Stampede Smoke flavor

Cjohn2105

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I have had my stampede a few months now and so far I love it when grilling. My only issue thus far is I don't have much wood flavor when smoking meat. Is there anything I can do to fix this? My thought is maybe the feed rate would make a difference. Please help!

Adjusting the minimum feed rate isn't going give you more smoke flavor, it's a adjustment to help maintain the temperature on low temperature cooks and to keep the fire burning. Get a smoke tube or you can place wood chips or pellets on top of the heat deflector sheld.

Last edited:
Adjusting the minimum feed rate isn't going give you more smoke it's a adjustment to help maintain the temperature on low temperature cooks and keep the fire burning. Get a smoke tube or you can place wood chips or pellets on top of the heat deflector sheld.

Hi Have you tried putting wood chunks on the diffuser? I tried one time they didn't burn at all,maybe cause my temps were on the low side?
Dan

Hi Have you tried putting wood chunks on the diffuser? I tried one time they didn't burn at all,maybe cause my temps were on the low side?
Dan
Yes but you need to run the grill up to 350 or so to get the chips to light then back the grills temperature down from there. I guess you could also use a propane torch to get them going when putting the chips on the deflector which would probably be quicker.

Have you tried the LO/ high smoke setting? This seems to add a little more smoke flavor. You may need to adjust your cook time though.

I have had my stampede a few months now and so far I love it when grilling. My only issue thus far is I don't have much wood flavor when smoking meat. Is there anything I can do to fix this? My thought is maybe the feed rate would make a difference. Please help!
What temps are you cooking at? For all pellet grills the amount of smoke depends on how efficiently the fuel is being burned: higher temp = less smoke, lower temp = more smoke.

Lots of folks will start out on LO - Extreme Smoke to start a cook, then bump up the temp. Smoke tubes are another option as mentioned above.

Depending what you were accustomed to smoking in before, it probably won't match that profile. I use a smoke tube on just about every cook. Will burn for 2 hrs which is to our liking for the extra smoke.

What tube are you using? Mine can go longer than 2 hours.
Agree I get around 4 to 5 plus hours burn time out of this 12 inch octagon smoke tube, as you can see I don't fill it up fully either but do prop the open end up with a 4 inch long 1 inch round piece of scrap steel rod.
20200627_074909.jpg

Last edited:
I have the tray too, though I've only used it in my MES, not in the RT yet. I have the large expanding oval tube. It's given 5-6 hours of smoke on top of what the RT makes.

Yes but you need to run the grill up to 350 or so to get the chips to light then back the grills temperature down from there. I guess you could also use a propane torch to get them going when putting the chips on the deflector which would probably be quicker.

350!? I run chunks in mine all the time. I run it at 275 for a few mins, and your able to tell they light and start to smolder and I dial the temp down. never an issue, not one time have I been dissatisfied. and zero temp issues!!

Hi All Is it worth the extra $10 more for the expanable smoke tube, or is the 6" one enough?
Thanks Dan

Hi How long does the 6" tube smoke for? Have tray if needed??
Thanks Dan
6" tube will burn about 2 hrs. Tray will do about 8 -10 hrs. I don't fill rows completely full so there is no chance of it jumping rows.

What is the best way to grill hamburgers so they have a smoke flavor without having to use a smoke tube? I don't want to have to low heat for smoke flavor for couple of hours then turn up the heat.

It's the nature of all pellet grills that higher temp = less smoke. That's because smoke is a result of a less efficient combustion of the fuel. Lower temp means less efficient and so you get more smoke.

Burgers are a quick cook - minutes not hours - not much opportunity to get smoke on them if you don't run at Lo for a bit before cranking up the temp.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back