Should I seal my Rec Tec grill? Answered!

I just cleaned this puppy the other day after about 8-months of neglect/grilling, lol. I used Totally Awesome from the Dollar Store to cut the light grease and Bar Keepers Friend (liquid) to cut the baked on stuff along with a Scott pad running with the grain. I finished her off with some Therapy SS cleaner/polish. She's all smiles now.

Cleaned RT-700 6-25-19.jpg

So everyone that HAS installed a seal...
What are your thoughts now about smoke and heat loss and air flow?...
Cooking differences?

Well I can finally weigh in on the subject. I did go ahead and seal the lid to my Bull. Mostly for helping to keep it cleaner. Thank you @Grilltreats oh mighty master for the clean grill...(Yes I ordered the BKF on your suggestion) I can attest that it does do that. After a 10 hour session the grill required almost no cleanup to the outside. The inside a different story...LOL

As to heat loss and airflow..This is my personal observation.. On my first long cook the grill I did from the get go lower my feed rate from 6.0 to 4.5 because of my high starting ambient temps we have here in Florida and from what I had read before I got the grill I just knew it would have to be adjusted. At that rate it maintained 225 with no issue before the lid seal.
After the lid seal I set the temp to 225 and it would not go below 235-240 even after an hour of letting it settle in. The seal was the only difference I had made. I readjusted the feed rate down to 3.5 and she came right down to 225 and held fast. In my observation....adding the seal made the unit more efficient and thus required me to use less fuel.
I cooked a meal with it and it turned out fantastic both in looks and flavor.

Less fuel consumption and cleaner outside I would have to say ...WIN...WIN! YMMV

Well I can finally weigh in on the subject. I did go ahead and seal the lid to my Bull. Mostly for helping to keep it cleaner. Thank you @Grilltreats oh mighty master for the clean grill...(Yes I ordered the BKF on your suggestion) I can attest that it does do that. After a 10 hour session the grill required almost no cleanup to the outside. The inside a different story...LOL

As to heat loss and airflow..This is my personal observation.. On my first long cook the grill I did from the get go lower my feed rate from 6.0 to 4.5 because of my high starting ambient temps we have here in Florida and from what I had read before I got the grill I just knew it would have to be adjusted. At that rate it maintained 225 with no issue before the lid seal.
After the lid seal I set the temp to 225 and it would not go below 235-240 even after an hour of letting it settle in. The seal was the only difference I had made. I readjusted the feed rate down to 3.5 and she came right down to 225 and held fast. In my observation....adding the seal made the unit more efficient and thus required me to use less fuel.

Less fuel consumption and cleaner outside I would have to say ...WIN...WIN! YMMV

Good deal! Sorry I didn't give you the link to the Vision grill gasket I used, but here it is for any wanting to do the same: https://www.amazon.com/LavaLock®-Hi...ay&sprefix=Vision+grill+gasket,aps,155&sr=8-4

I actually saw a Vision grill at a country furniture store while looking for furniture. It's just another ceramic grill, nothing special, but they use a thick, wide gasket, which is a perfect gasket for these Rec Tecs.

I also keep my Bull at 3.5, so I guess this is why (very efficient).

Good deal! Sorry I didn't give you the link to the Vision grill gasket I used, but here it is for any wanting to do the same: https://www.amazon.com/LavaLock®-High-Temp-Vision-Replacement-CORRECT/dp/B01N1QKCR2/ref=sr_1_4?crid=OZKNY3ESYCRG&keywords=vision+grill+gasket&qid=1563201796&s=gateway&sprefix=Vision+grill+gasket,aps,155&sr=8-4

I actually saw a Vision grill at a country furniture store while looking for furniture. It's just another ceramic grill, nothing special, but they use a thick, wide gasket, which is a perfect gasket for these Rec Tecs.

I also keep my Bull at 3.5, so I guess this is why (very efficient).
Yep....thats the one I used...plenty to do the lid and the door to my added smoke box. It may even be enough to do the pellet hopper but that would be more for the moisture block than anything else. High humidity here in Florida.

Where exactly are y’all putting the seal? Please post some up close pictures
Thanks

Todd, did you see the first posting on this thread? That's probably as good a picture as this site has of an installation on a Bull lid.

Just sealed my Bull, big difference, and my temps are staying spot on.

One thing I noticed is that the bottom edge still lets a little smoke out, looks like some small weights on the horns would help, but I don't think it is worth the effort.

Just sealed my Bull, big difference, and my temps are staying spot on.

One thing I noticed is that the bottom edge still lets a little smoke out, looks like some small weights on the horns would help, but I don't think it is worth the effort.
Dont bother with the weights.....once the grill comes up to temp after the first couple of cook with the seal....it will settle in. The weight of the lid will do it.

Some interesting reading on whether to seal or not to seal. I think I’m going to give it a try, since it will not void the warranty.

Also, going to lower the auger feed rate, like others have done, after putting the seal on. I’m hoping this will also help with an issue I’ve had at times where if I open the lid to check temperatures, do some spritzing, etc., the Bull really turns on the heat to catch back up to the set temperature. In doing so, it may get as much as 20 degrees above the set temp before it comes back down. With a slower feed rate, I’m hoping this will help to where it doesn’t get so hot before getting back to the set temp.

At a very minimum, it has kept my grill cleaner on the outside, which in turn should say more smoke is staying inside as well as heat. Not sure excatly how long, atleast it's out the chimney not the lid.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRG
Back