Searing Steaks

If you watch his video's, you know that he keeps it entertaining. Apparently, some add-ons and other changes coming soon to the CI predictive thermometer. Good show.

@Greg Jones, when they get it ready to roll out, will it require new thermometers or are the necessary electronics already in the current ones?
My understanding, it will all be firmware/software upgrades. I’m on the beta list, and no one told me I’d need to spend a penny more.

My understanding, it will all be firmware/software upgrades. I’m on the beta list, and no one told me I’d need to spend a penny more.
Thanks, @Greg Jones; that would be great if it was just a firmware/software upgrade. I don’t suppose there’s any way for CI to upgrade the ambient temperature tolerance level without new hardware. That was the one thing that I noted with Meater upgrade that I thought would be great to have. I have briefly exceeded the 575F limit on one of the two units, but caught it quickly enough (due to the over-temp alarm) that I don’t think there was any damage.

If CI has any kind of Black Friday sale, I may add one more Thermometer to the two I have now. I’m really starting to like the predictive feature; it has been spot on for me.

Steak video Pretty interesting steak video from Chris Young, founder/owner of Combustion Inc. thermometers. it jumps pretty deep into tech talk at times, but Chris is a scientist. The thermometers get mentioned also, but it’s not a commercial either.
Very interesting video, Greg. And, it dispels some things I had thought were essential to searing a steak properly. Maybe I don’t need that 1800F sear station on the gas grill after all. :unsure:

The good news is that you don’t have to run the sear station wide open, so I can also achieve that 300-350F sear temp Chris talks about. I’ll give that a try with the next steak I sear on it.

Interestingly enough, I recently tried doing a steak on the RT-340 and it turned out pretty well. I did 20 minutes on low to get a little smoke and pulled the steak at 105F. After a 20-minute rest while I preheated the grill to 350F, I put the steaks back on and 3-4 minutes on each side brought them to 128F where I pulled them. The outside sear wasn’t as good as I would have liked, but I didn’t flip them every 30 seconds as Chris suggests. That may be the secret.

Since we like steak (usually 1.5-2” thick filets), I’m going to do some experimenting with doing them on the pellet grill rather than the gasser.

Maybe I don’t need that 1800F sear station on the gas grill after all.

Yes but you have it, so what’s a person gonna do 🤣

Steak video Pretty interesting steak video from Chris Young, founder/owner of Combustion Inc. thermometers. it jumps pretty deep into tech talk at times, but Chris is a scientist. The thermometers get mentioned also, but it’s not a commercial either.
Thanks a lot Greg. Now I'm off to buy a deep fryer. Haha!
But seriously, great video. I never thought about the math of it. I've seared all ways except deep fried..... Yet
Thanks for sharing

So, to what temperature does Greg recommend you bring the steak up to in the oven? At one point it sounded like he was searing by time (one minute per side). But at another point he was searing to 129. If you are only going to sear for 1 minute after letting it rest for 30 minutes, it seems like you would have t cook it to nearly 129 in the oven. I have been pulling my steaks at around 105 and then searing to 128. But, that has been taking 3 minutes plus per side IIRC.

No one in particular. Just seeking opinions.
I’ve had good success with pull at 120, then sear for no more than 1-½ minutes per side. I’m going to try all of Chris’ recommended methods, except for the deep-fry. I realize that gives great results, but I just don’t care to deep fry in the house and the weather/season will not always be your friend to deep fry outside. I really don’t care to hard sear inside the house either, but that I don’t mind so much doing in the dark or inclement weather outside.

I’ve had good success with pull at 120, then sear for no more than 1-½ minutes per side. I’m going to try all of Chris’ recommended methods, except for the deep-fry. I realize that gives great results, but I just don’t care to deep fry in the house and the weather/season will not always be your friend to deep fry outside. I really don’t care to hard sear inside the house either, but that I don’t mind so much doing in the dark or inclement weather outside.
To test this I picked up a 30$ small easy to clean/operate deep fryer. Let me tell you. Fantastic. No matching words. Best steak ever!
I slow cooked at 180F on the Bull rt700 for almost 2 hours a few 2" thick cut tenderloins. Pulled at 130F internal. Using my Meater 2 plus. I let internal cool to 100F.

Meanwhile plugged in the fryer and it heated right up. With new thermometer installed I could see internal and oil temp. Oil was 410F and within 90 seconds internal temp came right back to 130F. Pulled it right away. Cooked rest of them 90 seconds and rested. Wow. That's on perfect sear.

Next plan. Test, test, retest..... Haha

20231126_170825.jpg

Haven't tried deep frying. Most consistent results for me are reverse searing (@200-225 F) up to 120 F, remove/rest and crank the grill up to 400-550 F and toss back on for 3-5 mins until internal temp hits 130-135 F. I angle toward the higher temps with thicker cuts.

My brother-in-law brings insanely good thick cut bone-in Delmonico steaks from his local butcher whenever visiting. He gets giddy every time, waiting for me to fire them up on my RT-1250 hehe

Might just invest in one of those fancy predictive thermometers :)

I just can’t bring myself to deep-fry a steak; sorry. My best reverse-sear results have been to smoke a 1-1/2-2” thick steak to 118F internal temp on the pellet grill at 180F, then sear on my gas grill sear station.

I sear 30 seconds, flip, then repeat (rotating 45-60 degrees for a nice pattern) for a total of 1 minute per side. That gets a decent sear crust without raising the internal temp above our preferred 138F. YMMV

Deep fry actually sounds awesome, I’d keep it down to a cast iron baste/sear in clarified butter. A bucket full of clarified butter is a bit extravagant for me.

I smoke for an hour which takes me to 110, then 3-4 minutes grill grates per side.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back