Smoked Bone-In Split Turkey Breast

cookingjnj

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Hi all,

Nothing exciting or dramatic to share, but shopping yesterday decided to pick up a 3.25# bone-in split turkey breast (already brined) for dinner tonight. I think when I saw it was already brined it swayed me to pick it up, not that brining is a tough thing to do anyway.

Usually I like to take the breast out of the fridge and rub with melted butter and then my favorite BBQ rub, then let it sit to come closer to room temp. Got a little tied up with work, so I got a late start. After taking the breast out of the fridge, I rinsed and dried then rubbed with EVOO and my favorite rub, and then basically right on the to the pit.

I set the RT for 225, and once it stabilized at that temp, put the breast on and smoked for 2 hours at 225. The breast was 48* internal when it hit the pit, and 111* internal at the two hour mark. I then raised the pit to 375 and just about an hour later it hit 162* internal and I took it off the pit to rest on the counter. During the rest it went to 166* which was perfect.

The bird was perfectly moist, with a nice smoke flavor to help accent the rub. The skin was not crispy, but it was not touch and chewy either, had a nice bite through when eating. Hmm Hmm good. Plenty of left overs for my wife's salad and my turkey sammie tomorrow.

Attachments

• Turkey Breast.JPG
    Turkey Breast.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 194
  • Turkey Breast Sliced.JPG
    Turkey Breast Sliced.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 111
Hi there. Your take on RecTec's boneless-skinless versus your split-bone in??? Both techniques are nearly identical with only an outside rub. I found a whole turkey breast and was just going to split it. (the frozen breast is 10.7 pounds. ) What's your take on just spatchcocking it? Probably would be no different than splitting.?? To do it whole would take all day. Thanks

Nice cook! I'm looking to smoke the Thanksgiving bird this year! I normally deep fry it and it's soooo good that way. We'll see what it's like smoked a little later in the year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back