Separated Brisket Flat & Point Cook Times

STPLE

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I’m new to smoking (have a RT700 for about 8 months). For a newbie I’ve had amazing results with my Rec Tec. We love it!!
For SuperBowl party I want to try smoke a brisket (low and slow at 225ish). I want to try separating the point and flat before the cook and make KC style burnt ends out of the point.
Here’s my question - about how long will it take to smoke a separated flat and point?? I’d smoke them at the same time. I’m guessing when I buy the full packer brisket it will weigh roughly 12 to 15 pounds. Would I still shoot for about 1:15 per pound?? So maybe 7 to 10 hour range (bc the pieces of meat are smaller)- instead of 16ish hour range??
Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

I'm going to sit back and drink a cold one or three and wait for the experienced responses to come in. I think it's best to trim them apart at the great fat divide but keep them together and cook as one. However, there are plenty of more experienced smokers out there than me....

I would cook as 1 and then separate after reaching temp and then cut up the point and cover with rub and sauce and put back in. After cook, it cuts apart easily through the fat. The biggest thing I have learned smoking, is that I do not cook by time. Cook by temp. a 12-15 lb brisket may take 15+ hours. The only thing I did on time was to finish the burnt ends after they reached 203 as a whole and where cut up, as I only wanted to cook the sauce on them. The burnt ends were such hit, my son told me I need to find just the point and only cook burnt ends, not the flat at all, they loved it so much.

As cc mentions, I would cook on temp rather than time. When the meat hits the target temp (195-205) you can probe for tenderness to ensure you are where you want to be. I would also trim the brisket but cook it whole and cut the point off when target temp is hit, and prepare the burnt ends. Start the meat earlier than you think in order to ensure it is done when you need it to be done. Since these are large cuts of meat, you can wrap the flat in foil, then put it in a cooler with towels and it will stay hot for hours (3-4). This allows for a little bit of a buffer zone for you to cook and serve. You should do this anyway while your burnt ends are finishing in the pit. Then put the burnt ends in the Cooler until you are ready to slice and serve your flat and ends. Just my thoughts. Others might have a little more info.

It's one of the simple truths of cooking: Meat can't tell time. It's nice to have a ballpark estimate for planning, but there will always be variation. Better to go by temperature and probing for tenderness.

Thanks guys. I’ve cooked a few full packer briskets with surprisingly good results for a newbie. I was just thinking if I split them and cooked them separately at the same time it might cook a little bit quicker and I’d have more bark on the burnt ends. Instead of guessing 15-16 hours it might be 9-10, etc.
Thanks again for the good advice - I’ve learned so much on this forum.

Look up some videos from Harry Soo. He does a radical competition trim that will give you a lot of burnt ends from the point and flat for slices. But there is a lot of meat trimmings left. You can use the trimmings for stew or chili.

Also, look up Aaron Franklin's videos for a more conventional trim and cooking method. Both Franklin and Soo use wrapping methods for a moist finish.

I’m new to smoking (have a RT700 for about 8 months). For a newbie I’ve had amazing results with my Rec Tec. We love it!!
For SuperBowl party I want to try smoke a brisket (low and slow at 225ish). I want to try separating the point and flat before the cook and make KC style burnt ends out of the point.
Here’s my question - about how long will it take to smoke a separated flat and point?? I’d smoke them at the same time. I’m guessing when I buy the full packer brisket it will weigh roughly 12 to 15 pounds. Would I still shoot for about 1:15 per pound?? So maybe 7 to 10 hour range (bc the pieces of meat are smaller)- instead of 16ish hour range??
Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

I separate the point and the flat every time, and I believe it or not the point is done before the flat most of the time. They normally take 8-10 hours, and I like bark so I will leave them into the stall a little longer to get it. Being they are separate I can crutch one with butcher paper while the other one is naked until it is up to the temp I want before I wrap it. I get great results and it is the only way I will cook brisket.

I think I’m gonna try that. I like bark too and seems to shorten the cook a bit. It’s fun to experiment and try new things.

I think I’m gonna try that. I like bark too and seems to shorten the cook a bit. It’s fun to experiment and try new things.
I
I separate the point and the flat every time, and I believe it or not the point is done before the flat most of the time. They normally take 8-10 hours, and I like bark so I will leave them into the stall a little longer to get it. Being they are separate I can crutch one with butcher paper while the other one is naked until it is up to the temp I want before I wrap it. I get great results and it is the only way I will cook brisket.
I separated my first packer 15lb last weekend,from what I’ve read I really missed out by not doing the burnt ends !! Trimmed , separated, and put a dry rub on then fridged over nite . Did a 10 hr cook at 235. Crutched both pieces after a stall at 165 ( 6hrs in) and then let them finish in a foil wrap with beef broth , Let rest 20 min and sliced . My best yet !! Already planning my next brisket adventure and enjoying reading all the post .

Start the meat earlier than you think in order to ensure it is done when you need it to be done.
That's such great advice, but I often fail at it. 5 lb flat bought on sale looked really good thinking 7 ish hours...... 9 hours later I take it off for the rest. Am I the only one here that has to explain the importance of a good rest to their family members when they are hungry? Almost had a family coup take over........

Again I’m new to all of this - but results were great. I ended up getting an 17+ pound choice brisket. I separated the flat and point and put it on about 4am. We ate at 5:000m. Basically the whole thing got eaten and I think everyone enjoyed it. Burnt ends were amazing. Each time I do this I learn a little bit and will always tweak stuff. Thanks again for all the advice. This forum is so helpful. The Bull makes it difficult to mess this stuff up too badly - I love that smoker.

Thanks again!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back