Setting up to use sear plates?

Doublebull

So when using sear plates you just set them on right side on top of grates that are in place? No removing heat deflector or drip pan? Maybe when researching other cookers I had seen something about pulling one or the other to prevent warping.....not sure why this step is in my head.

So when using sear plates you just set them on right side on top of grates that are in place? No removing heat deflector or drip pan? Maybe when researching other cookers I had seen something about pulling one or the other to prevent warping.....not sure why this step is in my head.
I leave the stock Rec Tec grates in place as well as my deflector and drip pan and place the Sear grates on the right side of the grill.

Yep, my sear plates stay in on the right side.. I also use a heavy duty cookie sheet with a 1/2 in raised mesh grill insert to place the meat on... right on top of regular rec Tec grills to keep the mess down.. I cook the 3in cowboy cut porter houses or ribeyes @ 250’ to internal temp of 140.. then remove the meat-cookie sheet... loosely rap in foil and turn up the grill to hi.. when it hits 500’ , I place the steaks directly on the sear plates for exactly 4 min per side .. I like to rotate them at 90’ to get a nice cross grill mark.. Them , remove & let rest for 20 min... slice to perfection.. look at some of my latest results, Best to you all, Eldon

ECAB84C6-F953-4AA7-8294-2456427D80EB.jpeg
F2F49EE9-75ED-4ED5-8F89-F53B605B4852.jpeg
74BD9AC8-6B99-463E-BBD4-B9C38ADE5DDA.jpeg
B0004BB7-2CA5-49BB-870A-937781D36B4A.jpeg
69B93490-39E4-481D-8745-8DAD3B5A1A0B.jpeg
AE147725-55BB-4280-A894-05A0B1E9E9B8.jpeg
2415033E-C666-4C65-831D-5D3ACBDFA4C2.jpeg
843E778D-CF6D-4686-BAA1-F7B236F7A9AC.jpeg
1194B0CA-8B73-4C71-9FC7-2C67D84EB58D.jpeg
22BE72A6-ECBE-4DA3-9EEB-FDAD2DDA3B56.jpeg

Yep, my sear plates stay in on the right side.. I also use a heavy duty cookie sheet with a 1/2 in raised mesh grill insert to place the meat on... right on top of regular rec Tec grills to keep the mess down.. I cook the 3in cowboy cut porter houses or ribeyes @ 250’ to internal temp of 140.. then remove the meat-cookie sheet... loosely rap in foil and turn up the grill to hi.. when it hits 500’ , I place the steaks directly on the sear plates for exactly 4 min per side .. I like to rotate them at 90’ to get a nice cross grill mark.. Them , remove & let rest for 20 min... slice to perfection.. look at some of my latest results, Best to you all, Eldon
Too bad you don’t have any good examples to look at! Those are LEGIT! Pretty work

The GrillGrates placed on the right-side is the normal recommended location, but after a while you'll figure out that the center is the hottest spot right above where the deflector plate is. This location will get the plates the hottest for searing the best.

I picked up a Bullseye. I modified my Bull GrillGrates to fit the Bullseye, which works great for my wife and I. I no longer use the plates on the Bull since the Bullseye is the king when it comes to searing meats. I would highly recommend the new updated Bullseye when it comes back out near Christmas 2019. Hopefully RT doesn't screw it up with whatever upgrades they have in mind for it. I use the Bullseye a lot more than my Bull during the week. It's an awesome compliment to the Bull.

The GrillGrates placed on the right-side is the normal recommended location, but after a while you'll figure out that the center is the hottest spot right above where the deflector plate is. This location will get the plates the hottest for searing the best.

I picked up a Bullseye. I modified my Bull GrillGrates to fit the Bullseye, which works great for my wife and I. I no longer use the plates on the Bull since the Bullseye is the king when it comes to searing meats. I would highly recommend the new updated Bullseye when it comes back out near Christmas 2019. Hopefully RT doesn't screw it up with whatever upgrades they have in mind for it. I use the Bullseye a lot more than my Bull during the week. It's an awesome compliment to the Bull.
So what do you know about the new Bullseye? I've been contemplating on getting one, and this might pull me over the edge.

I know nothing about the new Bullseye. I wanna say I heard Ray Carnes (co-founder) say in a video that it will have a new controller of some sort. Maybe a PID controller like the others, but it's best to wait for it to officially arrive to know what all has been changed on it. I personally think adding a PID controller to it would mess up the concept of the open lid cooking ability of it, but I also know these guys know what they are doing, and they won't mess it up.

For those with some handyman skills, the upgrades are suppose to be available for the original Bullseye's as well. I'll take a look at them and the cost and decide once available.

I saw the video that started with the custom finish mugs they were gifted from a customer, and also announced the shelf and comp cart for the 590. The few things they said about the pending new Bullseye were that they now expect to offer it in "early 2020". Yes, they say it will have PID and a port for temp probe(s), as well as some other features they won't discuss just yet. Said it would be brought out initially at the same price as the previous model.
With supposed capability of 700 degrees it might be a good pizza alternative as well as the searing capabilities.

Hmmm I wonder what diff it makes right or left?

On R-T's YouTube channel their logic for placing them on the right hand side is due to a shorter travel path of grease to exit the pit. But as noted by Grilltreats, we may have individual personal preference for other reasons.

I will weigh in here. As you can see in my avatar and my first few posts on this site...i consider myself a novice and most of what i am doing is still experiments. BUT... the thing my family will say i have nailed is the reverse sear steaks.

I do center for grates. I cook at a low temp to get to a 125 degree or even 120 (don't shoot me my wife and kids will only eat it if i hit med to med +). I start generally with very thick cuts. 2+ inches. Best cuts are generally bone in ribeyes but i do filet (also do Venison back straps a lot).

Prior to the cook i clean up grates (don't wash with soap - never).. knock off the big chunks run under hot water then dry. After they are dry i do a light coat of avocado oil. Once steaks hit the desired temp they are pulled to rest and I insert the grates to 700 and I take the temps up (20-30 mins depending on season). Get it up to 500+.

When temp is reached, I throw the steaks on. 2 mins then twist. (4 mins a side). This pic (my avatar and i have dozens like this) are what they look like. They melt in our mouths and the smoke (ultimate blend pellets) has been perfect!!! My dog even starts barking when we are eating which he never does.

Because of the thickness i slice the steaks versus serve them whole. Often the Tomahawk ribeyes are 36 oz so too big for my family (i am ok with it that size - ha). So...again i generally slice. And the beauty of the slice is you do get a variety of mediums to medium rares for the table.

Ok...i admit... I am a little proud of my steaks. :) And yes... My wife HATES when i take pics of food. Ha. Good luck!

Attachments

• July4th Reverse Sear.JPG
    July4th Reverse Sear.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 147
I will weigh in here. As you can see in my avatar and my first few posts on this site...i consider myself a novice and most of what i am doing is still experiments. BUT... the thing my family will say i have nailed is the reverse sear steaks.

I do center for grates. I cook at a low temp to get to a 125 degree or even 120 (don't shoot me my wife and kids will only eat it if i hit med to med +). I start generally with very thick cuts. 2+ inches. Best cuts are generally bone in ribeyes but i do filet (also do Venison back straps a lot).

Prior to the cook i clean up grates (don't wash with soap - never).. knock off the big chunks run under hot water then dry. After they are dry i do a light coat of avocado oil. Once steaks hit the desired temp they are pulled to rest and I insert the grates to 700 and I take the temps up (20-30 mins depending on season). Get it up to 500+.

When temp is reached, I throw the steaks on. 2 mins then twist. (4 mins a side). This pic (my avatar and i have dozens like this) are what they look like. They melt in our mouths and the smoke (ultimate blend pellets) has been perfect!!! My dog even starts barking when we are eating which he never does.

Because of the thickness i slice the steaks versus serve them whole. Often the Tomahawk ribeyes are 36 oz so too big for my family (i am ok with it that size - ha). So...again i generally slice. And the beauty of the slice is you do get a variety of mediums to medium rares for the table.

Ok...i admit... I am a little proud of my steaks. :) And yes... My wife HATES when i take pics of food. Ha. Good luck!
You should be proud! God bless and grill on!

View attachment 1221View attachment 1222View attachment 1223View attachment 1224View attachment 1225View attachment 1226View attachment 1227View attachment 1228View attachment 1229View attachment 1230
Where did you get the heavy duty cookie sheet with a 1/2 in raised mesh grill insert? Thanks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back