Bull RT-700 Smoker Box

NTB72

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I just bought the platinum package but am undecided about the smoker box. Does anyone on here use theirs often? I’m trying to decide whether to put it on or try to sell it.

I really haven’t found a good use for this so called cold smoker box, would not buy again.

I just bought the platinum package but am undecided about the smoker box. Does anyone on here use theirs often? I’m trying to decide whether to put it on or try to sell it.
You know, it’s not about how many times you use something, but more of how many times you would have if you just would have put it on.. I’ve used mine for fish... salmon, because I really like crackers with smoked salmon during my cocktail hour.. My friends and family have never complained about enjoying this on our get togethers with our drinks, but it’s funny they will ask me if I can bring some along with me on our week fishing trips in the mountains... My recommendation is put it on and enjoy the stress free way to not over cook your fish..?

Attachments

• 65739B8C-C1BB-482A-BADD-003D8176D1A5.jpeg
    65739B8C-C1BB-482A-BADD-003D8176D1A5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 179
  • 37403E2A-ADB3-47C5-9B0C-510DD6931A8F.jpeg
    37403E2A-ADB3-47C5-9B0C-510DD6931A8F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 169
  • DEF61D20-C781-41C4-9308-ACC66F73EB6C.jpeg
    DEF61D20-C781-41C4-9308-ACC66F73EB6C.jpeg
    984.5 KB · Views: 192
  • 9BDEF88F-7AC7-44B0-896F-E3EEF4B4BDAF.jpeg
    9BDEF88F-7AC7-44B0-896F-E3EEF4B4BDAF.jpeg
    579.8 KB · Views: 156
Thanks for the reply!! I have been considering putting it on and may end up doing it. The salmon sounds great!!

Take a cast iron skillet, throw in your favorite BBQ bean recipe and leave it there for the duration of the cook -- best beans ever. Queso dip also works great in a cast iron skillet. The same would apply for keeping things warm that are done, like sausages. Once they look about right, move them to one of the shelves till everything is ready. I am sure there are more cold smoke things to do but I haven't gotten there yet.

Take a cast iron skillet, throw in your favorite BBQ bean recipe and leave it there for the duration of the cook -- best beans ever. Queso dip also works great in a cast iron skillet. The same would apply for keeping things warm that are done, like sausages. Once they look about right, move them to one of the shelves till everything is ready. I am sure there are more cold smoke things to do but I haven't gotten there yet.
[/QUOTE

I couldn't live without mine. I make all of my sides in there on long cooks. Mac N cheese is one of the best things we do. put it in an aluminum pan. put it in there when i throw the prime rib on (for xmas) and it will have an incredibly flavor.

I also do a lot of things like.. Cheesed stuffed poppers. veggies. and it is awesome for resting. I put my pork butts on the bottom shelf when i pull off the main grill.

Maybe the best thing i have done in it was an experiment where i put apple slices in there then drizzled them with caramel for a desert. People raved about that concoction for a year. Just got them warm.. didn't brown them and the caramel was warm too. Was great.

Baumer and Bobrectec covered my thoughts about fish and beans in the smoke box. Tri-tip is my specialty and I go to great lengths to get a low enough temp in my komados to add a couple hours of smoke without cooking them past medium rare. The smoke box sounds perfect for that too.

I use mine to keep pans of baked beans warm while finishing other items.

I Like to hang thick bacon from the racks and put a smoking tube in my 680 without turning it on. Works great. Also use it with the smoke tube for sausage. Will try cheese next

I tried cheese once and didn't get the temp low enough. Came back to string cheese. That was a lot of fun to clean up. Ha. I take pics of good outcomes (see avatar)… I left the cam inside for that disaster. ha.

I did 3 kinds of cheddar in my smoke box a couple days ago. It's really incredible.

I ordered two extra smoke stacks from RT and bolted them to the smoke box. Had to enlarge the hole that should attach to the grill. Used a stainless dryer vent hose from the grill to the
(now) cold smoker box.View attachment 1991

Cutplug,
That's a great idea! You're a thermodynamics genius. When I did my second run of cheeses, I tried using the middle shelf, but it was just too hot with the box bolted directly to the side of the Bull and I started to get melting of the one block of cheese nearest the inlet. I had actually thought about doing this as I had seen the dryer ducting used by someone on another komado type BBQ forum years ago. I believe that ducting is actually aluminum, if it's the same HomeD stuff I used for our dryer. If so, aluminum is actually much much better than stainless steel at helping shed the heat out of the RT-700's exhaust before it reaches the smoke box.

Also, one thing I noted during my couple runs of smoking cheese was that the lower shelf doesn't get much smoke airflow and the cheese needed much longer on the lower shelf to get smoked to my desire. The flow seems to just come in the side and mostly go across the middle and upper shelves. Maybe a baffle out of a piece of sheetmetal or foil to split the flow down/up as it enters the box would help.

Now....I'm just trying to think of a way to do something like this while keeping the box bolted to the Bull and be able to go back and forth on configurations, direct exhaust and cooled exhaust. I'd actually like to be able to use the box for a holding or even a hot smoking box. Maybe a flat sheetmetal "valve" between the box and the Bull and another outlet on the Bull and inlet on the box, both with valves....

I previously reached-out to RT to ask what I could expect from this box in terms of minimal-achievable temps when the Bull runs at the lowest temp setting. Their feedback indicated the box would maintain at least 100*f lower temps than the Bull's temp (unless it's 100f outside and in intense sunlight). Based on some dialogue on this and other threads it feels to me this is not folks' real-world experience. Should I not expect to maintain, say, 100f without a pan of ice or other means of human intervention? Thx.

Extreme smoke on my Bull at standard auger speed ,operates about 180° I don't have the cold smoke box, but I would assume you could adjust your auger speed way down to lower the temp out put. Is this what you guys are doing?
... maybe you could use a smoke tube, and not even turn the grill on?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back