Bull Spatchcock chicken

SafetyDan

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. RT-680
Just about 15 minutes from pulling the bird. Looking awesome.

What temp and how long did you cook it?

325 for 40 Minutes temps on Thigh 170 - Brest 167 (taken with Mk4). Skin did not crisp up, but very juicy. Next one will be 400.

I have now done several on my 590 at 375 and liked both the chicken and the skin. My wife hates rubbery skin but liked the 375 outcome.

I did 2 chickens yesterday ...spatchcocked for 90 min.....the meat was wonderful but the skin was not crisp at all. I am beginning to think that there is no such thing as crispy skin on a smoker... ☹

I am going to use 450 on the next cook and my IGrill 2 to monitor temps. That is what is used for over cooks.

I am going to use 450 on the next cook and my IGrill 2 to monitor temps. That is what is used for over cooks.
At 450 whats the point since there is no smoke at that temp? I can put it in my oven and get very crispy skin in that case. I keep thinking I am doing something wrong but not I am just not so sure!!!

At 450 whats the point since there is no smoke at that temp? I can put it in my oven and get very crispy skin in that case. I keep thinking I am doing something wrong but not I am just not so sure!!!

Slow and low at first for smoke flavor then high and fast to elimiate skin fat. The only other option is to cook on grill gates skin down.....

Slow and low at first for smoke flavor then high and fast to elimiate skin fat. The only other option is to cook on grill gates skin down.....
I thought about trying that....flipping the grill grates over to the smooth side facing up and trying that....Just a thought! Wheres Myron Mixon when you need him...LOL

@NU2SMOKE Didn't you pick up a smoke tube or was that @Buckeye smoker ? I'm thinking cook at 400 and toss in a smoker tube - best of both worlds. Or better yet, toss some wood chips on the deflector and crank that sucker up. Guessing at 400, it should cook pretty quickly with smoke added and crisp up that skin.

The above is what I'm going to try on my next SpC-Chicken.

NU2 - let the Spatchcock cook off begin. I have two amazin' smoke tubes 1- 12" & 1 - 6". I did not use them But that is a great idea. I will do chicken again next week - this week we are moving on to Plank Salmon and Octopus.

Im down....Ill do anything to get better results ....of course you do know....YOUR GOING DOWN!!! :devilish:

What branch did you serve in? I served 20 in the Navy then another 20 in the Civil Service in support of the Navy & Marine Corps.

NU2 - let the Spatchcock cook off begin. I have two amazin' smoke tubes 1- 12" & 1 - 6". I did not use them But that is a great idea. I will do chicken again next week - this week we are moving on to Plank Salmon and Octopus.
I have good ideas from time to time.. Just ask @NU2SMOKE as he loves my "smoother Ragu over everything" idea. ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back