Bull Sealing the lid.... what does it take?

spartanhuntr

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
As my 700 as gotten some miles on it, i noticed my lid isn't quite as tight as it was when i got it. a hair difference, but enough that i see smoke coming out of the top and the front a bit. I bought the sealing/gasket tape on amazon and was planning to put it on and realized i didn't think through it... i have build up at the seals. (probably causing the smoke to escape).

I tried degreaser and paper towel... didn't work. I tried a light grain scouring pad. Didn't get it done. I don't want to push it too far. On the stainless part it isn't that big of deal. if i scratch it a bit the gasket will hide it. BUt the lid side and paint makes me nervous. Anyone have any recommendations? How far should i go? Ok to really sand it a bit to get a clean surface and purchase for the gasket tape?

Any thoughs?

I sealed mine right after I got it - one roll of lavalock did all 4 sides of the lid and the entire hopper lid. No smoke escapes around the lid now - glad I did it.

That is why I was cleaning it so I could put on the gasket! I used the XTS 1/2" x 1/8" Lava Lock so hope that is thick enough. The XTS is lifetime warranty for a few more bucks.
Guess it wouldn't hurt to do the hopper.
Horns Out Baby!

0328201208b_resized.jpg
0328201209a_resized.jpg

I got Lava Lock after using the Bull several times. Decided I would put it on one night just before dark. A WHILE later and with use of a headlamp, finally got it clean enough for it to stick. I'm not sure what works best, but lots of elbow grease and rags for sure. I used a degreaser and alcohol.

That is why I was cleaning it so I could put on the gasket! I used the XTS 1/2" x 1/8" Lava Lock so hope that is thick enough. The XTS is lifetime warranty for a few more bucks.
Horns Out Baby!

View attachment 2594View attachment 2595

I bought the 1/8 x 1/2 Lavaloc (Nomex) also. I see you adhered it to the lid. I was going to stick it to the barrel. Any reason one way or the other would be preferable?

I guess cause traditionally you would put it on the door of a wood stove and not the body.
I don't think it would make a difference. I wouldn't want to put it on the body just for a visual
thing.
Horns Out Baby!

Horns Out Baby!

View attachment 2594View attachment 2595

How'd it work out? Was it thick enough? After the today's flap meat and tritip, I may have to get to installing mine.

I got Lava Lock after using the Bull several times. Decided I would put it on one night just before dark. A WHILE later and with use of a headlamp, finally got it clean enough for it to stick. I'm not sure what works best, but lots of elbow grease and rags for sure. I used a degreaser and alcohol.
The alcohol is the key. Jack Daniels. ?

I just finished installing mine. I got the 1/8 x 1/2 Nomex. My Bull had 3 month worth of Q-ing all kinds of things maybe 2-3 times a week. Some hot and fast briskets and ribs, etc. It was carbon caked and stained pretty badly across the top. Even had smoke / grease staining on the hopper lid. I started cleaning with dish soap and baking soda. It worked pretty well for the lighter stuff. But wasn't getting the harder stuff. I recall I had bought a can of aerosol Simple Green BBQ cleaner. I squirted some of it on and waited a few minutes and it started dissolving the carbon quickly. I ended up with almost no use of abrasive pads until some small areas proved too stubborn. I quickly took care of them with a stainless curly scowering pad and the Simple Green BBQ cleaner.

It looks like it is pretty well sealed when the door is closed now.
20200330_154525.jpg
20200330_165705.jpg
20200330_154449.jpg

Yeah I like the grill seasoned on the inside, not the outside.
Good job in removing the lid.
Once an Engineer always an Engineer!

If I replace the seal, I'm going with your recommendation of putting it on the door. I was worried about adherence to the textured paint on the door, but a little 320 grit would fix that.

As my 700 as gotten some miles on it, i noticed my lid isn't quite as tight as it was when i got it. a hair difference, but enough that i see smoke coming out of the top and the front a bit. I bought the sealing/gasket tape on amazon and was planning to put it on and realized i didn't think through it... i have build up at the seals. (probably causing the smoke to escape).

I tried degreaser and paper towel... didn't work. I tried a light grain scouring pad. Didn't get it done. I don't want to push it too far. On the stainless part it isn't that big of deal. if i scratch it a bit the gasket will hide it. BUt the lid side and paint makes me nervous. Anyone have any recommendations? How far should i go? Ok to really sand it a bit to get a clean surface and purchase for the gasket tape?

Any thoughs?
After a bunch of cooks, my Bull is starting to leak smoke out of the top of the lid. I'm going to see if it needs to be cleaned, if not, I'm ready to seal the lid. I have leftover from sealing my Big Green Egg. Does anyone see any any downside?

After a bunch of cooks, my Bull is starting to leak smoke out of the top of the lid. I'm going to see if it needs to be cleaned, if not, I'm ready to seal the lid. I have leftover from sealing my Big Green Egg. Does anyone see any any downside?

The only downside is the time it takes to clean before you can adhere it. But the upside is you'll have a sparkling clean Bull.

The lowest effort install would be to zip the door off with a screw gun and an 8mm socket (4 screws/nuts), get some Simple Green HD BBQ Grill Cleaner and hose down the inside, scrub it with a mild abrasive pad (inside only) along the edge after a few minutes of the cleaner working. Hose it off with water and clean the edge with alcohol (don't forget your favorite beverage for all this). Apply the seal to the door. You really don't need to clean the stainless drum unless you just want a clean drum. The Simple Green BBQ cleaner will really make easy work of cleaning. I've run about 9 hours on the Bull since the seal installation. It still looks as clean as when I finished cleaning. Normally, I'd see a brown smoke stain across the top of the drum after this much smoking.

Just remembered, I had trouble holding 180F when set a LO after installing the seal. It would run hotter than the 180F I was used to seeing. I went into the settings menu and lowered the Min Feed from 65 down to 55 and all was well when I smoked some sausage and cheese on a 6 hour run. Here's a quick video from Rectec on how to change the minimum feed rate. https://www.google.com/search?q=adj.....69i57j33.15094j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited:
The only downside is the time it takes to clean before you can adhere it. But the upside is you'll have a sparkling clean Bull.

The lowest effort install would be to zip the door off with a screw gun and an 8mm socket (4 screws/nuts), get some Simple Green HD BBQ Grill Cleaner and hose down the inside, scrub it with a mild abrasive pad (inside only) along the edge after a few minutes of the cleaner working. Hose it off with water and clean the edge with alcohol (don't forget your favorite beverage for all this). Apply the seal to the door. You really don't need to clean the stainless drum unless you just want a clean drum. The Simple Green BBQ cleaner will really make easy work of cleaning. I've run about 9 hours on the Bull since the seal installation. It still looks as clean as when I finished cleaning. Normally, I'd see a brown smoke stain across the top of the drum after this much smoking.

Just remembered, I had trouble holding 180F when set a LO after installing the seal. It would run hotter than the 180F I was used to seeing. I went into the settings menu and lowered the Min Feed from 65 down to 55 and all was well when I smoked some sausage and cheese on a 6 hour run. Here's a quick video from Rectec on how to change the minimum feed rate. https://www.google.com/search?q=adj.....69i57j33.15094j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

wouldn’t the PID adjust the temp automatically? Isn’t that what they are supposed to do?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back