RT-1250 RT1250 WITH SMOKE BOX

NSolis

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Looking to mount a Smokai smoke generator but the 1250 has the smoke exhaust on the same side as the smoke box so the only place is on top of the opposite shelf. My question is would it be too high in the barrel for proper smoking? Unsure if the height of smoke entering the barrel won't really matter as long as smoke generator is inside the barrel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1000013028.jpg
1000013026.jpg

In theory it will increase the quantity of smoke, in reality, the top shelf will probably have a better smoke profile than the lower shelf depending on the volume of smoke being greater than the smoker’s ability to exhaust the chamber’s content. The same principle applies to a smoke tube. In my opinion (which won’t even buy a cup of coffee these days), the lower the source of smoke the better. That is why offsets and even pellet grills usually have the fire pot below any cooking surfaces to allow maximum saturation as the smoke rises in lieu of skirting across the top of the protein or items being cooked. Where I may have concern is any temperature fluctuations that may occur if the output from the Smokeai is above 180F near the built in temperature probe. Should it exceed your cooking temperature you may find the RT controller “hunting” to keep the temperature profile stable (e.g., I can typically keep my temps within +/- 3F over a 22 hour cook by placing my smoke tube(s) in the rear of the chamber as they are a source of heat but not above the temp identified above). I cite the 180 as I often use maximum smoke for the first couple of hours to impart as much flavor as possible and depending on the ambient temperature, my Bull sometimes chases its tail, lol). Note: I also place my smoke tube(s) that can run for over 6 hours under my grates sitting on a fireproof brick to make sure the smoke rises, but that is optional as it can create a maintenance step during refill that most won’t want to put up with. Either way, I don’t think you will have less smoke which is ultimately what you are trying to achieve. Let us know how it works out for you.

You will want to be able to take it apart for maintenance. It WILL get all creosote'd up and you WILL need to clean it. Just keep that in mind, no matter where you mount it.

And.........that thing is HUGE ! With a full fuel load, it'll probably provide 8 hours of smoke. I have a Smoke Daddy "Big Kahuna" and it'll go about an hour and a half on a single charge;

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/big-kahuna-cold-smoke-generator/

I do have to pull it apart to clean it periodically. A propane torch and various scrapers work best. Just burn off the creosote as best you can. Most of what comes off is just ashes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back