Scratch Bacon - Reduex w/cheese

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Since I totally FUBB'd my first attempt at scratch bacon, I figured I'd do it again...not the FUBB part, hopefully.

I did a bit more reading and found some better references and a wet cure calculator that accounts for the meat thickness and the curing salt concentration. I did about 2 days of cure per the calculator.

Half the batch is straight curing salt and kosher and will get any flavors from the smoking.

The other half of the batch is a classic maple/brown sugar/pepper recipe in addition to the basic curing salt and kosher salt.

I just started it and I decided I should do some more regular Tillamook medium cheddar in the smoke box. That was my favorite of the smoke cheeses I did last time. I also threw in a partial block of Costco Parmesian and a piece of Tillamook Pepper Jack, just for the experimental side of me. I always loved R&D and test.

20200130_153846.jpg
20200130_153928.jpg

Done. 150F internal. Roughly 4 hours @ 180F burning 50/50 Lj cherry/Pit Boss Apple.

The cheese, I'm gonna run longer.
20200130_185800.jpg

Last edited:
I let the cheese go 5 hrs @ 180F in the smoke box. The pepper jack was starting to melt. I caught it in time to remove it before it got too out of shape. This pic was taken at the 4 hr mark.

The parmesian got almost 6 hrs of smoke. I tried some, but it's pretty sharp on the smoke flavor. I think it will mellow with a week of aging. The exterior has a heavy layer of smoke. But parmesian is generally used as a condiment and strong smoke may work well.

20200130_185734.jpg
20200131_003427.jpg

Last edited:
I fried up a couple strips of each, the salt and the maple/brown sugar. Both were great with pinot noir.
20200131_161307.jpg
20200131_161919.jpg

I had planned on leaving some for my wife, but it was so good I ate all of it. I had to fry up some more and leave it be until my wife comes home.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back