Bull Smoke daddy anyone? What's your experience?

JohnDS

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey someone mentioned a smoke daddy in one of my other posts. I started researching and it looks interesting. One thing I've noticed about pellet smoke vs stick burner smoke aside from mildness, is you can never replicate that same true smoke flavor from pellets as you would from real wood chips or chunks in it's natural form. This may be the answer so I'm wondering what anyone thinks that have used this. Also, I see they have the Big Kahuna and the Magnum P.I.G. Is the Magnum too big for the 700rt?

John,
I'm new to pellet smoking. But I've been learning quickly over the 6 weeks I've had my Bull. Ribs, brisket, tri-tip, fish, cheese, chicken, etc. I'm bbq'ing faster than I'm eating. LOL.

I've been happy with the smoke intensity by doing a stepped temperature smoke. I start at 180/LO and impart a good amount of smoke and progressively increase temperature.

That said, my interest in a Smoke Daddy a few years back was for low temperature use. If you don't have the smoke box, a Smoke Daddy may be a nice way to do some cheese. The guys on the Bubba/Big Steel Keg forum used them extensively for low temp smoking. But I'm just not seeing the need for the meats, and I don't even use a smoke tube.

John,
I'm new to pellet smoking. But I've been learning quickly over the 6 weeks I've had my Bull. Ribs, brisket, tri-tip, fish, cheese, chicken, etc. I'm bbq'ing faster than I'm eating. LOL.

I've been happy with the smoke intensity by doing a stepped temperature smoke. I start at 180/LO and impart a good amount of smoke and progressively increase temperature.

That said, my interest in a Smoke Daddy a few years back was for low temperature use. If you don't have the smoke box, a Smoke Daddy may be a nice way to do some cheese. The guys on the Bubba/Big Steel Keg forum used them extensively for low temp smoking. But I'm just not seeing the need for the meats, and I don't even use a smoke tube.

Yes i do have the smoke box. I think it gets too hot for cheese or true cold smoking. They used to call it a cold smoke box but i guess they changed it because of said reason.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the heck out of this pellet smoker and the flavor of smoke is good at 225. I never tried 275. But you cant replicate the flavor of real wood chips or chunks when smoking meats. Im looking to cook at 275, so i assume i will get even less pellet smoke at this temperature. This is the reason im interested in the smoke daddy. I will be able to get more smoke at higher temps and real wood smoke. Also I'll be able to do a true cold smoke for whatever.

I got the Magnum P.I.G, but my dilemma now is figuring out where to install it. With the smoke box on one side and the shelf on the other, i cant drill a hole on the flat part below the drip pan without it being in an inaccessible location. If i mount in the back or front, it will be on an angle because the rectec is rounded. I think i might extend the output tube on the smoke daddy with some kind of flexible conduit so i can mount the unit wherever i want and still install and drill the hole on either side below drip pan like its supposed to be.

I just received my Smoke Daddy and purchased everything I needed to make an extension so the smoke won’t come out so close to the grease drip spout, but now I’m having second thoughts on whether to install or not. I’m concerned on creosote flavor or creosote getting all over the inside of my smoker. I’m getting this concern based off some YouTube comments. I would love the extra smoke, but I want good smoke. Not strong white smoke. Maybe I will light it up and test it a few times before I drill the hole in my RecTec and install it. I do read it takes some getting used to and to get it to work/fire properly. For right now I‘m leaving it off until I see it work how I want it to. Decisions decisions. Lol

I just received my Smoke Daddy and purchased everything I needed to make an extension so the smoke won’t come out so close to the grease drip spout, but now I’m having second thoughts on whether to install or not. I’m concerned on creosote flavor or creosote getting all over the inside of my smoker. I’m getting this concern based off some YouTube comments. I would love the extra smoke, but I want good smoke. Not strong white smoke. Maybe I will light it up and test it a few times before I drill the hole in my RecTec and install it. I do read it takes some getting used to and to get it to work/fire properly. For right now I‘m leaving it off until I see it work how I want it to. Decisions decisions. Lol

Hey Snook,

It's funny you mention the extension. I did the same thing but sort of in reverse on the exterior. I have the smoke box on one side and the shelf on the other so I basically bought items to extend the tube about 12"-16" so it clears the shelf or the smoke box, depending on which side i decide to install it on). I bought stuff to hang it nice because of the length and weight. This might solve your problem so you have the option to locate your smoke daddy on the shelf side instead.

As for the white smoke, apparently you are supposed to get thin blue quality smoke, so this is disappointing if thats the case. From what I've seen so far on videos it looks like it pours out crappy thick white smoke, doesn't look blue to me lol, but maybe its the camera. I read one amazon review where the guy suggested letting it burn for 20min before you put your food on to get past the white smoke. Also the directions say to use hardwood briquets to start the fire and add wood chips and chunks. They dont suggest pellets, but why use pellets anyway?

I haven't installed yet because of the week of rain we had here in long island since it arrived in the mail. I'm very interested in how it turns out for you if you get to installing before i do, and I'm excited if it works to get that real wood smoke flavor and be able to cook at higher temps with good smoke. Also true cold smoking as well is a benefit. Please report back. Thanks!

Last edited:
Finally got it installed! With modifications of course.

IMG_20200209_135142.jpg

you guys are so impressive with your engineering skills. I am not drilling a whole in my 1k+ smoker. Ha!

With that said, I never have a problem with enough smoke. In fact, as i am hitting one full year of ownership i can finally understand the guys who say... there is such a thing as too much smoke.

As stated on my posts before, the reverse sear steak is my specialty on my 700... but i have to admit the first/second bites are sooo amazing it taints the fact that by the end of one of these big ribeyes that the smoke flavor becomes a bit overwhelming. I find it actually gets to a point where it is too much. My tolerance is high but i have cooked them for people who rave early during the meal but i find by the end they are also feeling it is how you would describe a "rich" chocolate. Delicious but can only eat so much.

If i feel i need hard wood..i just use a tube/smoker box. I am sure this is much better... but again.. the idea of drilling a hole in my 700 doesn't sound exciting to me! ha.

you guys are so impressive with your engineering skills. I am not drilling a whole in my 1k+ smoker. Ha!

With that said, I never have a problem with enough smoke. In fact, as i am hitting one full year of ownership i can finally understand the guys who say... there is such a thing as too much smoke.

As stated on my posts before, the reverse sear steak is my specialty on my 700... but i have to admit the first/second bites are sooo amazing it taints the fact that by the end of one of these big ribeyes that the smoke flavor becomes a bit overwhelming. I find it actually gets to a point where it is too much. My tolerance is high but i have cooked them for people who rave early during the meal but i find by the end

As stated on my posts before, the reverse sear steak is my specialty on my 700... but i have to admit the first/second bites are sooo amazing it taints the fact that by the end of one of these big ribeyes that the smoke flavor becomes a bit overwhelming. I find it actually gets to a point where it is too much. My tolerance is high but i have cooked them for people who rave early during the meal but i find by the end they are also feeling it is how you would describe a "rich" chocolate. Delicious but can only eat so much.

If i feel i need hard wood..i just use a tube/smoker box. I am sure this is much better... but again.. the idea of drilling a hole in my 700 doesn't sound exciting to me! ha.

are also feeling it is how you would describe a "rich" chocolate. Delicious but can only eat so much.

Idk. From the you tube videos with the smoke daddy, it looked to me like thick white smoke. Now using it, it still looks the same hahaha. Im really not too happy with the results of it. It seems like it just makes whatever you put in it, smolder with bad smoke.

As for holes? Wasn't a big deal, its only like a 1 inch hole and can be plugged. Besides, it's already full of holes, probe hole, stack hole, lid seam, grease drip hole. What's one more hole gonna hurt lol?

Which temp are you cooking your rib eyes that you feel its too much smoke? Im more concerned with cooking at higher temps and getting less smoke. The smoke daddy would be a great addition to introduce real wood smoke if it worked the way its advertised. Maybe im doing something wrong, but ive followed directions from them.

Ribeyes/Filets i start low (225) and go 2-3 hours based on size (thickness). When they hit 125 in temp i pull them on to a wood cutting board and let them rest while I insert the sear plates (with oil) and jack my bull to 500 degrees.

My bull will go up to close to 500 in summer but struggles past 450 in the winter. But 450 still gets my lines like the pics if oiled. The sear part is one of the few things i do precise with the smoker. Specifically:

Turn it up to 500 - takes about 10-15 minutes undisturbed (don't open lid) to get to temps and then i wait 20 mins at temp.. so a 30-40 min rest time for these steaks.

Then i put them on... 3 mins then rotate... 3 mins then flip then 3 mins then rotate.. total of 12 mins on grates. They look like my pic each time. And... smoky for sure.... When i pull them from the sear they rest again about 15 mins as i put everything else on the table.

I serve them sliced although my dad likes his own 2-3 pound tomahawk! Ha.

I am in the market for a new natural gas grill for 2020. My weber summit D9 finally gave out last summer after over 10 years of use. I am leaning to one with a great sear burner where i might pull steaks from the bull and sear on the grill. that would skip the rest... i will have to play with that a bit.

Idk. From the you tube videos with the smoke daddy, it looked to me like thick white smoke. Now using it, it still looks the same hahaha. Im really not too happy with the results of it. It seems like it just makes whatever you put in it, smolder with bad smoke.

As for holes? Wasn't a big deal, its only like a 1 inch hole and can be plugged. Besides, it's already full of holes, probe hole, stack hole, lid seam, grease drip hole. What's one more hole gonna hurt lol?

Which temp are you cooking your rib eyes that you feel its too much smoke? Im more concerned with cooking at higher temps and getting less smoke. The smoke daddy would be a great addition to introduce real wood smoke if it worked the way its advertised. Maybe im doing something wrong, but ive followed directions from them.
Hey John,

I haven't been on this forum in forever but just seeing this. When I first got my Rec Tec Bull in April of '19, I liked the smoke flavor on most items but others I wanted a little more. I first got the SmokeDaddy Heavy D but that still wasn't doing it for me and was a pain to keep temps. I found out lining in foil fixed that issue but wanted a little more.

I did some research and ended up getting the SmokeDaddy Magnum P.I.G. I installed mine on the right side because of the PID controller and didn't want to mess with extensions and also wanted to still be able to use my cover.

Unlike you, I've loved mine thus far! It definitely goes through fuel a ton faster than SmokeDaddy says but that's fine with me. As far as the type of smoke, from researching, talking to others, I found you need to get the coals at the bottom white/hot before adding wood. This usually takes 20 minutes or so. I have seen plenty of videos where people just fill up the whole canister and yeah, tons of white smoke will come out b/c of lack of oxygen. However, when I've let coals get super hot and ashing over, I add wood chunks, I get a nice TBS. Maybe that is your problem. I haven't done brisket with it but I've done chicken and loved it. I love using pecan wood with chicken and was so so happy with the results. It was exactly what I was looking for. I don't use the SmokeDaddy a lot as it does take away the set it and forget it for one. It definitely takes tending to but when I want to use it, I love the results. One thing I've noticed having it on the right side is sometimes the grease flies out(haven't seen it but noticed multiple times grease didn't go in the bucket).

The next time I use the SmokeDaddy, I will plan to try to foil around my bucket somehow. I'm not exactly sure how but hope to avoid the grease flying out. There is some build up in my grill but I got the same thing from using the Heavy D. When it builds up too much, I just scrap it off and vacuum it up.

Try next time either just letting the coals get hot in the canister or using a small chimney with coals before putting in the canister and I think your results will be a ton better.

Is your rec tech a 700? What smoke daddy model is that? How long can the daddy burn when filled? And can you cold smoke with the rec tech being off? And do you have a smoke box attached?
Please reply
Bob

- 700 yes
- Magnum P.I.G
- I haven't used it enough to figure out an exact time frame and wasn't really paying attention. I was more concerned with figuring out a way to get rid of the shitty white smoke that pours out of it. If I had to guess, maybe an hour or 2.
- Sure you can cold smoke with it independent of the rectec being on/off
- yes I have a "smoke box" attached, used to be called a "cold smoke box".?

Anyone researching this....I suggest don't follow the smokedaddy instructions. What I do is fill out the canister with charcoal about half way, light with a propane torch. After that, cap them and turn the pump on high. You will get some white smoke there just as if you were going to use a chimney. And if I had a small chimney, I would use it instead of the way I do it.

So after around 15 to 20 minutes, I check on the charcoals and see if most are white/hot. From there, I will add a few chunks. That initial smoke will be a little white but not like choked off fire puffy white. But this would be similar if you had an offset and added a new log.

Here is a long thread myself and others discussed this.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...t-pro-pid-upgrade-for-my-pb-austin-xl.291288/

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back