Smoke Question

Gotbbq

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey, I sealed my Bull a few weeks ago. Has anyone noticed smoke exiting the smoker from the vent where the grease is collected (bucket). Just noticed it. Common? Unusual? Maybe a good thing?

Mine did it before and after I partially sealed the lid on the top and bottom, it's totally normal for smoke to exit at the grease drain.

This is not a criticism, but I do tend to be a bit blunt. In order for the rig to work properly, particularly the fire/smoke part, you need to exhaust as much air as the fan inputs or the fire will starve out. It will find a way to get out whenever you try to "defeat" it. Every so often we have someone offer the notion that they want to "hold the smoke in for more flavor" or something along those lines. Fanciful idea, but fire doesn't work that way, or at least, not for long.

so - rec tec discourages "sealing" the lid and chamber. "leaking" is normal and needed for appropriate air/smoke flow. as stated above. its all part of the design.

Hey, I sealed my Bull a few weeks ago. Has anyone noticed smoke exiting the smoker from the vent where the grease is collected (bucket). Just noticed it. Common? Unusual? Maybe a good thing?
I've heard of several others seeing the same thing - smoke coming out of the grease drain.

smoke, air, etc. will escape from any hole or crack. its not sealed system, nor was it designed to be. grab a beer and chill out. Dont seal the lid or plug the grease drain. its probably going to do more bad than good. If you dont believe ask Rec Tec if they recommend sealing the lid or anything else.

Sealing the lid is a fraction of air loss compared to the exhaust or grease drain.
Sure do not seal the grease drain, do not seal the exhaust. But the lid, Really!!!
RecTec is not going to admit to a bad design. that is all.
The downdraft exhaust is the same square inches of exhaust as the original 3" hole so it does not restrict the airflow whatsoever. It just lowers the exhaust area to the grate level.
Yes smoke comes out of the exhaust. Yes smoke comes out of the drain hole. Yes smoke comes out of the opening for the probes. But to think that the little bit of space leaking out if the lid is going to effect the airflow is just downright ridiculous.
I sealed my lid to keep from cleaning the outside of the grill. The seasoning should stay inside!
Horns Out Baby!

Yes it's normal. I posted a way to also seal your probe door awhile back if interested.

This is not a criticism, but I do tend to be a bit blunt. In order for the rig to work properly, particularly the fire/smoke part, you need to exhaust as much air as the fan inputs or the fire will starve out. It will find a way to get out whenever you try to "defeat" it. Every so often we have someone offer the notion that they want to "hold the smoke in for more flavor" or something along those lines. Fanciful idea, but fire doesn't work that way, or at least, not for long.
So fire needs oxygen? :LOL:

I can tell you that Rec Tec does not recommend sealing the lid. I've reached out to them when I first got my grill and posted their feedback here, Should I seal my Rec Tec grill? Answered!
I can say this, this discussion is going to create allot of online engineers, and I don't claim to be one of them...but i do know this, when something is produced and gone through product testing/field testing and if it isn't tested during that phase a manufacture isn't going to go against it, or its engineers. it may work great, it may not and cause other issues. The unit was produced without one for what ever reason, and RT advises not to do it.

I sealed my unit but the door won’t stay closed. Too much air flow? ??
577DF6EC-4B21-4992-BF1C-74DA5C14ACAC.jpeg

I can say this, this discussion is going to create allot of online engineers, and I don't claim to be one of them...but i do know this, when something is produced and gone through product testing/field testing and if it isn't tested during that phase a manufacture isn't going to go against it, or its engineers. it may work great, it may not and cause other issues. The unit was produced without one for what ever reason, and RT advises not to do it.
Okay I think I got it..So
Leaky lid is a bi-directional ventilator.
Warped shield/Grease Fire is a Self Cleaner.
Skinny legs updated for more leg appeal.
Quirky Ap is customer service oriented.
External WI-FI antenae for actual Wi-Fi.
RTV Sealant because Orange goes w black.

Hey don't get me wrong, it is a great grill
and I would recommend it in a heartbeat.
BUT, sealing the lid is insignificant in as far as air flow goes.
Horns Out Baby!

Okay I think I got it..So
Leaky lid is a bi-directional ventilator.
Warped shield/Grease Fire is a Self Cleaner.
Skinny legs updated for more leg appeal.
Quirky Ap is customer service oriented.
External WI-FI antenae for actual Wi-Fi.
RTV Sealant because Orange goes w black.

Hey don't get me wrong, it is a great grill
and I would recommend it in a heartbeat.
BUT, sealing the lid is insignificant in as far as air flow goes.
Horns Out Baby!
Horns out needs more airflow! lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back