Bull RT-700 Smoker Box

My ThermoWorks Smoke thermometer showed 80-90F temps on the bottom shelf of the smoke box when burning LJ Cherry pellets at the lowest setting on my Bull. But as the hours went on, it crept up around 90+ and I put a tray of ice in the middle shelf. The middle shelf runs a bit higher, maybe 10F, and even higher right at the inlet from the Bull main chamber. The upper shelf I didn't check. But yes, it runs hotter than desired for cheese smoking.

Cutplug,
That's a great idea! You're a thermodynamics genius. When I did my second run of cheeses, I tried using the middle shelf, but it was just too hot with the box bolted directly to the side of the Bull and I started to get melting of the one block of cheese nearest the inlet. I had actually thought about doing this as I had seen the dryer ducting used by someone on another komado type BBQ forum years ago. I believe that ducting is actually aluminum, if it's the same HomeD stuff I used for our dryer. If so, aluminum is actually much much better than stainless steel at helping shed the heat out of the RT-700's exhaust before it reaches the smoke box.

Also, one thing I noted during my couple runs of smoking cheese was that the lower shelf doesn't get much smoke airflow and the cheese needed much longer on the lower shelf to get smoked to my desire. The flow seems to just come in the side and mostly go across the middle and upper shelves. Maybe a baffle out of a piece of sheetmetal or foil to split the flow down/up as it enters the box would help.

Now....I'm just trying to think of a way to do something like this while keeping the box bolted to the Bull and be able to go back and forth on configurations, direct exhaust and cooled exhaust. I'd actually like to be able to use the box for a holding or even a hot smoking box. Maybe a flat sheetmetal "valve" between the box and the Bull and another outlet on the Bull and inlet on the box, both with valves....
Thanks for the kind words!! Yes the tube is aluminum, I guess stainless is just easier to spell.
The smoke box is not well thought out by the RT folks, just a square knock off of the Traeger version.
The baffle is a good idea but the second shelf support runs right through the inlet hole but I think some type of deflection would help. I was thinking of a downdraft "intake" versus the downdraft exhaust devices that you see.

I previously reached-out to RT to ask what I could expect from this box in terms of minimal-achievable temps when the Bull runs at the lowest temp setting. Their feedback indicated the box would maintain at least 100*f lower temps than the Bull's temp (unless it's 100f outside and in intense sunlight). Based on some dialogue on this and other threads it feels to me this is not folks' real-world experience. Should I not expect to maintain, say, 100f without a pan of ice or other means of human intervention? Thx.
Oh you will maintain 100 plus without intervention. Even up to 150 which is why users dont like it much as your cheese will melt. The temp gauges go to 500 so maybe it should be used as a sear box!

Extreme smoke on my Bull at standard auger speed ,operates about 180° I don't have the cold smoke box, but I would assume you could adjust your auger speed way down to lower the temp out put. Is this what you guys are doing?
... maybe you could use a smoke tube, and not even turn the grill on?
I cant the bull below 180 either even adjusting the feed rate. The smoke tube is a good idea
but I have found that the smoke is just too acrid. The stick burners want that thin blue smoke
because it doesn't make food taste like a campfire and the tube smoke is just
thick white. I do use it from time to time and it works but be careful not to over smoke as the taste can get a bit cloying.

I put half chips half pellets in mine. I'm going to try it on some cheeses here soon. See what happens.

I cant the bull below 180 either even adjusting the feed rate. The smoke tube is a good idea
but I have found that the smoke is just too acrid. The stick burners want that thin blue smoke
because it doesn't make food taste like a campfire and the tube smoke is just
thick white. I do use it from time to time and it works but be careful not to over smoke as the taste can get a bit cloying.

I agree. The real beauty of the pellet grill is the clean burn of the wood. It's a micro stick burner with draft control. It may come across as light smoke, but that's better than acrid, sooty, white smoke.

I was trying to come up with a way to tap a smoke stack off of the main pit somewhere else and rig a valve, route an alternate smoke tube that cooled the smoke before it entered, like cutplug's extension does, all while still bolted to the main pit. But I'm starting to think a remote box is fine for the rare times I cold smoke. I may go the other way with the box and insulate it to get it to heat better for actual cooking in it.

We are not big cheese eaters, so i like the baked beans and mac & cheese ideas. We usually have at least 3 to 4 sides with each grill meals such as corn, baked beans, green beans etc.

Come on guys..... more smoker box cooking ideas!

I considered buying the smoke box last week when when I put my order in for the RT-700. 20% off was pretty enticing alright. But, I decided against it for now. I have cold smoked many, many pounds of cheese as well as quite a few homemade sausage links. For me cold smoking is seasonal at best, I only cold smoke when its 40-50 deg F ambient out or lower. The colder the better. Cheese absolutely has to be cold smoked at below 90 deg F internal chamber temp, lower is better! Or, you end up with a melted mess. If your ambient temp is over 50-60 deg F outside I'd bet good money you're not going to be able to use a Rec Tec cold smoker box for cheese. Also, folks are right about direct sunshine raising your internal cooking chamber significantly. Trust me on that one, I learned the hardway......lost a lot of cheese that day! Hahaha!

If you really want to use the Rec Tec for cold smoking cheese I would consider using an amaze-n-smoker tray or tube with pellets in the main cooking chamber with the grill completely shut down in the shade and you'll probably get decent results with that setup provided it's cool enough outside. I think the smoker box is an excellent idea to use as a lower temp fish/sausage smoker and of course as a food warming oven. But as anyone who has used several pieces of BBQ equipment over the years knows that a lot of different grills/smokers/cookers do everything you want them to do for the most part just some do certain things better than others!

I have a buddy that did some cheese with the smoketube and it turned out great. Ive been meaning to, but just haven't got around to it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back