190622204349704_COVER.jpg
IMG_20190622_143325.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS on the new grill! Your first cook looks great and cant wait to see more!

Please keep us informed as to the progress with the issues! Love hearing about their customer service!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back