Setting up to use sear plates?

Doublebull

So when using sear plates you just set them on right side on top of grates that are in place? No removing heat deflector or drip pan? Maybe when researching other cookers I had seen something about pulling one or the other to prevent warping.....not sure why this step is in my head.

Mike

Kind of good admin
Staff member
Grill(s) owned
Bull
So when using sear plates you just set them on right side on top of grates that are in place? No removing heat deflector or drip pan? Maybe when researching other cookers I had seen something about pulling one or the other to prevent warping.....not sure why this step is in my head.
I leave the stock Rec Tec grates in place as well as my deflector and drip pan and place the Sear grates on the right side of the grill.

Baumer

Grill(s) owned
Bull
Yep, my sear plates stay in on the right side.. I also use a heavy duty cookie sheet with a 1/2 in raised mesh grill insert to place the meat on... right on top of regular rec Tec grills to keep the mess down.. I cook the 3in cowboy cut porter houses or ribeyes @ 250’ to internal temp of 140.. then remove the meat-cookie sheet... loosely rap in foil and turn up the grill to hi.. when it hits 500’ , I place the steaks directly on the sear plates for exactly 4 min per side .. I like to rotate them at 90’ to get a nice cross grill mark.. Them , remove & let rest for 20 min... slice to perfection.. look at some of my latest results, Best to you all, Eldon

ECAB84C6-F953-4AA7-8294-2456427D80EB.jpegF2F49EE9-75ED-4ED5-8F89-F53B605B4852.jpeg74BD9AC8-6B99-463E-BBD4-B9C38ADE5DDA.jpegB0004BB7-2CA5-49BB-870A-937781D36B4A.jpeg69B93490-39E4-481D-8745-8DAD3B5A1A0B.jpegAE147725-55BB-4280-A894-05A0B1E9E9B8.jpeg2415033E-C666-4C65-831D-5D3ACBDFA4C2.jpeg843E778D-CF6D-4686-BAA1-F7B236F7A9AC.jpeg1194B0CA-8B73-4C71-9FC7-2C67D84EB58D.jpeg22BE72A6-ECBE-4DA3-9EEB-FDAD2DDA3B56.jpeg

RxColt

Grill(s) owned
Bull
Yep, my sear plates stay in on the right side.. I also use a heavy duty cookie sheet with a 1/2 in raised mesh grill insert to place the meat on... right on top of regular rec Tec grills to keep the mess down.. I cook the 3in cowboy cut porter houses or ribeyes @ 250’ to internal temp of 140.. then remove the meat-cookie sheet... loosely rap in foil and turn up the grill to hi.. when it hits 500’ , I place the steaks directly on the sear plates for exactly 4 min per side .. I like to rotate them at 90’ to get a nice cross grill mark.. Them , remove & let rest for 20 min... slice to perfection.. look at some of my latest results, Best to you all, Eldon
Too bad you don’t have any good examples to look at! Those are LEGIT! Pretty work

Grilltreats

The GrillGrates placed on the right-side is the normal recommended location, but after a while you'll figure out that the center is the hottest spot right above where the deflector plate is. This location will get the plates the hottest for searing the best.

I picked up a Bullseye. I modified my Bull GrillGrates to fit the Bullseye, which works great for my wife and I. I no longer use the plates on the Bull since the Bullseye is the king when it comes to searing meats. I would highly recommend the new updated Bullseye when it comes back out near Christmas 2019. Hopefully RT doesn't screw it up with whatever upgrades they have in mind for it. I use the Bullseye a lot more than my Bull during the week. It's an awesome compliment to the Bull.

Mitch01

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
Bull
The GrillGrates placed on the right-side is the normal recommended location, but after a while you'll figure out that the center is the hottest spot right above where the deflector plate is. This location will get the plates the hottest for searing the best.

I picked up a Bullseye. I modified my Bull GrillGrates to fit the Bullseye, which works great for my wife and I. I no longer use the plates on the Bull since the Bullseye is the king when it comes to searing meats. I would highly recommend the new updated Bullseye when it comes back out near Christmas 2019. Hopefully RT doesn't screw it up with whatever upgrades they have in mind for it. I use the Bullseye a lot more than my Bull during the week. It's an awesome compliment to the Bull.
So what do you know about the new Bullseye? I've been contemplating on getting one, and this might pull me over the edge.