Trailblazer Smoke coming out of the pellet hopper

Shrooms
1697144879591.gif

I think this ☝️ Is a good suggestion. The one thing I noticed in the photos was more dust than I usually see in my hopper. Sometimes, we get a bag of pellets with excess dust and that invites burn back.
I get a bag of dusty pellets every so often. I have a mesh laundry bag I pour them into when I see that to separate the pellets from the dust then store the pellets in an airtight “Vittle Vault” container. The dust is likely to promote a back burn.
Get yourself a bucket head vac and clean it out. I use the vac as a quick way to empty the hopper too. Just be sure the bucket is empty of any old ash and the grill is cold.

How hot and how long was it running? I have noticed that if I run mine very hot for awhile I get small amounts of smoke coming from the hopper. After opening the lid I typically find the lid is covered with accumulated water droplets that was steamed out of the pellets.

Pellets will always hold a bit of moisture and if the hopper is hot enough it will force steam out.

If the bag of pellets is real dust also probably means the pellets are starting to break down. When that happens I mix better pellets with the crumbling ones and use them up.

There are several threads on installing LavaLock; use the forum search tool for “LavaLock.” It is actually a pretty easy install; the key is making sure the mounting surfaces are clean and degreased. I use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol for that. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NFSFBXQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The LavaLock is peel-and-stick, and easy to cut to length, so pretty simple. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DMFP1TO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for the pellets, I would just go ahead and use them, but if you are more comfortable removing them, go ahead. The cost of a hopper full of pellets would be small compared to the cost of being worried about it. YMMV
I did the same on the pellet hopper... Problem solved very little smoke coming out around the lid.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back