Should I wait until it gets warmer in Spring to buy a grill?

semperbjj

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hello all,

I am about ready to pull the trigger on a Stampede, but since it's already fall and winter is coming, I am a little hesitant about buying it now, and having it sit largely unused in my yard during the winter. That said, there's still plenty of opportunities to use it between now and when it gets really cold.

I would very much appreciate your opinions, and tips on winter storage / maintenance. Do you guys just let it sit outside with the grill cover on, or do you wheel it back into the garage (not really an option for me because I plan to place the grill on my deck, which could require going down a few steps to get to the garage)?

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Where do you live? I feel like I use my grill and smoker a lot more during the fall, winter, spring than I do during the summer. If you get a cover there shouldn't be any issues leaving it on the deck, and even without a cover the stainless steel isnt going to rust.

Couple ways to look at this, i am fortunate to live in a place it never gets colder than high 40's and thats rare. Personally i leave mine outside year round, usually covered when not in use. If your going to get it anyways, you might as well get it now and start playing and enjoying. It doesnt matter if you wait till spring, your still going to have to figure out what you want to do come the following winter. There are plenty around the forum that use theirs in the cold of winter. They will be your best resource in regards to that but i suspect that just keeping it covered should be fine. I leave mine plugged in covered year round.

I plan on using mine year round, just as I did my gasser. I've read some debate on other grill forums on whether a cover does more harm than good, but when I went without on my old grill blowing snow got into it rendering it out of service until warmer weather came. I have found my Stampede cover tends to trap moisture on top of the grill, so I have been considering buying a generic one that is better vented and fits looser. I'm keeping an eye on it as the weather turns cooler. The wet may not hurt the stainless steel but there's still powder coated steel and electronics to worry about.

I have also been on the fence on pulling the trigger. ND temps may really limit use this winter, which loses me about 4-months warranty time if it was needed. Possible where OP was going with this.

I got mine in January.

I've used it for cooks during the NFL playoffs and all the way up until now.

I like to smoke, grill, BBQ, meats all year round...I wouldn't wait...lol. (NW Ohio)

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I pulled the trigger on the Stampede! I'm NYC, I hope I can cook all year round with it as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back